Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

El Viejo wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
That said what the young gentleman is asking for
It's been a very long time since I was last called a 'young gentleman'... thanks CA.

Good to see crimsonforge up and running again.
Sent you a pm, the Rammans keep is an interesting idea, we'll discuss it at some length. :)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

You could be daring and put a galaxy name (in brackets, maybe) at the top of each chart.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

El Viejo wrote:
You could be daring and put a galaxy name (in brackets, maybe) at the top of each chart.
Yeah I was reading the tread on that, to be honest this is not my call to make. It IS canon but one version of the canon, not all. In a version that few (as far as I can tell) played on.

So as you can appreciate it's all a bit up in the air really. As with every other single thing I've done with the maps (pretty much) the audience gets what the audience wants. You want the canon Galazy names then get about 3 or four people together and tell me son if not do the same.

Of course I'll fix the stuff that's wrong or broken but from experience making choices like this without consultation can lead to speedy revisions.

I'm warming to the idea of Ramman's keep after talking it through. Anyone have any objections to the new sector?
Last edited by ClymAngus on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

Is it possible to have the maps with a white background for printing purposes? I really like the maps, but I'm playing in full screen mode most of the time. This makes switching to the maps more difficult.

With a white background I might even print them on A0 on our printer at work. Makes nice wallpaper..
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Pluisje wrote:
Is it possible to have the maps with a white background for printing purposes? I really like the maps, but I'm playing in full screen mode most of the time. This makes switching to the maps more difficult.

With a white background I might even print them on A0 on our printer at work. Makes nice wallpaper..
Well I can certainly give it a try (should only need copying and recoloring 2 layers on the ai file). Which galaxy are you in at the moment?

To recap:
1) minor fixes
2) new sector in g2
3) printable versions
4) galaxy names

now at least one of these requires a medium level alteration to all the maps. but I'd rather not keep on having to go back and republish as we knock each of these down so if there are objections to any or all of these then sooner rather than later would be cooler.

:)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Pluisje wrote:

I like the idea of AO size printed maps… I’ll have a set please, Pluisje. Are you using Windows, btw… I have no problems switching from Oolite in full screen mode… I minimise Oolite to the task bar and bring-up the chart that I have sitting open and ready there.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Hmm well it's looking like the background getting changed to a C1C1C1 gray and the sectors to a 999999 deeper gray. That should stop the printers going bang!

I'll see if I can get a test up and if you like it we'll go through the lot.

Why not g2 as it appears to be a hub of activity currently?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

OK take a look here:

www.crimsonforge.co.uk/cloister/gOOmap_G2.pdf

Oh and this also has the corrections on it requested earlier.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

That's quite effective... looks good.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I'd be interested to see if it prints OK. It is a little less "forceful" on the toner!
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

I use a second computer, a laptop, with the black background vector maps as part of the "ship's computer" material when I play. But the lighter background would be great for zooming in on say, "The Citadels of Chaos" and a few surrounding systems to print out hard copy "star charts" to have on a clipboard and maybe scrawl a few notes on.

The Vector maps are just great! Can't say it enough times. The in-game f6 map does a fine job for what it is, and I wouldn't change it. It's one of the bits of Oolite that takes one back to the feel of Elite. But I think of the Vector maps as the "real" starcharts and f6 more as "laying in a course".

The Vector maps are one of my all-time favourite Oolite things that are not actually the game or an OXP. Even maybe a little better than my clipboard of printouts of the wiki or website pages for all the ships including OXP ships I've added to my Ooniverse. If any of the ship designers or wiki page maintainers ever wonder if anybody actually reads all that stuff, the answer is "Yes, some of us do!" LOL
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Right well that's good enough for me! Gray printables (and a new sector in gal2 on it's way!)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Sweet!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks CA… I really like those greyscale charts. In a way, they’re more authentic-looking… like real astronomical star charts (my Norton’s Star Atlas, for instance, where the background is white, and the stars are black).