Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hey, who’s this Джайлз Вильямс guy who’s apparently publishing stable and test releases periodically? :-)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I don't know, but he sounds like a bit of a dodgy gezzer if you ask me.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oi, leave Giles alone! :)

Hmmm, stable releases! Drool....
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

About roolite.org

Post by seventh »

Guys, you have visited my site before the official opening :D.
I have finished the main site just 4 days ago and planned to present it to you next week.

The section "Обсуждение" ( "Discussion") -is the future forum like this one, but in Russian and it's not ready yet.

I tried to design the site one year ago,when I met Oolite the first time .
(in early 90-s I was a big fan of Elite and Oolite is nothing more than my dreams 20 years ago)
But could not finish the site, cause I had not time at all:(

And the whole year I did not pay attention on the game.

Cause I did not have any "work for money" last 2 months , I have much time to develop my own projects:)
And one of them is ROOLITE. "ROOLITE" means Russian OOLITE.

Excuse me, If I wrote something wrong about developers. I promise to fix it if you tell me what's incorrect.

In credits - Giles Williams and contributors (Джайлз Вильямс сотоварищи) as authors of the game.

I will be very grateful for any feedbacks.

Thanks, guys. I will try to pay regularly attention to development Oolite as much as possible ( I'm a a graphic designer and a web developer)

Cause this is topic about Vector Maps I've posted the new one to separate 2 themes.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7134
CarlR
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by CarlR »

Hi.

Thanks for creating the Vector Maps, ClymAngus. :D

They don't appear to be on the Crimsonforge website anymore. e.g. crimsonforge.co.uk/cloister/OOmap_G5.pdf

I've googled but can't find them anywhere. Can anyone help me with a link? or are people using a different resource now?

Carl
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hmm.. I've no idea what the problem with Crimsonforge is, but in the meantime, I've uploaded copies to my server and edited the Wiki-page to point to them. The download links on the Wiki are working now.

Edit: it looks like ClymAngus has let the registration on his website lapse.. all I get when I go to the Crimsonforge home page is a placeholder page.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CarlR
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by CarlR »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I've uploaded copies to my server and edited the Wiki-page to point to them.
Thank you! :D
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

CarlR wrote:
Hi.

Thanks for creating the Vector Maps, ClymAngus. :D

They don't appear to be on the Crimsonforge website anymore. e.g. crimsonforge.co.uk/cloister/OOmap_G5.pdf

I've googled but can't find them anywhere. Can anyone help me with a link? or are people using a different resource now?

Carl
Yeah, it's real life encroaching on VR. I'm currently having a bit of a dispute over a webspace bill. I though I was paying too much, they disagreed, shoved the contract in my face and tried to screw around with my credit rating as a result. As a custodian of several sites I'm currently disentangling myself from "Fasthosts" (a tricky task at the best of times) as I disagree with their lack of negotiation skills. This does mean that I'm up for a double wammy site payment wise this year.

After which I should be able to cut my site bill in half if not 2/3'ds.

The main problem was their inability to marry 2 domain names up to one batch of hard drive space. Something that the company I'm moving to servage is very good at.

So yes, normal service will be resumed shortly sports fans. As soon as I have the cash to pay the bill.
Diziet Sma wrote:
Edit: it looks like ClymAngus has let the registration on his website lapse.. all I get when I go to the Crimsonforge home page is a placeholder page.
Not true, I still have the domain registered to me. The site has just been deleted pending it's re-download to servage. Also I never liked the word "lapse" in relation to webspaces. It makes something that is quite frankly a bit of a luxury, sound like a catastrophic turd related colonic failure.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Not true, I still have the domain registered to me. The site has just been deleted pending it's re-download to servage. Also I never liked the word "lapse" in relation to webspaces. It makes something that is quite frankly a bit of a luxury, sound like a catastrophic turd related colonic failure.
Ahh.. good to hear you still own the domain, it's always sad when a site dies..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Sorry for the worry but the £120 a year to hold onto Isotope and crimsonforge was crippling me. This way I can hang both domains off the same hard drive space and pay a grand total of £60.
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

Thanks so much for the vector maps, I found them on the wiki, but thought I would post here, hope the new hosting works out well.
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ladies and gentlemen the maps have been transferred back on the wiki (non-destructively) thank you for hosting them in my some what unfortunate absence. Coming back to this I have noticed one or two things.

G2; needs some cleaning up. The legends are a bit obscured. Which means a minor correction to the layers in the illistrator file.

G5; The route key and system key need a bit of adjusting as they are currently cut off by the page edge.

OK onto the BIG alterations;
I received this recently from our very own El Viejo

Is it possible/easy for you to edit your vector maps? I’ve been crawling all over chart two for ‘research’ purposes and have noticed a couple of small errors (so far) in your vector map #2:

# 38 Beraer (137,215) has no name.
# 116 Ceraqu (192,14) has a double a short distance away.

Oh, and Takla Makan should only have one 'N', not two.

It’s highly possible that I have old versions of your maps, as they’ve been on my machine for quite a while, but I can’t download other versions to check. If newer versions are available, I’ll look forward to downloading them when your hosting problem is sorted. (Maps, maps… I’ve loved maps, of any sort, ever since I was a child).

If editing is possible and/or necessary, would you consider creating a new sector, covering the seven systems in the bottom right hand corner, i.e. Anve, Inbeed, Onmate, Leaza, Sogebe, Soinuste and Ramaan… maybe called Ramaan’s Keep?

----------------------------------
So there is some fixing to be done. That said what the young gentleman is asking for in the second part of his post is not up to me it's up to you; ALL of you. Do you want a new sector in map 2?

So there is something to consider. ALSO, as I'm doing a bit of spring cleaning (ok winter cleaning) are there any other glaring errors not mentioned above that you have noticed? If so send them over and they shall be corrected!

Right I'm going to neaten up charts 5 but I'll wait on chart 2 so I can do it all in one big hit! Don't be shy, find the folly and we'll fix it! And remember if you fix an error that alters the map you are automatically added to the credits of the map in question.

By god it's good to be back! :)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Hmm the forum appears to have screwed up the date on my last post soooo. Bump!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

As I'm planning to your the Vector maps for some additional stuff for Svengali (LH2 and news from additional charts for Snoopers (chart2 almost finished)) and my own fiction - if I spot anything I'll let you know!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

ClymAngus wrote:
That said what the young gentleman is asking for
It's been a very long time since I was last called a 'young gentleman'... thanks CA.

Good to see crimsonforge up and running again.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!