Target Autolock OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
This has been almost forever in the game, and is mentioned in the wiki and the new Reference Sheet:
+ -:Cycle to next / previous target.
Yep, 'cept to hit the + key I need to to go Shift =, so I remapped mine to =- instead of +-.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Micha wrote:
Isn't that for the Target Memory? And if so, you have to have previously locked onto a target to put it into the TM..
Well, yes. The targets you're going through when pressing '-' or whatever is next to 0 on one's keyboard are all targets you've locked on previously. That is target memory and is what Screet described, or did I misunderstand?
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I was replying to Diziet's comment regarding the way it worked in Status Quo :)
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Target Autolock OXP v1.00 - New Release

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
It's an add-on software upgrade to the scanner targeting enhancement equipment, and is designed to automatically lock onto any vessel attacking your ship if you don't already have a target lock on something.
Hmmm. I just disabled my MASC for some other tests and had interesting results:

1) the auto-lock goes for missiles!
2) the auto-lock apparantly only targets ships which did fire at me, while ships that are simply marked "red" on the scanner can fly throughout the full scanner range without being auto-locked?!?

The thing with the missiles was strange - I had the impression that I lost my target lock on the ship without that being destroyed. Might have been confused in the heat of the battle...however, if it works that way, it could be fun, as that does allow to try to shoot down missiles and also enables turrets to defend my ships against incoming missiles :twisted:

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The missile lock may also be the missile analyser, that also locks automatically onto incoming missiles (at least non-basic ones). And the autolock checks if you have a target lock already, and only does anything if the target is null.

And yes, it only autolocks onto ships that have attacked you, not ships that are hostile to you (red) - as it states in the equipment description and readme ;) . It's designed that way, so as not to make things over-react or too easy. It would be fairly possible to do it that way, but it's deliberately designed not to.

Also it is possible to have "clean" ships that are red (at least initially), so there would be a distinct possibility of legal status problems if written that way.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
Also it is possible to have "clean" ships that are red (at least initially), so there would be a distinct possibility of legal status problems if written that way.
Ahh, then it might be the analyzer which changed the lock. And yes, i did get into legal trouble, as I launched my reprogrammed thargon pack upon the many red blips - I bet those don't check for clean ships which did not yet fire at me?

Screet, still trying to change the AMS so that it only fires when chaff is used up and searching for a way to make the chaff auto-deploy like AMS ;)
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Is their a way to switch autolock off so I can manually select my target?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Capt. Slog wrote:
This would be a nice addition.. sometimes in a RandomHits mission I'm trying to get a lock on my mark and the constant shooting from the henchmen makes it pretty near impossible.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Capt. Slog wrote:
This would be a nice addition.. sometimes in a RandomHits mission I'm trying to get a lock on my mark and the constant shooting from the henchmen makes it pretty near impossible.
That's my position. I usually avoid the henchpersons, they're not financially worthwhile.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Capt. Slog wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Capt. Slog wrote:
That's my position. I usually avoid the henchpersons, they're not financially worthwhile.
Not to mention that their intent is to distract you while the baddie gets away..

(re henchpersons, hadn't you noticed that terms with a male-gender bias are only unacceptable when the word has a positive meaning? Words with negative connotations, such as 'manslaughter' don't get so much as a squeak of protest from the so-called 'politically correct'. Which is why I felt safe using a negatively connoted word like henchmen even though some of them are females :lol: )
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Not as such, as it's not possible to assign keys to OXPs.

But what you could do is leave the autolock target set whilst you aim at your desired target and get them suitably positioned in your sights, then press "u" and then "t" in succession to unlock your target and then lock onto your manually desired one immediately.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That more or less describes my current technique.. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.. timing is everything.. and sometimes they are just shooting so fast that it may take a dozen attempts. :evil:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
@ the developer gods.. are there any plans to change this, maybe after the MNSR? (and yes, I realise what a mess it will be as the oxp devs all fight over the available handful of keys.)
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
@ the developer gods.. are there any plans to change this, maybe after the MNSR? (and yes, I realise what a mess it will be as the oxp devs all fight over the available handful of keys.)
What about this comment?
The startUp handler is called after all OXPs have been loaded. It can be used to do one-off initialisation such as registering to listen for certain keystrokes etc.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Capt. Slog wrote:
What about this comment?
The startUp handler is called after all OXPs have been loaded. It can be used to do one-off initialisation such as registering to listen for certain keystrokes etc.
The initial JavaScript interface supported registering for keystrokes. Almost nothing of that interface remains, except the existence of the startUp handler.

I’m not comfortable with supporting OXP keystroke registration until there’s an in-game key assignment editor, and that won’t happen before MNSR.