extra fuel tank functionality in the game core ?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cmdr James wrote:
I also do not accept that they should have been in Oolite. To my mind they don't add much, you can already fuel scoop for more fuel as needed, and I dont remember having injectors anyway (which are the main reason for wanting fuel).
First, Oolite is not Elite, it is a remake where one of the objectives is to make a modern version of Elite (graphics, use of current hardware, etc.). That is what I really love about Elite. I like to think that Oolite is close to what Elite would have been given more memory and computer power in 1984.

Now having said that, I agree that the Oolite core should be kept as simple as possible giving the basic Elite functionality AND the functionality to expand upon it using OXP's. So I think that fuel pods or tanks belong in OXP's, but I also thing that Oolite should have a more elegant way of interfacing with this type of OXP than is currently available. Hence my suggestion for Internal equipment slots: There are probably more elegant ways of doing this, but sticking all this equipment on the missile pylons is more a work around that I really don't like (not just thinking of fuel pods here).
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

If there was a way of assigning unused keys to new equipment types, that would probably go a long way towards the elegant solution you're talking about.

It's something that's been in the pipeline for some time now, but we seemed to have a few problems there, not least the possibility of one oxp overriding other oxps keymappings... Still, it's in the pipeline, and hopefully we'll have that functionality for the MNSR... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Gimi, you quoted me wrong, I said
I also do not accept that they should have been in elite.
which was response to
Solas wrote:
drop tanks should have been in Elite having been available for planes since WW2 era
. And I stand by that, I really do not see drop tanks as being something that was glaringly absent from elite. Perhaps with fuel injectors and so on they might be relevant to oolite, but elite? no, not in my opinion.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cmdr James wrote:
Gimi, you quoted me wrong, I said
I also do not accept that they should have been in elite.
which was response to
Solas wrote:
drop tanks should have been in Elite having been available for planes since WW2 era
. And I stand by that, I really do not see drop tanks as being something that was glaringly absent from elite. Perhaps with fuel injectors and so on they might be relevant to oolite, but elite? no, not in my opinion.
Sorry. Explanation needed, and I probably misunderstood you and thus misquoted you the first time I read the thread.

First, I agree with you that, what can be in an OXP should remain there.
Second, "should have been in Elite" is not an argument as it is totally subjective (We agree I belive).
Third, Oolite is not Elite, so anything that overall improves Oolite (even if it was not present in Elite), and is not doable in an OXP should be implemented in core, within reason of course. This was my point. The developers of Oolite should not be afraid to "deviate" from Elite as long as it benefits the game overall.
(I don't think there is any disagreement here at all.)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).