Building Oolite Windows from source - The Easier Way

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cows wrote:
I successfully built Oolite trunk using Diziet Sma's installer
A very minor point here.. but you didn't actually "build" anything.. you just installed a game supplied by me.. :wink: I built trunk, packaged it up into an executable installer, and uploaded to my website, from where you obtained it.

Incidentally, you should go get the latest version (2237) and upgrade.. there have been several bug-fixes since 2232.. and a "special" trunk-only feature! :wink:

Intel's Data Sheet for your gma3100 graphics card lists 4 possible chipsets (G31, G33, Q33, Q35) and there would appear to be separate driver downloads available for each (Graphics>Desktop Graphics Controllers>Chipset Of Your Choice) available from Intel's website. See if getting your drivers direct from the horses mouth (as it were) can help.. Intel's Chipset Identification Utility may be of some help with this...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Pretty sure those chipsets don't do shaders - sorry!
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Well, these chipsets technically do shaders, except they use an emulated pixel shader instead of a normal hardware pixel shader. I'll probably have to switch to nVidia or ATI, because I haven't been able to use anything with normal maps at all. :|

What's the special trunk feature? :shock:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cows wrote:
Well, these chipsets technically do shaders, except they use an emulated pixel shader instead of a normal hardware pixel shader. I'll probably have to switch to nVidia or ATI, because I haven't been able to use anything with normal maps at all. :|
That's a bummer... :cry:
Cows wrote:
What's the special trunk feature? :shock:
Have a good look around the screen.. if you still can't find it let me know...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Is it the new font, or is that just part of OSE?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cows wrote:
Is it the new font, or is that just part of OSE?
I don't have OSE atm, but I'm pretty sure the new font is from OSE. Hint: Look for something that will not be in the 1.73 Final Release.. (I did say 'trunk-only') :wink:
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Is it the set of words that says "development release 1.73.0.2242", or is it the fact that there are less nebulas, or umm..., something else? Should I quit asking? Should I look harder? Am I in the wrong system? Ahhh! I'll just stop asking :wink: .
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cows wrote:
Is it the set of words that says "development release 1.73.0.2242"
BINGO! (not much of a 'feature' I know, but I figured it would make people look a little harder than usual.. good to see I had at least one 'victim' hehehe :twisted: )
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

How many people have you tried to make victims? :lol:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

All of 'em... :twisted: :wink:
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

:shock: :o :lol:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The "Development version 1.73.0.[SVN Revision]" watermark has been inserted there for a reason. With more people being able to build and, in Dizzy's case, distribute installers of the game in a form similar to what is essentially "nightly builds", there has to be a way to tell these distributions apart. It also helps when debugging, since anyone can respond immediately to the question: "Which build of the trunk are you running that contains the bug you are reporting?".

To keep a bit things under control, it would be good if anyone distributing Windows installers of Oolite use only the pkg-win-snapshot target for creating them. Functionality-wise, the only difference between the snapshot and a normal build is the watermark text. I would like to reserve the pkg-win target for the official releases, if possible.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

zevans wrote:
Pretty sure those chipsets don't do shaders - sorry!
All Intel GMA chips do support fragment shaders (but not all support vertex shaders). I know that OpenGL driver support for Windows has been an issue, but I haven’t kept up on the details.

I have successfully used Oolite’s default shaders, in low-complexity mode, on a GMA 950 under OS X. It’s a good baseline testing system because it only supports very simple shaders (after which a software fallback is used). On the other hand, it’s faster than my other low-end testing chip, a GeForce 5200 FX.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Rightyho - I should have said I was on Linux, have posted there to continue this discussion. I would think MacOS drivers strongly related to Linux but neither are related to this Windows subforum. :-)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

zevans wrote:
I would think MacOS drivers strongly related to Linux
No similarity whatsoever, actually. :-)