Building Oolite Windows from source - The Easier Way

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cows wrote:
What does this mean:

Code: Select all

0 [main] sh 6488 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to sh.exe.stackdump
make[1]: *** [obj/ShipEntity.o] Error 139
make: *** [oolite.all.objc-program.variables] Error 2
This happened when I executed make debug=no
Seems it failed in compiling shipEntity.m and/or shipEntity.h for some reason & found this bit of information

141. Make Says, Error 139.

A: Your compiler (GCC) dumped core. You probably have a corrupted, buggy, or old version of GCC - get the latest release or EGCS. Alternatively, you may be running out of swap space. Refer to Why Does the Machine Run Very Slowly with GCC / X / ...?.

If this doesn't fix the problem, you are probably having problems with memory or disk corruption. Check that the clock rate, wait states, and refresh timing for your SIMMS and cache are correct (hardware manuals are sometimes wrong, too). If so, you may have some marginal SIMMS, or a faulty motherboard or hard disk or controller.

Linux is a very good memory tester - much better than MS-DOS based memory test programs.

Reportedly, some clone x87 math coprocessors can cause problems. Try compiling a kernel with math emulation (see How To Upgrade/Recompile a Kernel ). The no387 kernel command line flag on the LILO prompt to force the kernel to use math emulation, or it may be able to work and still use the '387, with the math emulation compiled in but mainly unused.

More information about this problem is available on the Web at http:// www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/.
While you have the correct version of GCC, since you downloaded it with the environment, its likely that you run out of memory... since the error would be general, not OS specific...

the last bit about a clone x87 processor I think we can forget..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

How much memory is necessary to build Oolite?
I currently have about 3 GB RAM.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

You certainly don't need 3GB to build the game. Something else is going on and it may have to do with your version of Vista. I recall reading about MinGW having some issues with Vista and and a special version of GCC 3.4.5 was released to address the problem. I will try to locate this information sometime tomorrow and post it here if I manage to find it.

Quick question: Is your drive D: by any chance a removable media drive?
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

another_commander wrote:
No, it is actually a recovery hard disk drive.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cows wrote:
another_commander wrote:
No, it is actually a recovery hard disk drive.
Did/where you able to put The development environment on the D drive ?, I know AC is going to ask this. As the Building Environment requires it to reside on the D drive...

And in that case, how much free space is on the D drive.

Usually Recovery Drives are not supposed to be tampered with though...

so I'm curious
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Oops! I actually changed the recovery drive to Z: and made a virtual drive using subst! :oops:
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Cows wrote:
Oops! I actually changed the recovery drive to Z: and made a virtual drive using subst! :oops:
not quite a talker are you... :wink:, intelligence Agencies might want You... :mrgreen:

And did this solve the problem ?, did you successfully do a build while having the environment on the D drive.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

No, that's where I got those errors. In fact I got the same errors when I tried the wiki instructions, except there was a lot more to the error.
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

I successfully built Oolite trunk using Diziet Sma's installer, but the normal maps on the Griff thargoid, Sidewinder, etc., are not on. No engine effects either.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Are the Shader Effects in Game Options set to Full?
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

I changed the GNUstepdefaults shader setting to <I3/>, so I am pretty sure it is on full shaders, but, the menu on F2 says shader effects are not available. I am using an intel gma 3100 graphics card.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Can you post the Latest.log please?
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Here you go:

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.73 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2009-07-11 14:51:44 -0600.
4 processors detected.
Oolite Options: [Procedural Planets] [Docking Clearance] [Wormhole Scanner] [Target Incoming Missiles]

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1680 x 1050
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.4.0 ("1.4.0 - Build 7.15.10.1666")
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel Bear Lake B
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (50):
GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_cull_vertex GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_NV_blend_square GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_WIN_swap_hint 
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: ---> OXP search paths:
(Resources, ../AddOns, ../AddOns/fresnel_thargoid.oxp, ../AddOns/griff_adder_normalmapped.oxp, ../AddOns/griff_cobra3_no_normalmap.oxp, ../AddOns/griff_krait.oxp, ../AddOns/griff_sidewinder_normalmapped.oxp)
[dataCache.upToDate]: Data cache is up to date.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 7 world scripts: "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.73, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.73, "oolite-nova" 1.73, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.73, "oolite-trumbles" 1.73, "Spawn-griff_cobby3" 1.0.1, "Spawn-griffthargoid" 1.0.1
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2009-07-11 14:52:41 -0600.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

As you see, in the log it clearly states that shaders will not be used because you are missing a required OpenGL extension.

You said that you have the Intel 3100, but the information from your log indicates that you have a different renderer. Are you absolutely sure that the drivers you are running are the correct ones? If yes, my only recommendation is to install the drivers' latest version. If latest drivers don't do anything, then I'm afraid you will have to live without shaders or get a new, more modern graphics card.
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

I have the correct version of driver. NO!! :evil:
I guess I can live without shaders (I hope)

P.S. Bearlake is the codename for the Intel 3x chipsets