Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

A better, more modern, user interface...

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Similar to what I was going to suggest, perhaps package it up like the HUD currently is, or even perhaps include it as part of the HUD set-up and re-brand it as "display options" or somesuch?

Whilst it would be nice to enable OXPs like Planetfall to put relevant backdrops up, as has been said it would be too open to clashes and code-arguments I guess. But to be properly done I think we also need some controls over the text colouration and things like that, as if the text is fixed in its current yellow then it won't show up against many potential lighter backgrounds (as it's designed for the current default black background of course). It's already an issue seen on some mission screens...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The background files are set up currently from descriptions.plist. I don't think it's practical to make them ship dependant, as this will generate all sorts of clashes when ships start defining their own background each. The same would go for the hud.plist.

Right now, I have a working prototype where each gui screen can have its own background. For the old-schoolers like me who prefer the classic look, the backgrounds are entirely optional. The only problem that we have at the moment is the F7 screen. The planet in that screen is displayed behind the background and I am still trying to find out how to get it to come forward. I do hope that a solution to this is found soon, because that is a showstopper right there.

As for the problem with the readability of the text in lightly colored images that Thargoid mentions, I suggest that such images get edited to have their gamma dropped. I actually had to do this with DeepSpace's image because the text was quite difficult to read in the original version of the picture.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

Well if we know the limitations of what we can do. I think just darkening the backdrop a little to let the text become readably is a fair trade off. :) But thats just a artistic point, getting it working first would be the biggest hurdle :)
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Lestradae »

@DaddyHoggy:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
(go on admit it - you're trying to take over Oolite from the inside... :wink: )
Oh no, let's not start that one again, shall we :twisted:
:? No, no, you misunderstand - I was referring to Deepspace
Huh, double misunderstanding then :wink:

I knew what you ment! I made a joke! :lol:

I must use more smilies 8)

Cheers

L
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

another_commander wrote:
The only problem that we have at the moment is the F7 screen. The planet in that screen is displayed behind the background and I am still trying to find out how to get it to come forward. I do hope that a solution to this is found soon, because that is a showstopper right there.
That is the same problem as with the missionscreen. When you display a rotating ship, it disappears behind the picture of the missionscreen. So, also there you cant use both in the same screen. Military fiasco and UPS do use both simultaneously, but those "pictures" only uses the alpha channel. The normal channel is transparent. That way you don't have colour, but for just showing a logo it is sufficient.

When you find a solution for displaying the pictures on the F7 screen in reverse order, you could look if that solution is also usable for the missionscreen. :?
... On the other hand, two coloured pictures on top of each other is also not what you want on the missionscreen. Just a uni-colour logo over the rotating ship is enough there.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I would suggest to exclude the new backgrounds from mission screens completely. We can already set backdrops there via scripting, so we have another clash again between those and the new ones.

But if this solution can work for the ship display and background display there too, then so much the better :)
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu May 14, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: ...

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Lestradae wrote:
@DaddyHoggy:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Oh no, let's not start that one again, shall we :twisted:
:? No, no, you misunderstand - I was referring to Deepspace
Huh, double misunderstanding then :wink:

I knew what you ment! I made a joke! :lol:

I must use more smilies 8)

Cheers

L
:oops: Yes, my bad... :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here