Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

A better, more modern, user interface...

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

ramon wrote:
I think you can have background screens now, can't you? I know background screens can be triggered by missions, so you should be able to create an oxp that displays a background without a mission....I think, no one quote me.
In a pre-version of the Vector I've already done it (displaying a screen and going directly back to the STATUS_SCREEN), but it is not working anymore since v1.72 (but with legacy scripting it still should be possible). That's why the pics in Vector.oxp have this format to fit in the STATUS_SCREEN.

But if we get a equivalent method in JS we have to think about possible clashes (which oxp should display it, is a override possible, etc.). So we may need some kind of general mechanism for clashes - before they happen :-)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It is possible to trigger this bug still in 1.72 (not sure about 1.72.2, not tried it lately) - mission screen with a background, and then do a scripted launch (player.ship.launch()) and it usually maintains the background.

Unfortunately it is persistent, appearing behind every non-flight view screen even after launch. And you can't undo it except by opening another mission screen without one and removing the background that way. So you'd have to basically launch via a mission screen, and somehow catch the F1 launch request.
Phoenix4
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phoenix4 »

I really like the alternative screens! :D

If they could be made available, possibly as an OXP, I would use them.

Looks cool!

:mrgreen:

Px4
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Thargoid wrote:
It is possible to trigger this bug still in 1.72 (not sure about 1.72.2, not tried it lately) - mission screen with a background, and then do a scripted launch (player.ship.launch()) and it usually maintains the background.

Unfortunately it is persistent, appearing behind every non-flight view screen even after launch. And you can't undo it except by opening another mission screen without one and removing the background that way. So you'd have to basically launch via a mission screen, and somehow catch the F1 launch request.
The bug is confirmed in 1.72.2. However, and thanks to Thargoid for reporting it and to Phoenix4 for bringing the thread back up, this is now yet another bug that's fixed for v1.73. Mission backgrounds are now cleared properly when a player launch takes place before the misssion screen has ended the normal way.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
The bug is confirmed in 1.72.2. However, and thanks to Thargoid for reporting it and to Phoenix4 for bringing the thread back up, this is now yet another bug that's fixed for v1.73. Mission backgrounds are now cleared properly when a player launch takes place before the misssion screen has ended the normal way.
GREAT!!! Many thanks!!!

How about the bug that after docking a mission screen should show up, but instead the player does still see the space around the station while docked and the mission flags not being cleared? ;)

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Screet, if you can send me a saved game that I can use to reproduce this, I could probably try to have a look at it whenever I get some free time.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
Screet, if you can send me a saved game that I can use to reproduce this, I could probably try to have a look at it whenever I get some free time.
Hmm. Don't have one yet and never tried if it's that reproducible, however, given the way the random numbers work (often the same groups of ships upon load and launch) it could be a way to track this down.

IIRC it never happened before installing YAH - but since I'm always updating and so on, I can't say for sure that this oxp has something to do with it.

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

This is not fully tested yet, so it may or may not make it to 1.73, but for those of you who want pretty backgrounds when docked, here goes an actual ingame screenshot taken a few minutes ago (credit to DeepSpace for the background I used as test):
Only works with the status (F5) screen so far and plenty of gameplay test is still required. But I'm stealing time from work right now, so this will have to wait a bit ;-)
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

that looks really, really nice.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

One pic, greatly enhanced atmospherics! Well done, A_C. Really hope this makes it into the game soon 8)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: ...

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Lestradae wrote:
One pic, greatly enhanced atmospherics! Well done, A_C. Really hope this makes it into the game soon 8)
And well done Deepspace for producing the imagery in the first place - I thought this was a fabulous image when I first saw it in your own game - glad it made it over to Oolite (go on admit it - you're trying to take over Oolite from the inside... :wink: )
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
(go on admit it - you're trying to take over Oolite from the inside... :wink: )
Oh no, let's not start that one again, shall we :twisted:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Great picture, it really enhances Oolite. :D
Svengali wrote:
But if we get a equivalent method in JS we have to think about possible clashes (which oxp should display it, is a override possible, etc.). So we may need some kind of general mechanism for clashes - before they happen :-)
As you say, it would lead to clashes when every oxp could set its own background. But when it is working well, you could display a default background and add a key to the stations definition in shipdata to have a custom background. That way you never have conflicts which oxp is allowed to display its background. Without definition you have the default background while an oxp can still have custom backgrounds for his own stations.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Lestradae wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
(go on admit it - you're trying to take over Oolite from the inside... :wink: )
Oh no, let's not start that one again, shall we :twisted:
:? No, no, you misunderstand - I was referring to Deepspace - his fabulous textures and imagery from his own Elite-inspired variant slowly making their way into Oolite...

Shows what a wonderful and accomodating vessel for the imagination Oolite is.

No sinister meanings or insinuations here - this is the friendliest board this side of Reidquat after all :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

AWESOME! :shock:
I bet thats the low res version I posted on the forums a while back. I do have a 1024x768 version somewhere. If not higher. :)

The ability to have at least 2 backgrounds as modable entities would be great. One for when you're docked and on for when you're in flight. Maybe a cabin view or something. What ever people wanted.

Actually linking them to the shipplist would be a good idea. You could link the image to the stations and if you wanted to each of the ships if you wanted specific interiors to ships, like you can already have specific HUDs per ship too. :)

Anyway all good work there, well done. Love it. :D
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"