Too stupid to play with UPS-Courier

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

shadowfirebird
Average
Average

Too stupid to play with UPS-Courier

Post by shadowfirebird »

...To be delivered to a nearby democratic station...
Um, I guess it's just me. What the hell does that mean? Another space station in the system I'm currently in? Or am I supposed to just pick a democratic system at random and go there? (There are none within a single jump, BTW.)

I was sort of expecting to be told where to deliver these documents. I'm not sure I have been... but I guess it's just me, sorry.
[/quote]
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Any Democracy nearby will do. The nearest maybe a couple of jumps away though, so not on the short range chart. Pull up the Long Range and find the nearest. It'll be pretty close but maybe a tad further than 7lys.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Any system with government == Democracy.
shadowfirebird
Average
Average

Post by shadowfirebird »

Ta folks.

Too much in character I guess! "Gonna need a postcode for that, guv".
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

shadowfirebird wrote:
Ta folks.

Too much in character I guess! "Gonna need a postcode for that, guv".
I had the same confusion. Then I decided that this is good: Get an UPS contract while en route to the system where some other mission (RH, navy) is taking place...and just pick the next best matching government type to deliver that. Only once I had to turn around because there just was no democracry into that direction ;)

Screet
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Too stupid to play with UPS-Courier

Post by Eric Walch »

shadowfirebird wrote:
I was sort of expecting to be told where to deliver these documents. I'm not sure I have been... but I guess it's just me, sorry.
That were the limitations of the old scripting system. You could could change the governmental type of a system in an other galaxy but never could read in parameters of a system you were not in. You could select a random system number but never were able to display anything about it other than its number.
The only alternative was to hardcode all locations into the script. but I never wanted to do that. It can be done but the legacy script is not very suitable for this.
But you are right, those early missions are dumb, and don't give much money. But he, that is the live of a real courier. And on the positive side: It won't cost much investment to deliver the stuff as you'll meet this type of systems in every (most?) directions you go.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Too stupid to play with UPS-Courier

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
But you are right, those early missions are dumb, and don't give much money. But he, that is the live of a real courier. And on the positive side: It won't cost much investment to deliver the stuff as you'll meet this type of systems in every (most?) directions you go.
Funny. Just got TWO missions from UPS at once! Cargo containers and parcels.

Good thing is, that UPS seemingly can handle this - I've got 2 UPS mission entries ;)

Screet, who already began to wonder if UPS stopped to like him...and then this :D