Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite 3D. Is it possible?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JameSpal
Competent
Competent

Oolite 3D. Is it possible?

Post by JameSpal »

So I was just playing around with wireframe mode. I kind of like it, especially for combat.

But I started thinking, would it be possible to make a view like wireframe, no textures or anything, but that you would wear red and blue 3d glasses and have the wireframes show up in 3d.

It seems like making two viewpoints, one offset left and one offset right from the default camera angle, in wireframe, monochromatic, with red lines on one side and blue lines on the other would work.

Is it possible? I know it would probably have to be part of the basic code, not through an OXP.

If you could switch it off and on easily, it could be like a special hud mode for combat.

Combat in 3D would be SO much fun.

Just throwing it out there...
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

hmmm, that's a great idea, Imagen a missile heading straight for you, scary.

but i think it would be realy hard to do, even making a 3D film is difficult.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

This is called anaglyph rendering, and it’s quite possible to do with solid, textured models.

However, the effective range of binocular vision is only a few metres, and Oolite scenes generally consist of objects hundreds to thousands of kilometers away. If the eye distance was set high enough for those to be usefully distinguishable, the few objects that are close to the cameras would be horribly distorted and hard to see properly (it would be like trying to look at your own nose).

On top of that, Oolite’s rendering pipeline isn’t set up for this kind of thing.