Fuel Station OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

gorans wrote:
I used external views to check my position prior to kabooom. :)
It seems that my bwing is INSIDE the station and, if I go reeeeeaaaalyyyy slooooooooow, i get the message "refueling..." and instant collision, almost if ship collided with that yellowish sphere inside.
I've just tried the B-wing from Realistic Shipyards, and that refuelled without a problem. But that doesn't seem to have external views, so I'm guessing perhaps that you're using it from the original OXP?

Can you confirm which OXP you're sourcing the ship from and I'll see if I can duplicate it with that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still trying to get a Cacudeus to appear as a player ship, even after hacking the chance and tech level in the shipyard.plist. One for tomorrow methinks, too late now (it is in the game OK, as I can spawn it).

And I was right, it's a big-ass'd ship (the purple box is it's bounding box)...

ImageTail view

ImageAngled view
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

And this is what I get for designing a ship that DOESN'T looks like a flying pan-cake or a brick. Oh gods of oolite why do thou forsake meeeee!

I still say append the comms message. If your flying a ship with more turrets than the Bismarck. Expect limitations. Nice shots by the way. :)
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Thargoid wrote:
gorans wrote:
I used external views to check my position prior to kabooom. :)
It seems that my bwing is INSIDE the station and, if I go reeeeeaaaalyyyy slooooooooow, i get the message "refueling..." and instant collision, almost if ship collided with that yellowish sphere inside.
I've just tried the B-wing from Realistic Shipyards, and that refuelled without a problem. But that doesn't seem to have external views, so I'm guessing perhaps that you're using it from the original OXP?

Can you confirm which OXP you're sourcing the ship from and I'll see if I can duplicate it with that.
I just replaced installed b-wing.oxp with downloaded one (StarWars.zip from alioth) and refueled without a problem. :?
I remember that I tried to put a turret on that ship when turrets didn't work on playerships and i copy/pasted external views from some other ship. I probably screwed something up in a process.

Thanks for assistance. Refueling on WPs is great time saver when on a mission. :)
Last edited by goran on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Thargoid wrote:
The back-story for the stations is being written (not by me) which will explain how and why they work. I've seen a draft and it looks great, but doesn't rely on tankers and station refuelling.
Okay fair enough, now I'm intrigued. :D
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

gorans wrote:
I remember that I tried to put a turret on that ship
Thank you for providing the solution.

The Fuel Station is incompatible to ships with turrets.

If I remove the turrets from the Caduceus, I can fly in and refuel it without any problems!

I have been astonished though...the Fuel Station provides some good way to measure ship size with the eye...and apparently, the Caduceus is much bigger than a (neo)BCC, very similar in size to the Dredger Trader which does fit in.

So....why do turrets cause an instant death to the ship?

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I can also confirm that the Caddy dies when it goes into a fuel station, despite its bounding box actually fitting in the station:

Bounding boxes visible -

The purple is the box of the station, the blue the ship's. The smaller of the purple boxes is for the rear face of the station, the larger the front...

Oh, and as it's a nice snapshot, I've put a few more in the screenshots thread in t'other forum ;)

Looks like the next step is a final confirmation with another turret'd player-ship (a Dragon perhaps?)
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Screet wrote:
gorans wrote:
I remember that I tried to put a turret on that ship
Thank you for providing the solution.

The Fuel Station is incompatible to ships with turrets.
<snip>
Heh... just did some testing in that direction. Original oxp - no collision. One turret added at 0 0 0 and instant death.

Came here to brag and you spoiled it. :)

I think that thargoid has something against working player turrets... ;)
Last edited by goran on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

*** Quickly tucks away the anti-turret plan for the next invasion fleet***

Nothing to see here folks ;)

But seriously, from what McLane also noted about Cataclysm, it sounds to me like there's maybe a trunk glitch with collision detection and turrets?

I've submitted it on Berlios as a bug.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Thargoid wrote:
I can also confirm that the Caddy dies when it goes into a fuel station, despite its bounding box actually fitting in the station:
That doesn’t actually tell you much, since the hole in the station is smaller than the bounding box of the outside of the station. You can get better information by enabling octree debug rendering. You can toggle octrees with the JS console command:

Code: Select all

console.debugFlags ^= 0x80
That said, a turret/subentity collision detection bug is entirely possible.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Ahruman wrote:
...and would explain many instant "press space" situations in which I did not get the slightest warning before. Just bang and that's it, as with the fuel station while flying a turreted ship. A common collision with that fuel station causes very brief damage, just as someone trying to dock and hitting the sides of the dock.

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ahruman wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
That doesn’t actually tell you much, since the hole in the station is smaller than the bounding box of the outside of the station. You can get better information by enabling octree debug rendering. You can toggle octrees with the JS console command:

console.debugFlags ^= 0x80
Sorry, I meant that the boundary box of the caddy seems (at least visibly) to fit inside the hole in the station.

The turret would also probably be the only explanation for the B-wing (the modified one mentioned a page or so back in this thread), as that ship is much smaller than the station hole. And in both ships cases if you pull the turrets off, they don't have the collision problem.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, a problem with turrets was also what I guessed in Cataclysm. The hole into which you have to fly in that OXP is definitely a lot bigger than any ship I would accept as a player ship. Still the Caduceus exploded every time.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Commander McLane wrote:
Yes, a problem with turrets was also what I guessed in Cataclysm. The hole into which you have to fly in that OXP is definitely a lot bigger than any ship I would accept as a player ship. Still the Caduceus exploded every time.
That's bad news for me. I'm just through with assassins and was looking forward to cataclysm...does it take some time until one encounteres that problem? Of course I can strip the Caduceus from it's turrets for a single event, but I won't run an entire oxp with a crippled ship, as the Caduceus is hit much easier than many other ships...and really, I don't like to switch.

Hmmm. I've got almost everything set up here for running my own development version of oolite on this machine, but I've got burnout, which slows me down. I wonder if it's better to wait for someone to fix that problem or use this as a "now you have to do it" thing...I did want to look at joystick code but ended up continuing to play until now.

Screet
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Just compiled the latest trunk (2065) and I have some good news and some bad news. Good first? OK. B-wing with caduceus turret no longer collides entering fuel station.

Bad one? Turrets no longer works.

And this is a first compiled oolite in a long time that didn't crash on me on load player or launch from station.

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000434f4d6d
Crashed Thread:  0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   libobjc.A.dylib               	0xfffeff18 objc_msgSend_rtp + 24
27  ...rcmoini.smartscrollx_sxobjc	0x007e7d7c SmartScroll_objc + 16120
28  com.apple.AppKit              	0x91f07d98 -[NSApplication run] + 736
29  com.apple.AppKit              	0x91ed879c NSApplicationMain + 440
30  org.aegidian.oolite           	0x00003904 main + 60 (main.m:13)
31  org.aegidian.oolite           	0x000022d0 _start + 336 (crt.c:272)
32  org.aegidian.oolite           	0x00002178 start + 56

CRASH to desktop...
or

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000008741000
Crashed Thread:  Unknown

Error Formulating Crash Report:
*** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: VMUSignaturePath)
0x91bfddc0
0x91d1e4ec
0x91bfdcd0
0x91bfdd08
0x94b31554
0x00071c00
0x000804d8
0x00080614
0x00003004
0x00009ad4
0x0000b84c
0x0000b63c
0x95fdccc8
0x0000ad58
0x95faf028

Backtrace not available
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I just tested with the Griff Boa and I can tell you that the turrets work with SVN 2065. Remember: Turrets need a) a target set, b) the target to be hostile, c) the target to be in range.