Fuel Station OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Splendid. Bravo.

Resize that logo to 256x128 and we've got another ad for YAH!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

I tried to refuel my b-wing. First time flew in docking speed - kaboom. Second time, dead slow. Bounce right back with non existent front shield. b-wing is a small ship.

oh well...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And it's already had my pre-approval (and also the YAH suggestion ;) ).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

gorans wrote:
I tried to refuel my b-wing. First time flew in docking speed - kaboom. Second time, dead slow. Bounce right back with non existent front shield. b-wing is a small ship.

oh well...
OK, so it's a B-wing and a Caduceus to try over the weekend. Time to go ship-shopping.

The B-wing is an odd one, as you say that's not a big ship. I presume you are trying to approach from the ends (with the green lights) rather than the side? Just to rule out any strange scenarios with side-docking...
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Do you want me to e mail you a save game, or do you have some cunning way of getting a caduceus?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I should be able to cunning one up.

If all else fails I'll let you know if I need a save-game. But thanks for the offer.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Perhaps it's unnescessarily cruel to not let big ships dock. What about making it bigger so that at least Anacondas can?

Juggernauts and Dredgers must transport their own fuel anyways :twisted:

Just my 0.02 Cr

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: ...

Post by Thargoid »

Lestradae wrote:
Perhaps it's unnescessarily cruel...
Can a Thargoid be unneccesarily cruel? :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Thargoid wrote:
gorans wrote:

oh well...
OK, so it's a B-wing and a Caduceus to try over the weekend. Time to go ship-shopping.

The B-wing is an odd one, as you say that's not a big ship. I presume you are trying to approach from the ends (with the green lights) rather than the side? Just to rule out any strange scenarios with side-docking...
Yep. Dockin' slits on the sides were tempting, but I couldn't pick one of them to dock, so I went for a green lights. ;)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The Caduceus also explodes when flying into a rather huge structure in Cataclysm. Don't know what's wrong with it... :?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
The Caduceus also explodes when flying into a rather huge structure in Cataclysm. Don't know what's wrong with it... :?
This strongly looks like the collision problems I had with the buoy repair station. Sometimes flying through the arch works great and sometimes you just crash.
At the end of the development of the oxp I wrote a script to let a npc cobra ship fly around the station and also through the arch. After some crashed I found a route that allowed the cobra to make a complete tour without a rash. Than Svengali created the intended control ship for this purpose. Same size as the cobra but that constantly kept crashing. Than I simplified the route by flying over the arch but there was always a point within the collision radius that let it crash, even when it was far away from the visible structures.
This let to many frustrations with me and hours spitting through the collision code in the hope to find a cause.
I ended up by letting the control ship flying just a wide loop around the station in the release version. Only the big external dockers had to be within the collision radius. And those do crash in over 10% of the dockings.

It could be that this is a similar problem and there is still a flaw in the collision detection that becomes visible with this difficult structures.
Yep. Dockin' slits on the sides were tempting, but I couldn't pick one of them to dock, so I went for a green lights.
On my first visit I used that slid. Only later I noticed there were muck bigger openings to the side. :roll:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I know exactly what's wrong with it (it is the job of a creator (and a father) to keep careful tabs on ones creations). Its the angles. When calculating the c-box oolite appears to work in squares and that's about it. I checked the nature of sub-entities but they only appear to push out the edges of the box NOT alter it's shape (as you'd might expect) The caduceus creates a bloody big c-box. The width of its lower wings, the hight of its fin and the length of its arrow cockpit. This leaves a lot of space that "technically" is empty but in reality forces a C action. Despite a sleak look it has (like all ships in oolite) a c-box not unlike that of a brick.This is more noticable on the Caduceus because a lot of the c-box 30-40% is empty space.

This statement is deduction based feel free to contradict if you have the evidence to bring to the table.

It's one of those beauty vs programming things that I'm afraid may leave beauty poorer off. Still not being able to take certain ships on certain missions does add an unexpected and sarcificial spin onto the missions doesn't it? I'm not unhappy about that idea, the Caduceus was always intended to be more the tiger than the mouse but sometimes only a mouse will do.

BUT if players want it (I act on 5) then I can scale the model by say 25%?

Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
This strongly looks like the collision problems I had with the buoy repair station. Sometimes flying through the arch works great and sometimes you just crash.
At the end of the development of the oxp I wrote a script to let a npc cobra ship fly around the station and also through the arch. After some crashed I found a route that allowed the cobra to make a complete tour without a rash. Than Svengali created the intended control ship for this purpose. Same size as the cobra but that constantly kept crashing. Than I simplified the route by flying over the arch but there was always a point within the collision radius that let it crash, even when it was far away from the visible structures.
This let to many frustrations with me and hours spitting through the collision code in the hope to find a cause.
I ended up by letting the control ship flying just a wide loop around the station in the release version. Only the big external dockers had to be within the collision radius. And those do crash in over 10% of the dockings.

It could be that this is a similar problem and there is still a flaw in the collision detection that becomes visible with this difficult structures.
Yep. Dockin' slits on the sides were tempting, but I couldn't pick one of them to dock, so I went for a green lights.
On my first visit I used that slid. Only later I noticed there were muck bigger openings to the side. :roll:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Screenshot

Post by Lestradae »

Here's me, refuelling my Tiger Mk I in one of Thargoid's fuel stations, looking at the 14MB - textured planet in front of me :D

Oolite has never looked better ...
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Well looking on the bright side at least my hud still works. :D
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

I used external views to check my position prior to kabooom. :)
It seems that my bwing is INSIDE the station and, if I go reeeeeaaaalyyyy slooooooooow, i get the message "refueling..." and instant collision, almost if ship collided with that yellowish sphere inside.