Creator Of Worlds!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Pangloss wrote:
Just downloaded 1.95 of Famous Planets... WOW! As a fan of ambient techno, I love the soundtrack. Have you considered doing a version of Blue Danube in the same vein? :lol:
Maybe in the future. But what do you think of the planets?
I plan on doing the release of Famous Planets V2.00 . this weekend

Prepare people it's a monster download of 340 mb!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

pagroove wrote:
Prepare people it's a monster download of 340 mb!
340Mb! :shock: somebody's been very busy :D
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

340MBs. Hehe. Pagroove, now you've definitely beaten Realistic Shipyards and even its OSE successor WiP to the title of biggest oxp!
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Pangloss »

Lestradae wrote:
340MBs. Hehe. Pagroove, now you've definitely beaten Realistic Shipyards and even its OSE successor WiP to the title of biggest oxp!
w00t!! And I helped clog up the intertubes. 8)

Just got into Esveor, Xaxedi Cluster region. Looking at the pink oceans and incredible topographical details, and thinking about stocking up on the old Peptoo Bismol.

It looks incredible.
Last edited by Pangloss on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Oolite is looking cooler every day now ... soon, I'm going to need a RAM upgrade for this myself, as I just can't see myself missing out on any of those new graphics coming along :?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wow thats a really great screen shot. All new things in one shot,

Trading outpost, Griff Boa, and Famous Planets :) This weekend I have to correct the manual and then it's launch time. Hopefully I get it up this weekend so that everyone can enjoy the big download :) 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Creator Of Worlds!

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander_X wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:17 pm

A quick overview of the blocker would be:
1. in order to avoid stretching over any axes of the generated texture, I'm using a 3d noise algorithm
2. all is well and dandy colour/specular/roughness wise
3. the blocker is that all the (glsl) examples I could find on doing normal map out of texture presume the texture can be sampled, and/or is 2d generated; these don't work here, and all my hacking/adapting attempts miserably failed
As a dumb pilot, I don't understand this!

Again, I'm intrigued by the idea of faffing about with planets.

City night-lights
What if I just wanted to add night lights to say FPO Lave & FPO Zaonce? Or some of the Povray planets? Or some of your BPlanets?

Would I be able to use Blender/Planet Generator 2.0 (free version) to do so?

And would it be relatively easy - or a pain in the unmentionables?

Landing sites for Planetfall OXP
And what about adding landing sites on specific planets? I realise that the Planetfall coding is based on generic landing anywhere on the planet, but would this too be possible with Blender/Planet Generator 2.0 (free version)? And again, would working out how to do it be a pain in the unmentionables?

3D effects (hills/mountains/Xexedi Skyneedle)
I came across this:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:22 pm
@PAGroove - He's getting the mountains by using the "Map Color" export option in Lunarcell. Unfortunately, it has a side effect... since it's artificially baking in a bumpmap (using a specific light angle and axis) it doesn't look proper when the star is at say... 90º off-axis from what the map colors display. Still... Until we get bump mapping for planets, it might be a good "substitute".
Have matters improved any since 2009?

Xexedi Skyneedle
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Creator Of Worlds!

Post by Commander_X »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:37 pm
[...]
City night-lights
What if I just wanted to add night lights to say FPO Lave & FPO Zaonce? Or some of the Povray planets? Or some of your BPlanets?

Would I be able to use Blender/Planet Generator 2.0 (free version) to do so?

And would it be relatively easy - or a pain in the unmentionables?
[...]
To this, I think I can answer quickly: it should be relatively easy.

To expand a bit, you would need only an image processing program (Photoshop, GIMP should do), and some knowledge on playing with the channels of an image.
The principle for city night-lights is simple: it is a mask that is written in the alpha channel of the "main" texture for the planet (think of it as of "another" image embedded in the original one). The alpha value of 0.0 (i.e. transparent) tells Oolite to shine a light through that hole, when the hole is on the dark side of the planet.

When creating the mask you would want to have in the background the main texture, to make sure the light splashes are not positioned over the seas, or too close to the poles. Also, concentrating them along the shores would naturally follow the tendency to show where the parties are :)

If there is not a clear demarcation water/ground in the main texture, you could go wild.