The HUD-shop

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: *

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
And don't try and refuel one in a refueling ring. :D
I was working on a ship to slot in between the anaconda and the boa not quite this huge thing but, hey...... does this thing come with a compliment of fighters?
Tried the Fuel Station for fun ... ka-boom :(
The fuel station cannot work with the juggernaut right now, as you've got turrets on it. Currently, the fuel station explodes anything on the instant that has a turret!

About the fighters...since playing elite on the C64 and seeing BSG back then...I did dream of a game into that direction. For BSG in general it's the "on the run" atmosphere, but about the Elite connection it's the point of commanding a big ship that can launch fighters, probably enabling to switch between main ship and fighters, just the way it was possible in carrier command and hostile waters (which pretty much is a commercial remake of the old idea done by a different company - and AFAIK noone did object).

However, I'm sure that would blow up the game with it's complexity. It would be even more fun for a multi user game, when friends could fly such a beast and launch with fighters from it to defend their base...but then, one has to dream.

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Screet,
The fuel station cannot work with the juggernaut right now, as you've got turrets on it. Currently, the fuel station explodes anything on the instant that has a turret!
I know. The Juggernaut didn't even fit into the opening. It was just a nihilistic fun attempt :)
about the Elite connection it's the point of commanding a big ship that can launch fighters, probably enabling to switch between main ship and fighters
I was thinking along those lines, too, and would find that cool. I even devised a cunning plan (HintBlackadderHint) that would enable players to buy a ship pack :shock: and then be able to switch between the ships in the pack at a new-to-create special station.

The problem with that is that my To-Do list for OSE is already so gigantic that (except some people show up who want to help me finish this monster :wink: ) it is going to come out autumn 2009 already anyways.

So I forbade myself explicitly to set any further (not fast-to-do, anyways :twisted: ) wild features that might jump into my mind.

Cheers

L
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

just to let you know, the deep space hud doesnt work on 1.65, but then again tha might be me/ my PC. it cuts off the top of it, just below the symbol to tell you weather you are mass locked or not, it also misses of a bit of the bottom.
its a shame, because it looks great.
DeepSpace
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DeepSpace »

I think this happens with other oxp's too. I suspect there's a some sort of cut off for displaying graphics on the older versions. I've also noticed that if you play in Widescreen in particular that the overall display is chopped off at the top and bottom, which is weird. Run in 4:3 mode and you can see everything.

One question, why are you running on an older build of the game and not the latest code?
http://www.jblythe.f9.co.uk/oolite

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back it time of Breakfast!"
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The HUD not displaying correctly in 1.65 is due to a bug of that version. Manual tweaking of the hud.plist will be required to "fix" it.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: DeepSpace Fan

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
One day to be seen in Oolite Shipyards Extension, but the most relevant view: The DeepSpace Hud in action!
When it first came up, I thought it's looking too massive for aiming. Then I found out how much it helps with that ;)

However, a few suggestions for changes:
1) For the sights, I find the translucent area outside the center's translucent area nicer...wish I had that transparency in the middle and the outside fully transparent.
2) The scanner appears small to me...I was flying the merlin, which has a very small scanner, but when I switched back to the standard oolite HUD, I was happy to have a larger scanner again. I believe this could be done by moving the larger instrument boxes at the side (fuel and compass) to where the two tiny instrument boxes are and then move these a little inwards. That allows to move left and right instrument panels further to the side, thus to enlargen the scanner area.

DeepSpace, what do you think about this?

Screet
confused.brit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by confused.brit »

hey, me again.

How do you get the HUDS to show up? Every one I try just doesnt show, even if I hit SHIFT on startup.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

confused.brit wrote:
hey, me again.

How do you get the HUDS to show up? Every one I try just doesnt show, even if I hit SHIFT on startup.
There are probably better ways, but one is to edit the file of the ship you currently fly.

In shipdata.plist (either from the oxp you use to get that ship or from oolite resources/config), search the entry for the player version of your ship. There's always a "normal" entry and one for the player version.

In the player version, add a key like this:
<key>hud</key>
<string>merlinhud.plist</string>

where "merlinhud.plist" should be exchanged for the HUD you want.

IIRC there's two format types for plist files - if that is the case, just have a look how the key entries are made, probably something like
hud = merlinhud.plist;
but I'm not sure of that. I only changed those entries when I felt it was necessary ;)

Screet
confused.brit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by confused.brit »

Thanks.

Its a shame the HUD OXPs dont do this automatically, or get to set up a temporary override like the custom sounds OXP did to default sounds
confused.brit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by confused.brit »

Hmm, the one im trying now its plist is hud.plist same as is in the file.

So take a copy of the default and just drop that plist into the main app folder?
Last edited by confused.brit on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

confused.brit wrote:
Thanks.

Its a shame the HUD OXPs dont do this automatically, or get to set up a temporary override like the custom sounds OXP did to default sounds
Maybe L could help there - in OSE he does exactly that: override the original hud.

Probably only requires to have the HUD oxp you want be the last oxp to include (add a prefix of "zz" or such) and copy the hud's plist to "hud.plist".

OSE's overriding is the way the DeepSpace HUD came to me...I didn't give it a try before, because it did look quite big to me on the images but when I got it that way and tried it, I just thought "hmmm...maybe a few little changes and I'm happy" ;)

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

confused.brit wrote:
Hmm, the one im trying now its plist is hud.plist same as is in the file.

So take a copy of the default and just drop that plist into the main app folder?
Hmmm. Could it be that you fly a ship that already has a custom hud entry? If so, I bet that it's hud key entry would have to be changed back to "hud.plist" then, if your HUD.oxp already overrides the standard HUD.

It's not necessary to replace the original hud.plist file in oolite, it's possible to override it from the Addon folder.

Screet
confused.brit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by confused.brit »

Its a moray starboat right now, so i doubt it. But something very weird is happening, check the custom sounds oxp thread for details. May be related
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

confused.brit wrote:
Its a moray starboat right now, so i doubt it. But something very weird is happening, check the custom sounds oxp thread for details. May be related
Hmmm. Just had a look at another hud oxp, and it also overrides the original one. Maybe those two issues really are related, but if so, I currently don't understand what's wrong.

Screet
confused.brit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by confused.brit »

The package installed Oolite to a different place.

All the changes I saw ans thought were to do with Realistic shipyards were to do with the new shader support... :oops: