Ring Racer OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

We should have a leaderboard per class here.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Tried it a few times in an ASP1 but I crash evertime even if I fly through a ring at dead slow speed. Can you make the rings so that you cannot crash? So a sort of projected course?

EDIT
Must be the ship. I'il try another ship first
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OXP now updated for v1.73, and due to the credit crunch and to encourage smaller teams, the entry fee has been capped at 2000 credits.

Download from the link in the first post, or from the links below.
Captain Patrick
Competent
Competent

Re: Ring Racer OXP

Post by Captain Patrick »

I had the mission to run my third race at Ceesxe, was greeted as a ring racer by the "Q" buoy, ran the race and received confirmation of 10 rings passed, but timer never started and no new time or mission was recorded at the end.

From Latest.log, these lines seem relevant:
17:59:13.437 [log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.75.3 (PPC-32 test release) under Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165) at 2011-12-14 17:59:13 -0800.
Machine type: PowerBook6,8, 1280 MiB memory, 1 x PowerPC G4 (7450) @ 1500 MHz.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing, JavaScript console support, Debug plug-in support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

17:59:15.902 [dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
17:59:16.125 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
<snip>
/Applications/Games/Oolite 1.75.3 f/AddOns/Ring Racer 1.21.oxp
<snip>
17:59:32.561 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 99 world scripts:
<snip>
RingRacer 1.20
<there seems to be a version discrepancy here, even though re-loaded today; snip>
18:00:27.288 [Ring Racer]: Linear race started near Ceesxe
18:00:27.601 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (RingRacer 1.20): TypeError: worldScripts['Welcome Information Script'].welcomeTimer is undefined
Let me know if any further info is needed.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Thargoid, I've had an idea: how about adding some NPC racers to the track?

With the Ship Storage Helper, the player could be even fitted in the same ship as his opponents (my ideas include Sidewinders, Mambas and Fer-de-Lances) and the opponents' speeds and exact tracks could be randomized a bit.

Could be fun, almost like Anakin's race in Star Wars.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Zireael wrote:
Thargoid, I've had an idea: how about adding some NPC racers to the track?

With the Ship Storage Helper, the player could be even fitted in the same ship as his opponents (my ideas include Sidewinders, Mambas and Fer-de-Lances) and the opponents' speeds and exact tracks could be randomized a bit.

Could be fun, almost like Anakin's race in Star Wars.
I like this idea!

Future idea: When they eventually allow us to own multiple ships and if anyone ever does do the ship upgrade idea (regarding pitch/roll/yaw, speed, etc) you could limit ring racing to a single "stock" ship but allow NPCs (and the player) to upgrade it. Space NASCAR ;)
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I need to get my head around the new JS AI's first, but it's certainly something that could probably now be done and could make it a bit more "interesting" to do a race...

I'll add it onto the list.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Thargoid wrote:
I need to get my head around the new JS AI's first, but it's certainly something that could probably now be done and could make it a bit more "interesting" to do a race...

I'll add it onto the list.

With luck there will be some spectacular NPC crashes too ;) Don't work out the bugs TOO much when you start fixing it. There should be at least one incompetent pilot on the circuit ;)

(hell, get someone to program an AI that will occassionally "accidentally" crash into another ship ;) )
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
As well as the JS "strategic" AI, for a proper racing AI you'll probably need to use the frame-by-frame [wiki]OXP_Scripted_AI[/wiki] as well. There's a very basic demo OXP that adds some Vipers to orbit the planet, using the frame-by-frame AI to keep them on the orbital course far more precisely than "destination" can do. Getting them to go through the rings safely will be trickier...
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Captain Patrick wrote:
I had the mission to run my third race at Ceesxe, was greeted as a ring racer by the "Q" buoy, ran the race and received confirmation of 10 rings passed, but timer never started and no new time or mission was recorded at the end.
Having this same issue, with the same ring race in Ceesxe, and exactly the same error in the log:
20:27:43.055 [Ring Racer]: Linear race started near Ceesxe
20:27:43.096 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (RingRacer 1.20): TypeError: worldScripts['Welcome Information Script'].welcomeTimer is undefined
20:27:43.096 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: C:\Program Files (x86)/Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.RingRacer.oxz/Scripts/ringRacer_systemScript.js, line 94.
Has anyone ever managed to finish the third ring race and get their next mission location and time?
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

If you uninstall Welcome Mat OXP then you will avoid this error.

Alternatively I made a fix of this bug, please test it if you have time: uninstall Ring Racer in the expansion manager but keep Welcome Mat, download the fixed version and put into your AddOns folder. If no more problem then I can request the upload of the fix into the manager.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Welcome Mat patch version tested and successful for the Ceexse Ring Course, Norby. It worked and I got my time and the next course system at the end. I think we've got a winner.

Anyone else want to give it a whirl?
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.