Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Appearing then exploding rocks in the distance (1.73)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

horse
Average
Average

Appearing then exploding rocks in the distance (1.73)

Post by horse »

Hi,

I've just started playing a bare version 1.73 using debian lenny and I noticed something odd after my last witchspace jump.

As I headed towards the station in the distance kept appearing large rocks that would rotate a bit and then blow up. It just seems weird to me that the rock should be visible in it's death throws but not beforehand.

Is this a bug?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I have seen this under Windows with 1.73. Wreckages are rescaled during explosions and for some reason are cached with their meshes rescaled. This results in bigger and bigger wreckages (with bigger and bigger accompanying explosions) appearing as you play. If you rebuild the cache with shift, these occurences stop for a while, but it usually takes something like 5-6 docking runs before you will start noticing this again. For me, this is right now the bug that would halt a release of 1.73, even if it had been planned for tomorrow.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

another_commander wrote:
I have seen this under Windows with 1.73.
Where can one get 1.73. (I know it may require that you compile from source, but where is the 1.73 source).

If it is closed (developers only), I fully understand.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

On the contrary, it is completely open, but yes, you have to build from source until it gets to a point where it will be considered ready for release. Full instructions for building from the source code under Windows can be found in the wiki:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Running_Oolite-Windows
For Mac:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Running_Oolite-Mac
and for Linux:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4595
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

is there a conflict between ..

ParticleEntity.m line 51
PARTICLE_EXPLOSION = 201,

OOTypes.h line 185
BEHAVIOUR_FLY_TO_DESTINATION = 201,

I'm not familiar with the syntax / context.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

No, those are used in entirely different contexts. (One is for ParticleEntity subtypes, the other is for ShipEntity AI behaviours.)
horse
Average
Average

Post by horse »

Ah, I think I got this version using SVN in November. I should imagine it's changed quite a bit by now. I shall probably downgrade to 1.72.

EDIT: Forget that. I just did an update and I'm now at revision 2032. GOd knows what revision it was on. I'd totally forgotten I'd SVN'd it.

Is there a dedicated thread for reporting bugs on the trunk?
horse
Average
Average

SVN

Post by horse »

Sorry to yabber on, but if you update from SVN when using debian do you have to

dpkg-buildpackage

again or is there another command?
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Re: SVN

Post by _ds_ »

horse wrote:
Sorry to yabber on, but if you update from SVN when using debian do you have to

dpkg-buildpackage

again or is there another command?
I normally use debuild binary with at least half a dozen patches applied (anybody who wants to have a look, see .sig); usually, it's from a clean tree (debuild clean), but sometimes I just rm build-stamp first.

[quote="horse"As I headed towards the station in the distance kept appearing large rocks that would rotate a bit and then blow up. It just seems weird to me that the rock should be visible in its death throes but not beforehand.[/quote]

… which is why I locally back out the dynamic mesh code changes. Time to try the mesh rewrite branch…?
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

can this problem be tested using console generated ships/asteroids for wreckage ?
is the JavaScript console supposed to work with version 1.73 on Windows. CTRL-J does nothing.
Info-gnustep.plist is not in trunk. used 1.72 version without success.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Solas wrote:
can this problem be tested using console generated ships/asteroids for wreckage ?
is the JavaScript console supposed to work with version 1.73 on Windows. CTRL-J does nothing.
Info-gnustep.plist is not in trunk. used 1.72 version without success.
It should be possible to test it with the debug console. The DC works just fine with 1.73 on Windows. As for the Info-gnustep.plist, it is just a renamed Info-Oolite.plist, originally found in src/Cocoa. The bug does not occur in 1.72.2, which is probably why you could not reproduce it there.

You can do it also without the DC, though. To test: Launch Oolite with clean cache. Exit station and shoot stuff until some wreckage appears. Reenter station, exit game. Reload without clearing cache and repeat. Soon you will start noticing the wreckage becoming oversized.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Solas wrote:
Yes, but ctrl-J isn’t expected to do anything. Except on the Mac, you need to use an external console program as explained on the Debug OXP wiki page. Additionally, you’ll need to modify the requires.plist file in Debug.oxp to work with 1.73, or use Basic-debug.oxp from tools/simpleDebugConsole in the repository.
horse
Average
Average

Post by horse »

_ds_ wrote:
I normally use debuild binary with at least half a dozen patches applied (anybody who wants to have a look, see .sig); usually, it's from a clean tree (debuild clean), but sometimes I just rm build-stamp first.
Thanks for the advice _ds_. Perhaps the installation page might be helped with this information for brave but naive souls like me?

Regards the exploding in the distance, I continue to have this issue with Revision 2033.

Also, I started a dogfight with a Cobra Mk3 (it started on me to be precise) but when I get behind it, it gives up (returns to yellow) and then inexplicably blows up in my face. Another bug?
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

another_commander wrote ..
I have seen this under Windows with 1.73. Wreckages are rescaled during explosions and for some reason are cached with their meshes rescaled. This results in bigger and bigger wreckages (with bigger and bigger accompanying explosions) appearing as you play. If you rebuild the cache with shift, these occurences stop for a while, but it usually takes something like 5-6 docking runs before you will start noticing this again. For me, this is right now the bug that would halt a release of 1.73, even if it had been planned for tomorrow.
I saw these effects until I built 1.73 Rev 2047.
while testing I updated my Resources directory and removed all OXPs (renamed AddOns dir).
removing all OXPs in AddOns seems to remove ( or hide ) the problem for me.
replacing Zzzz_Realistic_Shipyards_V3.02b.oxp re-applys the bug ( not implying that the bug is there )
horse
Average
Average

Post by horse »

On the same revision as Solas, I am still suffering the same bug although it's effects have become, if anything, more extreme.

I now have rocks appearing right in front of me, rotating and blowing up - Game Over.

Oddly, it has taken one or two flights since I rebuilt the application for the bug to reappear, but it's going to be a bit annoying having to do that all the time. :)

I read the logs up to 2055. Doesn't look like this has been fixed yet.