Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Xarik multirole spaceplane OXP released

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

gogz69 wrote:
Latest photograph from the What Ship review mag.

What Ship interview
--------------------------

Today, we have an exclusive interview with Derik Rohi, the test pilot who flew the Xarik spaceplane prototype.

WS: Thank you for speaking with me today, Mr. Rohi.
DR: No problem. I trust your flight to the bar wasn't too harrowing. These Anarchy systems can get rather wild.
WS: Yes, without a doubt. So... The Xarik spaceplane. Why is it called a spaceplane?
DR: Pteradyne took an interesting direction with it's design. As you're probably aware, there's no frictional resistance in space, apart from little bits of spacedust. So a spaceship can be any shape, with little impact to it's performance. But in atmosphere, it's a wholly different ballgame. Atmosphere has resistance, lots of it. The Xarik isn't a spaceship retrofitted to fly in air, it's an aircraft designed to operate in space.
WS: Ahh...I see...I think. Forgive me, I'm not too familiar with aircraft. Moving on, what's it like to fly a Xarik?
DR: I take it you fellows haven't got one to review yet?
WS: No sir. They've just went into production, and it seems there's already a lot of interest.
DR: Oh. Well, there were two prototypes. The first prototype didn't handle too well...Very twitchy in space, and even worse in the air.
The engineers used the flight recorder data and my recommendations to tune the flight computer on prototype two. After that, it was just simple tweaks to get very smooth performance.
WS: We've heard that the flight control system is customizable by the crew.
DR: That's true. The flight computer comes with user-definable software. It's an ingenious approach; you don't like how it performs? Do something about it. Of course, as the used land vehicle salesbeings like to say, 'your milage may vary'.
WS: The Xarik is said to be heavily armed, some may say too much so. Your thoughts?
DR: Between pirates, Thargoids, and others that for whatever reasons want you dead, combat is an enviable reality. The Xarik is meant to be a multirole craft, and unfortunately, surviving getting shot at just happens to be one of the roles in question. Compared to a Dragon, the Xarik's armaments are rather light in my opinion. But the Xarik can do things a Dragon cannot, like enter atmosphere and make a profit on the milk run routes.
WS: OK, that makes sense. We've priced it, and for such an adaptable machine, it's incredibly inexpensive.
DR: It may not look it on the outside, but on the inside it shows - the Xarik is built as cheaply as they can get away with and maintain structural stability, as well as meet design goals. It's not a luxury craft. It's a no-frills, gets the job done machine. The old Cobra 3 is the height of luxury compared to a Xarik's cockpit. Much of the components have been around for decades. There's no reactor; it uses thermodynes and solar collectors for energy generation. At least it's reliable and easily serviced, something you just don't get in bleeding edge components.
WS: Sounds like if I buy one, I'll have to bring my own seat covers! And hire a co-pilot who's also a shadetree mechanic and computer geek.
DR: <chuckling> Precisely. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go. Too much ale and it wants to leave.
WS: I understand. Thank you for your time, and this wonderful insight.

So there you are, folks. The Xarik, from the first pilot to warm it's seat and handle it's controls.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Way to advertise it as cheaply built...
It comes flat packed, assemble it yourself...?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

My torture test was to take it out on a Random Hits Level 3 contract.
I made the kill with it and survived, though the ship got battered a bit.

Now motormouth, you're challenged to take one out for a spin yourself, or, if you think you can do one better, then by all means go for it. Either way, cease the cheapshots.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

RH level 3? What kind of EQ do I get?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I dressed the Xarik for RH with this recommended battlekit.

Laser mounts:
Fore military
Aft military
Starboard beam
Port beam

Pylons:
2 drop tanks
2 emergency repair units
and fill the rest with hardened missiles, or better, military missiles

Other kit:
Fuel scoop
Injectors
EEU
ECM
Anti-missile system
Shield booster
Shield enhancer
Avd compass
Multi-targeting (for cycling/selecting pylons)
Escape pod

Optional:
Patience
Timing
A lot of guts
Dead reckoning
A damn good aim
Ruthlessness
And one standard ration of luck
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ooo nifty, It has a mimetic look to it. Sort of like a space shark. Can't wait to take it out for a spin. I'm looking forward to seeing how you've calibrated the lasers.

Downloading now! :)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Deal. I'll do a Level 3 RH contract with that EQ. Haven't had much time recently for playing Oolite, so I'll do it when I can.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Some of you said it can use texture variety. Custom textures are easily done.
Hint: look in the 'resources' folder in the download package.

As an example, the Dawn Clipper, anodized with the traditional Rohi colors.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Like it more an more, and I don't care what your intentions were, Cdr Wyvern, I think it does have a Bio look to it and I like that. I think you should go with the Bio theme.

Just my opinion.....
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Gimi wrote:
I don't care what your intentions were...I think you should go with the Bio theme.
Your opinion is noted, but the answer is still no.

If I did that, it would no longer be a Pteradyne craft, and it wouldn't be original. It would just be a Caduceus mini-me. That simply doesn't work IMHO.

It's a space-capable aircraft, as aircraft would be built in an age of widespread galactic travel by a corporation that specializes in advanced aircraft first, and unique milspecced spacecraft second. (That shouldn't be such a difficult concept to grasp! It wasn't for David Braben, hello.) The same company responsible for the Paladin, Excalibur, and Dragon. Should all of those ships be torn down and reformed into organics, ie Caduceus mini-mes?

And while we're at trying to apply bionics to machines, let's insist that all of Simon's Neo ships be organic Caduceus mini-mes, as they're smooth-hulled, aerodynamic machines, too. I doubt Simon would budge either. While you're at it, start bugging Selzen for an organic IC.

Kindly do care what my intentions were, all of you. I had very exact goals in mind when working on this thing. Sorry to be harsh about it, but this insistence that I scrap all those goals is starting to rub a nerve :evil:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

My humble apologies. :oops:

Jut liked the general design. Following your design thoughts, small air intakes for atmospheric flight would be cool, although in space I suppose they would be covered, or possibly no air needed for the engines during atmospheric flight.
It would just be a Caduceus mini-me.
That, in my view, is being unfair to your own design. They would both stand on their own.

Some questions:

There is a knob or something on the side of the fuselage. What is that? Also I like the lights, but would it be possible to make actual markings indicating the light fixtures on the texture. I think it is partly owing to the shader lights looking like they are coming from inside that makes the whole thing look slightly translucent and thus giving me the Bio feel.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Gimi wrote:
There is a knob or something on the side of the fuselage. What is that?
Turret?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Gimi wrote:
My humble apologies. :oops:

Jut liked the general design. Following your design thoughts, small air intakes for atmospheric flight would be cool, although in space I suppose they would be covered, or possibly no air needed for the engines during atmospheric flight.
Air intakes was something I considered, but in the end decided quiruim powered drives wouldn't be airbreathing engines. The interior spaces would have to be pressurized for upper atmosphere, poisonous/corrosive atmospheres, and space anyhow, which means a self-contained, internal air system, good old catalytic airscrubbers and all.
It would just be a Caduceus mini-me.
That, in my view, is being unfair to your own design. They would both stand on their own.
Well, not quite. Different design philosophies - the Caddy is a bionic combat vehicle, where the Xarik is a fighting trader - yet their respective capabilities comes somewhat close to each other.
Some questions:

There is a knob or something on the side of the fuselage. What is that? Also I like the lights, but would it be possible to make actual markings indicating the light fixtures on the texture. I think it is partly owing to the shader lights looking like they are coming from inside that makes the whole thing look slightly translucent and thus giving me the Bio feel.
Knobs? You mean the autoturrets arranged around the middle fuselage, or the canard wings on the front of the craft?

The lights are good old LED arrays inbedded in the hull and covered with a diffused epoxy lens set flush with the hull surface. Then the hull surface is anodized, painted over with several clearcoats, and waxed to perfection. :) If only overland vehicles were built with that much care.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Deadly
Deadly

Post by 0235 »

my reactions are "wow, why cant it look that good on my pc" and also "auto turrets, amazing"

i know what im getting for my birthday, a new graphics card and a whole lot of ram, simply so i can get 1.71
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

0235 wrote:
my reactions are "wow, why cant it look that good on my pc" and also "auto turrets, amazing"

i know what im getting for my birthday, a new graphics card and a whole lot of ram, simply so i can get 1.71
Hmm. I play Oolite 1.72.2 on a lowspeced machine myself, with full shaders enabled and decent framerates.

Athalon XP singlecore CPU, a Geforce FX based video card with 128MB onboard, and about a gig of system ram. I run WinXP on that box, nLited and tweaked to squeeze gaming performance out of it. It's no powerhouse compared to the machines on the shelves nowadays, but it gets the job done.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC