Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXPs and game versions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mostly rubbish
Poor
Poor

OXPs and game versions

Post by mostly rubbish »

Hi All,

I've just rediscovered the fun of Elite - Oolite, that is - after years of mourning its absence from my life. Funnily enough, without Elite/Olite I've had years of getting things done, but all that's about to change I suspect...

Anyway. I know that 1.65 is the stable release, and that everything else is beta (more or less?). What I was wondering was if there was a reliable list of which OXPs went with what, as there seem to be lots for 1.70 onwards, and I don't want to download any that don't work with 1.65.

Can anyone help?

Cheers!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I think that the Oolite Wiki pages mention the minimum game version required for OXPs. The problem is that the wiki is currently down.

What I would strongly recommend is to forget about version 1.65. The newer ones are far more stable (don't let the fact that they are test/betas scare you, they really are more stable), they support all the new eye candy and scripting enhancements implemented since 2006 - year of the 1.65 release, have far better performance and support all OXPs. Go for the 1.72.2 version.
tomsk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tomsk »

I tried 1.65 on my return to oolite earlier this month.
I then switched to 1.72.1 because of all the goodies and I found it more stable than 1.65. All I've had (with 1.72.1) are a few errors with textures.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Any OXP that works with 1.65 will (should) work with the test releases. But there are probabley about 20 OXPs that require a higher version and won't work with 1.65. If an OXP doesn't say otherwise it will (should) work on 1.65. The ones that do require higher versions say so on the Wikki OXP page (when its working again). Bt as A_C says, install the latest version as this not only fixes a lot of bugs in 1.65, but supports extra features.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Yeah, 1.72.2 owns 1.65 any day.

Edit: greetings, earthling!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
mostly rubbish
Poor
Poor

Post by mostly rubbish »

thanks for all the replies peeps.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 - where can I find 1.72 for it?

Cheers,

Si
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

mostly rubbish wrote:
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 - where can I find 1.72 for it?
Hmm? Oh yes, that. Here you go.