Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cataclysm.oxp (1.1) now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Cataclysm.oxp (1.1) now available

Post by Pleb »

I'm on the fence with this one, as I like this OXP but I do quite like the Galactic Navy OXP as well. I tend to take stuff out and put it back in on a random basis... 8)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

I see. Thanks for the reply. The Galactic navy oxp is, unfortunately, very core game in my opinion. It's one of the things that I think should have been within the original game. It's why I downloaded it. That being said, I understand that you don't want to go through the hassle of fixing the oxp. Several versions of Oolite to update? Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun.

....I do have one more question though...If the oxp is broken and you don't plan on fixing it...why is it still on the wiki? :? Isn't that a bit misleading?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Falcon777 wrote:
The Galactic navy oxp is... one of the things that I think should have been within the original game.
Why? Oolite is a recreation of Elite, and just like Elite, Oolite already has a Navy, Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy, which features from time to time in the core-game missions. The 'core' Navy however does not break the balance of the game and spam every other system with a naval presence that makes no sense.
Falcon777 wrote:
....I do have one more question though...If the oxp is broken and you don't plan on fixing it...why is it still on the wiki? :? Isn't that a bit misleading?
The Wiki lists all available OXPs. Simple as that :wink:
It does not guarantee that they work with all versions of Oolite. Neither does it imply whether they are any good or whether they may affect the game in any way, which is why so many game-breaking OXPs are listed.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Falcon777 wrote:
If the oxp is broken and you don't plan on fixing it...why is it still on the wiki?
If we thinking as a community then somebody can get motivation for help by reading the documentation.
Commander McLane wrote:
there aren't even that many fixes needed to make it work somehow ... I'm not very motivated to put much work into it.
If you do not plan to make the beautiful version in the near future then I think it is worth to mention that I made a working somehow version which is currently tested against syntax errors only but at least loadable in Oolite 1.77 and can give further motivation to others to continue the improvement.

I know the license is allow to modify it but I will be more untroubled if you say that you do not worry if others make modifications in this OXP. In this case I will publish the download link of my fix here.
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

Smivs wrote:
Falcon777 wrote:
The Galactic navy oxp is... one of the things that I think should have been within the original game.
Why? Oolite is a recreation of Elite, and just like Elite, Oolite already has a Navy, Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy, which features from time to time in the core-game missions. The 'core' Navy however does not break the balance of the game and spam every other system with a naval presence that makes no sense.
Just as it doesn't really make sense for the Thargoids to live in interstellar space and have no homeworld (though, from what I understand, the Thargoid plans native mission hints that they DO have a homeworld), it REALLY doesn't make sense for the Navy to not have bases scattered throughout the galactic charts near worlds. That, more than anything else, was the reason for why I downloaded it. The fact that any old (clean legal status) person can come along and dock at a navy station is more an indication of how desperate the war is against the thargoids (the ability to dock at a station being a portion of its "game-breaking" nature). The existence of patrols near a sector command station (i.e. within that system space), makes sense if you've ever spent a significant amount of time in Virginia, U.S.A.

All that being said, the merits of the Galactic Navy oxp (or possible lack therof) are a matter of opinion, so I won't keep on going on about it. I appreciate the answers you all have given. Cheers.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

New version (2023) rewritten by Phkb is available through his thread here: Cataclysm 2.0
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?