Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cataclysm.oxp (1.1) now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I'm looking for the constrictor... :oops: I had decided to skip out of it first time around... But I lost him as soon as I made the GH jump...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Mission accomplished. Commander signing off. :D

Stressful. I did my part in defending the galaxies as we know. But it may be not enough. I think we need more commanders to fight those creatures when we ever want to win the battle against the thargoid menace. :o
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
Mission accomplished. Commander signing off. :D

Stressful. I did my part in defending the galaxies as we know. But it may be not enough. I think we need more commanders to fight those creatures when we ever want to win the battle against the thargoid menace. :o
:D :D :D

And thanks for the extensive feedback! (For those of you with no access to my PMs: Eric wrote six!) I am sure future commanders will very much profit from your work.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

And for those of us with?

I mean, I mean, I mean.... say an admin read one...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I trust our admin not to sneak after other people's PMs. :wink:

First I don't even know whether he could, second I do know that he's got better things to do. 8)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

It would be sad if he had nothing better to do...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

[Vector]: Vector: Warning: An other oxp has not cleared missionVariables.offering - CATACLYSM

Screet
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Screet wrote:
[Vector]: Vector: Warning: An other oxp has not cleared missionVariables.offering - CATACLYSM
This is not a bug in Cataclysm. It uses the command to launch the player from a station, but when this is done by a script the Vector will detect it before anything else can be executed by Cataclysm. Eric already told me about it and I'll change the Vector to check it later.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Svengali wrote:
Screet wrote:
This is not a bug in Cataclysm. It uses the command to launch the player from a station, but when this is done by a script the Vector will detect it before anything else can be executed by Cataclysm. Eric already told me about it and I'll change the Vector to check it later.
Hmmm. Now I got the same complaint from UPS. This time, I wasn't properly docked! The station was still visible and rotating, no docking screen...I had then to hit 1 for launch and re-dock again which is when UPS told me about this.

From the log:

Code: Select all

[general.error.inconsistentState]: ERROR: status is STATUS_DOCKED, but dockedStation is nil; treating as not docked. This is an internal error, please report it.
[general.error.inconsistentState]: ERROR: status is STATUS_IN_FLIGHT, not STATUS_DOCKED, but dockedStation is not nil; treating as docked. This is an internal error, please report it.
This happened on the first docking attempt after using the galactic hyperdrive for cataclysm, I don't know if any message from Cataclysm should have been shown.

During the first docking attempt there also was no screen for the captured pirates...

Screet
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
Hmmm. Now I got the same complaint from UPS. This time, I wasn't properly docked! The station was still visible and rotating, no docking screen...I had then to hit 1 for launch and re-dock again which is when UPS told me about this.
In UPS I try to detect 3 different wrong situations. Two have to do with launching:

Code: Select all

"ups_warning" = "UPS-Courier detected that on the last launch the choice key was not reset. This probably means that an other script than UPS has forgotten to clear this choice.\\n\\nUPS has no means to determine if an other OXP has forgotten to reset it or still has to process it. This means that UPS would have suppressed his own choices offering screens when one was scheduled for the previous docking."; 

"ups_warning3" = "UPS-Courier detected that on the last launch, the mission offer was not reset. This probably means that an other script than UPS has forgotten to clear this mission offer or that the player launched from out of an offer screen before making a choice.\\n\\nUPS has no means to determine what caused it and will reset itself and redo the offer when the right conditions are met again.\\n\\nJust one warning to the player when this was caused by launching from within an offer: UPS will reset properly but some other OXP's might not anticipate on this and could prohibit further offers when the player launched from within an offering screen. So never do this."; 
It are the same two things Vector tries to catch. The current vector code is sometimes to fast with its conclusions because it checks on launch and the other oxp still might correct things later in the launch code. UPS checks these things on docking. That way I'm sure others oxp had a fair chance to clear things themselves.

Vector writes its findings to a log for programmers only, UPS presents it's findings in a mission screen for all players visible so they know there could have been something wrong. (So they can do the next save under an other name).
Especially using the 1 key from within a missionscreen is bad. Some oxp's will stop doing offers after that. The legacy version of oolites trumble offer was an example of things going wrong by launching this way. (Or you could do it intentionally to stop trumble offers).
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
Vector writes its findings to a log for programmers only, UPS presents it's findings in a mission screen for all players visible so they know there could have been something wrong. (So they can do the next save under an other name).
Yepp. The warning in Vector.oxp (and OXPConfig) is more or less meant as a helper for scripters. I don't think that 'normal' users will take a look in the log if they don't have problems. Erics approch is more a educational thing (and maybe a better way). My thought was that any offer has to be directly bound to the handling. Displaying the screen - the user chooses - and a reaction follows. But I hadn't thought about the oxps that are forcing the player to launch - it's not only Cataclysm. So this is also a bit educational - I have learned some more about Oolite and its AddOns .-)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
Especially using the 1 key from within a missionscreen is bad. Some oxp's will stop doing offers after that. The legacy version of oolites trumble offer was an example of things going wrong by launching this way. (Or you could do it intentionally to stop trumble offers).
What should I have done then? I didn't get a docked screen, but a frozen picture from flying together with the sight of a rotating station (which I wasn't properly docked to, see the log excerpt). The station kept rotating, being the only thing not "frozen".

I don't know if cataclysm was mixing in there and would have liked to show me something after the first galactic jump, I never had such a problem of being docked and still having an outside view with a rotating station. Thus I launched, docked properly, saved and did the second required intergalactic jump. Cataclysm then sent me a proper screen when I arrived at the target galaxy. I've got a screenshot, but I bet it's not that interesting, is it?

Screet
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Screet wrote:
What should I have done then? I didn't get a docked screen, but a frozen picture from flying together with the sight of a rotating station (which I wasn't properly docked to, see the log excerpt). The station kept rotating, being the only thing not "frozen".
Hehe, this happens from time to time, but I don't think that this is related to Cataclysm. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've had this too when I've had modelled the GRS station and tried to tweak the port_radius. And Random Hits user have had similiar things too. It's rare (or we would get more reports about it - and I'd bet not your fault .-)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
Yes, this must be a real error that should be reported. I see them so often from the launch commands that I ignore them. But re-reading your log I see this one is different and even contradicting. It is not caused by the launch command like in your earlier report.

The second error line says that it will be treated as docked (but you weren't). This somehow triggered all docking handlers without giving you the docking rings.
Than when cataclysm uses the code to set up its mission screen nothing happens as you can't set up a mission screen in flight. Offers are set up and that is what ups catches. But that means there was definitely an oxp trying to set up an offer. Most will recover from it. And when you don't have other missions running that missed screen won't bother you.

I've never seen such a bad docking however. Could be a combination between ship size or structure and dock size.
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

Windows users can locate text in a folder ( incl. subfolders ) using Agent Ransack.
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
results are listed by file and line numbers .. freeware and extremely useful.
"missionVariables.offering" showed one result for me .. OXPConfig.
this does not prove this OXP is at fault. Also others have many more OXPs than me.