Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cataclysm.oxp (1.1) now available

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
Why yes, that’s exactly what is_external_dependency is for.
Stoopid me! :oops: I even typed that into the new ReadMe... (Perhaps I could say to my defense that I typed a lot of things into the new ReadMe.) And it is not yet in the wiki.
However, there is a bug such that the “nonexistent model” error occurs even with is_external_dependency.
Which will be fixed for the next release?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
that’s exactly what is_external_dependency is for. However, there is a bug such that the “nonexistent model” error occurs even with is_external_dependency.
I have noticed. The name of the model is suppressed but not the error report itself.
But using this key only makes sense when the JS code itself checks for the presence of the existing dependency. When not, better leave this key away so the dependency warning is written to the log.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
But using this key only makes sense when the JS code itself checks for the presence of the existing dependency.
No, it also makes sense for ships that are not explicitly used in scripts or otherwise. For instance, if the cataclysm-military-hydra and cataclysm-military-rattlecutter are only invoked through the cataclysm_military role, everything’s fine – you’ll just get cataclysm-military-vipers and cataclysm-military-wolfs if Military Fiasco is not installed.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ahruman wrote:
No, it also makes sense for ships that are not explicitly used in scripts or otherwise. For instance, if the cataclysm-military-hydra and cataclysm-military-rattlecutter are only invoked through the cataclysm_military role, everything’s fine – you’ll just get cataclysm-military-vipers and cataclysm-military-wolfs if Military Fiasco is not installed.
...and cataclysm-military-asps, to complete the list. :wink: And yes, that's exactly how I intended it. Only that I didn't insert the is_external_dependency key in the cataclysm-military-rattlecutter and the cataclysm-military-hydra. D'oh! (And that it wouldn't have worked anyway, of course...)

Anyway, just uploading Cataclysm1.1, where I have included full clones of the hydra and the rattlecutter. Just makes the OXP 500 KB bigger (four additional textures!). But now any real dependency on other OXPs is removed.

Yet it is still true that having Behemoth and/or Military Fiasco installed may sometimes help you. You get an awful lot of the time attacked by Thargoids at the witchpoint (or in interstellar space). So it may be useful to have something to keep them busy. :wink:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Okay, Cataclysm1.1 now up. Download location at wiki-page.

The two additional military ships are now fully incorporated into Cataclysm. No external dependency anymore.

Have fun playing! :D (And only the playing-the-whole-night-through players would have had a chance so far to reach the point of the story where the military ships appear, anyway. I guess.)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

For the reason I mostly mod elite instead of playing (91 kills, don't laugh :)) I'm far of to to this series of missions. However I await the day I have to enlist for the Navy to join the Thargoid war :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

pagroove wrote:
For the reason I mostly mod elite instead of playing (91 kills, don't laugh :))
:shock:

Meaning you haven't even been offered the Constrictor mission?!?

Then you are indeed still faaaaaaaar away from it. No, make that a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! :)

Or you take another_commander as an example (earlier in this thread):
Time to readjust the coding / playing ratio methinks.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Anyway, I hope some of you are in the middle of the storyline already, and may have advanced quite a bit.

So, time for a little feedback?!? What do you think of it? (Be gracious to its author. It's his first big mission OXP. :) )
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
Anyway, I hope some of you are in the middle of the storyline already, and may have advanced quite a bit.
Not that fast, I am currently finishing off some loose ends in G5. And I still have to jump a few galaxies. I assume there will be more that first have to go there (rather than load any old G1 commander)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Indeed,

But the best thing is I enjoy it slowly :)

Commander McLane wrote:
pagroove wrote:
For the reason I mostly mod elite instead of playing (91 kills, don't laugh :))
:shock:

Meaning you haven't even been offered the Constrictor mission?!?

Then you are indeed still faaaaaaaar away from it. No, make that a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! :)

Or you take another_commander as an example (earlier in this thread):
Time to readjust the coding / playing ratio methinks.
:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Finished it and I can summarize my feelings about it in three simple words:
Oh. My. God.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I'm in the same boat as pagroove, my kill count is way to low to trigger the missions, :( by the time i get to play it i expect Cataclysm2: This time its personal.oxp will be out.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Griff wrote:
i expect Cataclysm2: This time its personal.oxp will be out.
I think I'll leave the sequelitis to Hollywood where it belongs, and do something else. (I don't think that the real Jameson in the time of Elite/Oolite should still play Cataclysm1673: But now the Thargoids get kicked their exosceletonal arses for real.oxp :wink: .)

I still have a couple of unfinished and unrelated mission OXP WIPs on my harddisk, after all (and they will have a much lower entry condition).

BTW, Griff: another_commander PMed me about some issues with the shaders in Cataclysm. As those are completely your work I asked him to communicate with you as well.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

is it the blink_on_off code being broken in simple shader mode? i made some mistakes in the shader code there, A_C showed me how to fix it in Arks Tradeoutpost/Constore thread, i'll update the .fragment shader and pm you the code. for some reason i can't find the original files on my pc and the wiki wasn't working when i tried to download cataclysm
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Commander McLane wrote:

So, time for a little feedback?!? What do you think of it? (Be gracious to its author. It's his first big mission OXP. :) )
I still didn't make the whole trip around all galaxies. Currently in the proper one to do assassins...or save those and do some more galactic jump.

I don't know how similar it is for others, but I guess this explains the few answers to your request.

Screet