Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

RFC: Fancy classics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Commander McLane wrote:
Simon B wrote:
In which case there is no stable version - yet one carries that label.
If you're not happy with the label 'stable', think of it as an 'official release'.
<testy>yes I know - I can think of it as "Mavis" if it makes me happier - that's not what I'm talking about!</testy>
The last (and therefore current) official release is 1.65. Everything since has clearly and consistently been marked as 'test releases'.

And there is no debate or discussion needed about that. That's just the facts.
This is not in dispute, and not what I proposed discussing.

Consider then:
What do people need to install to best enjoy the game?
Which release would you seriously recommend?
Which release should I build the OXP for?
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Simon B wrote:
What do people need to install to best enjoy the game?
Which release would you seriously recommend?
Which release should I build the OXP for?
Ehm, I would answer the latest test release for all of these..

But I don't play very often so I might not encounter some bugs. The point is that some things have been changed and the latest test release is much more like the next stable than the 1.65.

So if you code for 1.65 it will become obsolete in the (medium term?) future and you may have to change a lot to make it work again. If you code for the latest test release, this risk will be smaller.

Also, some effect with shaders only exist in the test releases. 1.65 does textures (AFAIR) but not normal maps and such. Then again, you might want to stay away from these advanced effects for a replacement of the original ships. And also keep the polycount down so that the ships will work smoothly on old hardware.

Best wishes,
Oscar
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

ovvldc wrote:
So if you code for 1.65 it will become obsolete in the (medium term?) future and you may have to change a lot to make it work again.
Well this is not right. Whatever works for 1.65 will work in the next stable. If not this automatically mean that there would be a bug in the next stable. It is not meant for the next stable to lose some possibilities of the last.
ovvldc wrote:
Also, some effect with shaders only exist in the test releases. 1.65 does textures (AFAIR) but not normal maps and such.
Corect and also the real reason for developing in the last test because that way you will take advantage from the new features like shaders and generally more flexibility to a lot of staff
ovvldc wrote:
Then again, you might want to stay away from these advanced effects for a replacement of the original ships.
:twisted: What??
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Looking at this thread suggests that the next ship model should be the Galcop Viper?

There are two models with the interceptor more round - though I want to point out to those "I don't want anything which suggests Star Wars" people that the standard Viper looks a lot like a Star Destroyer.

(OT: Perhaps there could be a roaming "Star Constructor" ship which brings universal brotherhood everywhere it goes?)

It looks to me that the angular design should be kept for the viper - while the interceptor would be more smoothed.

I have also seen the rebel guard and the commies things. Also looked at craft from other systems to avoid... eg:

It would probably be fun to do a Prowler ...
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Simon B wrote:
(OT: Perhaps there could be a roaming "Star Constructor" ship which brings universal brotherhood everywhere it goes?)
The only thing remotely like a Star Constructer is of Vogon origin. And they are definately not into universal brotherhood.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
...is of Vogon origin. And they are...
...ahh...maybe that was the Thargon's original purpose, and it was only when their ideas were rejected by systems manipulated by galactic corporate strategy that they became belligerent...

...it would fit with their appalling poetry...
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
The only thing remotely like a Star Constructer is of Vogon origin. And they are definately not into universal brotherhood.

Captain Hesperus
Sure they are, as long as it involves hyperspace bypasses and/or awful poetry. Unfortunately, Vogon stubbornness on those subjects makes a mule look agreeable. If you happen to be in the way, it sucks to be you.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Star Gazer wrote:
Captain Hesperus wrote:
...is of Vogon origin. And they are...
...ahh...maybe that was the Thargon's original purpose, and it was only when their ideas were rejected by systems manipulated by galactic corporate strategy that they became belligerent...

...it would fit with their appalling poetry...
This ... actually is the story of FFE :lol:

Seriously. I played it unto the (massively broken) finale.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Dragging this thread kicking and screaming back onto topic...
Galcop Craft
In the classic ships, this mean Vipers!

Which all should be pretty self-explanatory.
Note: both craft are a mix of smooth and angular - the cruiser is smooth underneath and the Interceptor is smooth on top ;)

The classic craft are about the same size - the interceptor being slightly bigger. The models above were both derived from the std Viper and the relative size worked out when I made the bridges the same size.

Should these be the same size? Should the interceptor be smaller?

The Interceptor actually happened first ... I'd always planned for that to be a smoother model - and hitting "smooth" on the classic Viper in Wings automatically created the basic Interceptor shape.

Curiously, both models clock in at about 780 triangles.

People who have the wakapiko oxp will know that I have the namu fighter doing partrol duty - including a trick where I have three doing patrol at once - I figure they are cheaper that Vipers, flimsier in a fight, but can bring more collective firepower to bear in a pinch.

Out of curiosity, I did a Neolite edition of the Namu ... which I previously billed as competition for the Griff Krait. While doing the Vipers I took a side trip to do a Neo Namu up in my version of Galcop livery ... have a look:

Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Simon B's GalCop Ad wrote:
GalCops
Keeping the peace in six galaxies
So what do they do with the remaining two? ;-)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I'm liking these models very much! Just one quibble: the "snotter-green" colour. Maybe it'll look more golden and less mucousy against the black of space, in which case that would be fine – Oolite goldskins! Or maybe the tone is just too subtle for me. But maybe also it would be a good idea to make the Vipers high-visibility ships (they'll have flashers, I assume?) with lots of bold, high-contrast colouring?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Like like the new ships a lot - but I prefer the Mk1 to the Mk2 Interceptor.

I agree with the mighty brain-in-a-jar over the colour - other than the Italians is there any country in the world that uses green cars for its police force?

And for semantics - isn't Galcop an abbreviation of the Galactic Cooperation? And the fact that it jst shortens to Galcops and they just happen to have a law enfocement role is almost purely co-incidental?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

another_commander wrote:
Simon B's GalCop Ad wrote:
GalCops
Keeping the peace in six galaxies
So what do they do with the remaining two? ;-)
Partay!

(Knew someone would fall for it!)

The skin color improves with specular ... as you say, probably copper ;)
Interesting yours renders green - mine renders yellow-white. Tough there is a green tinge in the darker bits.

The skin color is actually an off-white with blue squares pasted over it merged to the std Oolite dark-metal texture. Have a look at the Mangomako image (earlier in this thread) to see the color non-merged.

I wanted these ships to look well-used.

Classic Vipers just have plain metal a lot.

The Vipers are amongst the few ships which need higher visibility. As well as the magenta and blue flashers, there will also be running lights in the glow map and maybe a sign on the back saying "please watch your following distance".

The above images are just screenshots from Wings. The blue-background image is rendered from Wings - with a single OpenGL pass. This seems to have a similar effect as setting smooth=true in the oxp.

As usual, I have to really push for critique. You guys are too nice! Instead of "I like V1 better than V2" How about attempting to describe why?! Then I get to improve the design.

I notice though that the V1 is very similar to the Python design earlier. V2 should look better smoothed... maybe fewer lines on the upper hull? Maybe letting the upper hull colour wrap around like in the V1?

I suppose I should show pics of the original models alongside...
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

For the sake of being more open source - the Fonts are from Cumberland Fontworks (Free for noncommercial use - so you cannot sell the oxps ;) ) Specifically, the angular/square one is Futurex Apocalypse and the round one is Mexlar.

I should really check.
There ... just quirted an email directing the copyrights holder at this thread.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Hi Simon, I suppose for me the Interceptor looks too alien, whereas your remake of the Viper retains the solid and reliable look, it just looks more authoritative and armoured to me.
Maybe that 's just me having a lack of imagination :wink:
Not too sure about the livery either, (although I do like the way you place stripes on your ships) I agree that authority livery should always be bold and stand out, smart like a uniform, nicely designed to exude order in the process of removing individuality. I was quite fond of the blue/white/black combo, but it's probably worth having a few goes at something completely different.
The Viper is excellent, and so is the Neo Namu.