Solar OXP Conceptual Test-Release... beta 0.02

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

New Conceptual release v 0.02

download here

http://www.box.net/shared/2fx7o1ztoq

features..

new jump gate
a station is now added near the extra planet
jump gate near the extra station
gas giant is smaller

gas giant station has a nav buoy look for the dictator symbol on the space compass...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

right at this moment I spot the new jumgate 8) Cool man! I love the spinning gate.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Ok tested it and I was able to complete the journey through your magnificent jumpgate from Vetice to Gas Giant Vetice I. During this journey I made the following observations.

- Jumpgate is great and I love the animation
- It works as intended

- On arrival at the Gas Giant station there is no Safety zone ( I think it is deliberate?)
- It would be nice if the docking screen could show Coriolis Vetice I or something like that

On the journey back the main station is way out of orbit around the main planet. Is this due to the shifting planets or stations around? Do the stations including safetyzones and buoys now really orbit a planet?

Is it also possible to fly to Vetice I on the J-drive?

Anyway nice to see good progress. If you want I could make some gas giants.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Some alien feedback:

• I'm much less keen on the new jumpgate than my illustrious colleague above. Personally I really prefer the previous one, this new one just doesn't cut it for me. It's much too small and thin for my liking, doesn't look like it could do the job it's supposed to be doing.
  • Also when I went through it, I was offered a trumble when I "docked". Hence as you script-launch the player, it caused the known background image bug to happen (if you script launch during a mission offer with a background, that background then appears in every non-flight screen until another background is used in a subsequent mission offering). It's not strictly a problem in the OXP, but would be well worth working around.
  • For me it would be better to have some kind of buoy or something in space at the jump destination. Just getting dumped into space with absolutely nothing around and no way to orient yourself other than an ASC (if you have one) isn't good for me. I found the greenline coriolis and the next jumpgate, but it's kinda in the middle of nowhere.
  • It may just be the random set-up, but everything seems very disjointed now. There's not as much flow as to what you should be doing and where you should be going as before.
  • On my second jump (in Leesti, with System Redux also installed) the J appeared on the ASC, but no circle/triangle. There was no way to navigate toward it, only toward the station (which is I presume what the lightning bolt symbol points to). It seems to have dumped me in the middle of nowhere without any method of getting to anywhere sensible without a long torus jump?
For me from a playing viewpoint I'm not sure I don't prefer the previous version to be honest.
[/color]
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

For me it worked, I actually like the new jumpgate design - a matter of tase, perhaps. The gate could be a bit bulkier imo.

Is it save to leave this in for regular play yet or better not?

Cheers & * Go, Frame, go :D *

L
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Well I haven't tested version 1. So I cannot comment on that. :D
But the concept is there. I think the ideal version is then something which mixes the right element between concept oxp 0.1 and 0.2? 8) 8)

BTW: I can do some gas giants for you if you like.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Thargoid wrote:
Some alien feedback:

• I'm much less keen on the new jumpgate than my illustrious colleague above. Personally I really prefer the previous one, this new one just doesn't cut it for me. It's much too small and thin for my liking, doesn't look like it could do the job it's supposed to be doing.
  • Also when I went through it, I was offered a trumble when I "docked". Hence as you script-launch the player, it caused the known background image bug to happen (if you script launch during a mission offer with a background, that background then appears in every non-flight screen until another background is used in a subsequent mission offering). It's not strictly a problem in the OXP, but would be well worth working around.
  • For me it would be better to have some kind of buoy or something in space at the jump destination. Just getting dumped into space with absolutely nothing around and no way to orient yourself other than an ASC (if you have one) isn't good for me. I found the greenline coriolis and the next jumpgate, but it's kinda in the middle of nowhere.
  • It may just be the random set-up, but everything seems very disjointed now. There's not as much flow as to what you should be doing and where you should be going as before.
  • On my second jump (in Leesti, with System Redux also installed) the J appeared on the ASC, but no circle/triangle. There was no way to navigate toward it, only toward the station (which is I presume what the lightning bolt symbol points to). It seems to have dumped me in the middle of nowhere without any method of getting to anywhere sensible without a long torus jump?
For me from a playing viewpoint I'm not sure I don't prefer the previous version to be honest.
[/color]
Any mission or Trumble mission screen, will be sorted... not sure when or how yet... but a simple check of mission screen , running should be sufficient... also another fix, use ring pods AI method, or the simplest possible fix, treat this as a rock hermit... as far as I know, you do not get mission offerings at rock hermits. Just need to avoid Oolite using it as a rock hermit... :-)

Jump point buoy, will be added... in the next version

In Leesti I failed to reproduce your findings, I went back and forth between the two systems at least 10 times, and the triangle never disappeared or at any time was I dumped anywhere that required a long torus drive journey.. read my reply to pagroove regarding this...

Regarding jump gate design... i think i will try a mix, between the 0.01 design and the 0.02 design. not quite sure yet how.. but I usually solve that when I start modelling

I would like your complete OXP readout from your latest.log file...
Pagroove wrote:
On the journey back the main station is way out of orbit around the main planet. Is this due to the shifting planets or stations around? Do the stations including safetyzones and buoys now really orbit a planet?
Station name will be altered in the next version... the station will be named station name+system name+CurrentPlanet

I have not tested your findings in Vesti yet.. the main station should not have a different position. I suspect this along with Thargoids "findings to be an OXP that conflicts and makes "funny" things... as did the tesco stations and Pi-42 stations once with the original Rock Hermit Locator when all its scripting was done in the shipdata.plist file and the AI.plist files.

From you I would also like a complete OXP readout from the latest.log file...

Regarding saftyzones.. as far as i know, that is only possible for the main station. unless some to me unknown property such as safety_zone = yes; was included as a shipdata.plist property...

As always I'm greatly appreciating your testing, because without your testing, I wouldn't be able to do this... this goes for all of you...

Cheers Frame....

Edit:

Once i got all the planet handling down... I will try to add extraordinary setups.. these first jump gates you see know will only lead you to other planets with a setup similar to when you enter a new system via wishspace..

Of extraordinary set-ups i mean:

A ring system
where a jump gate will lead you too.. miners favourite places, mining stations, and nasty pirates that want your ore... gold/gems/platinum/minerals. This will involve some tricky removing and and rearranging of asteroids.. I imagine a ringsystem, where to sky is dominated by a large Gas Giant... similar to what you saw in CR 0.01...

Simple asteroid systems
Uses the same deal as the ring system, just, there is no gas giant... maybe a Ceres like dwarf planet

kuiper belt objects
Small plutoids, kuiper belt object sized planets... This is the place you wanna be, if you want to earn alot of credits, however, it is also the most dangerous place as it will be anarchy.

maybe i should have included this in the original solar OXP thread

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I think the mission screen for the trumble etc can pop up anywhere you're docked. I cannot say conclusively that they don't in rock hermits, but my original Planetfall stations were based on Rock Hermits and there they happily appeared. It may of course be related to names or roles or something automagical under the hood that I'm not aware of.

The trumble mission probably isn't the only one that will do this, it's just one of the more common ones.

At Leesti I launched from the station, planet landed, jumped, flew to and docked with your remote station and then launched and went through the jump gate near the station. Then ended up seemingly in the middle of nowhere as I said, blank J-compass entry and everything else pointing at locations a long way away. I only got out by doing a witchspace jump.

As to logs, I'm afraid I updated to 1.72.2 last night, as as part of that my logs are gone (mine's a slightly non-standard set-up as I run off an SD card which isn't the original installation location of the files). If I get chance I'll see if I can reproduce the problem and that log I'll save for you.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

How can I log?
I have not updated.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

pagroove wrote:
How can I log?
I have not updated.

latest.log

is found in oolite.app/logs

This goes for Thargoid too... I just need the list of the installed OXPs, if you fail to reproduce the event under 1.72.2, it means that the problem has gone away with some of the 1.72.2 fix...

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'll grab you the list this evening if I have time.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Frame wrote:
pagroove wrote:
How can I log?
I have not updated.

latest.log

is found in oolite.app/logs

This goes for Thargoid too... I just need the list of the installed OXPs, if you fail to reproduce the event under 1.72.2, it means that the problem has gone away with some of the 1.72.2 fix...

Cheers Frame...
PM me, then I can send the log to you by e-mail. The list is a bit to long to paste here in the forums.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, managed to repeat the experience.

@ Frame - I'll PM you the full log and JSConsole read-outs separately, but when I did the second jumpgate jump this appeared in the JSConsole:

Code: Select all

Warning (strict mode): reference to undefined property this.jumpgateStation[this.currentPlanet]
    Active script: "Frame Solar_system Concept" 0.02
    frame_build_system.js, line 459:
    		let ori = this.jumpgateStation[this.currentPlanet].orientation
Exception: TypeError: this.jumpgateStation[this.currentPlanet] has no properties
    Active script: "Frame Solar_system Concept" 0.02
    frame_build_system.js, line 459:
    		let ori = this.jumpgateStation[this.currentPlanet].orientation
Which I think is the source of the problem perhaps?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Solar OXP Conceptual Test-Release... beta 0.02

Post by Lestradae »

*bump*

*Looks around, hopefully*
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Solar OXP Conceptual Test-Release... beta 0.02

Post by Smivs »

Oooo...more thread necromancy :)
Three and a half years ain't bad.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.