Thargoid Carrier

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Selezen wrote:
Can't remember who took over the (re)development of the carrier...
This could be perceived as slightly insulting, given, say, the post directly above pwm57's. :wink:

However, I have to admit that I haven't been very active lately, as far as the development is concerned, so perhaps I should understand it as a, errmmm..., slightly odd way of encouragement. :)

It's mainly the multiple lasers which are still giving me a headache.

But as far as the commodities.plist is concerned: No problem. The next version of the Thargoid Carrier won't be dockable for the player, anyway.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Any news on this oxp? Or is it dead?

I just modified my own copy to give them lasers, diff ai, correct roles, the ability to launch tharglets and some mnior tweaks...
Since one of the roles i gave them was thargoid, i lowered thier bounty by 75% to 500 cr, going to force a misjump to test them, brb.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I'm making a note here: Huge Success!

Ok maybe it went a little too well, misjumped into witch space and right above me is a thargoid carrier thats now fully armed and operational, i lasted about 3 seconds in a fully equiped cobra mk3
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

ADCK wrote:

Ok maybe it went a little too well, misjumped into witch space and right above me is a thargoid carrier thats now fully armed and operational, i lasted about 3 seconds in a fully equiped cobra mk3
So, looking at your experiences with the re-made thargoid carrier, the cake was a lie?
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Portal is still one of my fav games of all time, it's up there with Elite and Goldeneye 64 in my top 3
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Talk about getting carried away, at first i just wanted to make the carriers fire lasers... which lead to them having more suitable stats, which lead to me wanting to retexture it with shaders...

Oh but i couldn't just stop there now that i had a fully operational death machine with shiny new textures, because i misjump into witchspace and after noticing my shiny new carrier i realise how dull all the other thargoids look...

I'm not talking just 2 models here, i'm talking all the thargoids from SecondWave_1.20.oxp and Thargorn_Threat 1.3.1.oxp. so i decide to use neolites thargoid model on the ones that use the standard model, and give them each there own texture.

And so i ended up with over 10 diff thargoid retextures and over 10 thargon retextures, oh and also gave the non standard ones (invaders/battleships/etc) Sungs textures with shaders.

And so i didn't get any sleep last night...

And now when i misjump in again to check out my shiny new fleet of thargon ships... what do i notice? The Galactic Navy looks a little dull...

><

well it ever end?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Currently my computer is broken down, so there is no development going on on my side.

It seems, however, that we have very different approaches to the Thargoid Carrier. Mine wouldn't specifically show up in interstellar space, but like the original in system space. It would however have a new purpose: Approaching and attacking the main station. And you would have to decide if you try to stop it before it can get there.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

This is precisely what an energy bomb is for. :)
ADCK wrote:

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Chrisfs wrote:
You don't actually think that a single energy bomb would be sufficient to kill a Thargoid Carrier, do you? 8)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Commander McLane wrote:
Chrisfs wrote:
You don't actually think that a single energy bomb would be sufficient to kill a Thargoid Carrier, do you? 8)
Lol i doubt it... i gave it 25000 energy (same as a corialis station) so that it could stand up to the galactic navy's behemoths.

And like i said earlier, i just cant seem to stop working on this, i just finished a behemoth retexture, it took ages to do because it uses like 5 textures on one ship, and that means a lot of coding too... Havn't tested it yet, still have a few bits of code to do.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

ADCK wrote:
><

well it ever end?
Snap! :lol:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

ADCK wrote:
I know I'm late coming to this, but just so you know, the Thargoid Carrier was originally my work, but I have handed off work to others who have more time.

Feel free to mod it yourself if you want to make improvements. I like the new texture I saw in another thread. Very shiny...
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Selezen wrote:
ADCK wrote:
I know I'm late coming to this, but just so you know, the Thargoid Carrier was originally my work, but I have handed off work to others who have more time.

Feel free to mod it yourself if you want to make improvements. I like the new texture I saw in another thread. Very shiny...
Hehe the shinyness was an unexpected bonus, it seems with reallly huge models like this one the get some weird results with shaders.

Like the behemoth, for some reason that i can't figure out it has a green shinyness about it when i add shaders to it.
Sisela Ytheleus
Average
Average

Docking with a Thargoid Carrier???

Post by Sisela Ytheleus »

I was asking myself what would happen if I tried to dock with a Thargoid Carrier? :roll:

Although they don't give you any docking permission you can force them to let you dock. :wink:
It is even possible to refuel your ship and trade goods at good prices.

Actually I expected that they would try to break into my ship for catching me and doing other things to me I don't dare to think about. :roll:
That would be an interesting idea for a new version of the Thargoid Carrier OXP.
As far as I know there isn't anybody who ever had non-aggressive contact with Thargoids (???)

[/img]
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, using javascript, you can set any station to spit you out the moment you dock, or even display a 'mission information' warning before spitting you out.

We can put an end to all this Thargoid fraternisation business once and for all! & in 1.74 you can also change 'mission information' to read anything you want...

Bad friendly Thargoids, baad!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)