Thargoid Carrier

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
And the witchpoint won't be their primary target anymore anyway...
Ohhh, a ship big enough and powerful enough that can exit Witchspace right inside the Station's Aegis.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Terroriser frigates aren't hard to kill - usually I can unload my military laser on one and kill it before it overheats.. Maybe you are confusing them with Thargoid Thargon Cruisers, which take forever to kill and shoot two lasers and plasma at you while you try?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I probably am. I mean the frangible one that seems to take absolutely forever to die, weaves around all over the place and just ends up annoying. Its main entity even survives an e-bomb.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, that's the cruiser (or battleship, perhaps?). The frigates are a piece of cake.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

The cruisers are nasty, usually I run from them.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Rimbaud
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Rimbaud »

Does anyone know: is it possible to make the Thargoids send their Thargons out when they are first attacked, through config files, or is this a core code thing? As discussed previously, they wait far too long and are usually blown up as they produce them. The Thargons then go inactive, even if there are other motherships present.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Rimbaud wrote:
Does anyone know: is it possible to make the Thargoids send their Thargons out when they are first attacked, through config files, or is this a core code thing? As discussed previously, they wait far too long and are usually blown up as they produce them. The Thargons then go inactive, even if there are other motherships present.
Try my Second Wave OXP. It adds some variants, including ones that act like that. They appear about 50% of the time roughly.

And if you want to make things a little tougher, exchange the thargoidAI.plist in the trunk AI folder for secondWave_toughThargoidAI.plist from Second Wave (rename thargoidAI.plist to something else, then copy the other one in and rename it to thargoidAI.plist). Then the standard ones will be tougher, including early release of Tharglets.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Rimbaud wrote:
Does anyone know: is it possible to make the Thargoids send their Thargons out when they are first attacked, ..... The Thargons then go inactive, even if there are other motherships present.
No you can't change this. It is mostly hard coded. But other motherships should take over. Maybe you have an old version of thargornThreat.oxp installed. There the thargoids ships are not defined as mother-ship. (the mothership was a new addition in oolite because the old system never worked well.) Version 1.2 of thargornThreat.oxp has this corrected. But the big carrier has not set this for sure because it is never updated.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
But the big carrier has not set this for sure because it is never updated.
Working on it, man. Just give this old fellow here some time.

So what's it that I have to do? Add role 'thargoid-mothership'? Or what?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
Yes, that should be in as role.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The thargletAI periodically scans for that role, if no ship is found with it in range then they go inactive.

Adding the role should allow the carriers to also keep the tharglets launched by other motherships (and themselves) going, as at the moment they won't get recognised.

But it won't make the carrier launch the tharglets any earlier (the other part of Rimbaud's question if I read it right), you need to add some fireMissile commands into suitable places in the attack_ship state in the AI for that.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Yes, that should be in as role.
Okay. Done.

Thanks! :)
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

The Thargoid Carrier has the commodity lists for Gold, Platinum and Gem Stones listed as type 0 for tons, when they really should be type 1 for Kg or type 2 for grams.

Yes, I've even been silly enough to dock with some of them.

Leaving them like this currently can crash the game.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=88684#88684

This issue has been affecting other OXPs as well.

Would you kindly update the commodity.plist file so that this issue can be fixed.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Pah. Not a "please" in sight. Terrible. ;-)

Can't remember who took over the (re)development of the carrier...
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Selezen wrote:
Pah. Not a "please" in sight. Terrible. ;-)
Play through Bio Shock and then revisit the phrase "Would you kindly". That should help to provide some illumination as to how much over and above the request is concerning the word please.