Changing Key mapping

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

An alternative keyconfig.plist with the default BBC key settings can be downloaded from here:
http://svn.berlios.de/viewvc/oolite-lin ... t?view=log

If you have edited the keyconfig.plist and nothing changes, chances are that you have edited it incorrectly, but the above should be what you are after.

On the Windows and Linux ports, the version of the game is visible on the window title bar when in windowed mode. You can also start the game from the command prompt with the -showversion parameter and it should display the version on the rotating Cobra screen. However, if you are running 1.65 the title bar would just have SDL_app on it. In this case, I strongly advise that you update right away to the latest version.

Edit: Updated link with new Berlios url.
Last edited by another_commander on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
An alternative keyconfig.plist with the default BBC key settings can be downloaded from here:
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/oolite-li ... t?view=log

If you have edited the keyconfig.plist and nothing changes, chances are that you have edited it incorrectly, but the above should be what you are after.

On the Windows and Linux ports, the version of the game is visible on the window title bar when in windowed mode. You can also start the game from the command prompt with the -showversion parameter and it should display the version on the rotating Cobra screen. However, if you are running 1.65 the title bar would just have SDL_app on it. In this case, I strongly advise that you update right away to the latest version.
is it really spelled '-shoversion'?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

DaddyHoggy wrote:
another_commander wrote:
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/oolite-li ... t?view=log

is it really spelled '-shoversion'?
Nah, I fixxored it.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

thanks for the link to download the file, thought someone would have it! :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

I would repeat aceshigh's question asked a year ago: can I assign controls to NumPad keys? I scanned tons of sites for this through Google, and did not find anything. Brief summary follows:
1. This link from EliteWiki does not have it.
2. Codes for NumPad keys provided by aegidian himself in the last post of this topic do nothing.
3. Any other codes for these key I was able to find on the Net do not work either.
Can anyone enlighten me on this? Does NumPad work in Oolite at all?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

dmipet wrote:
I would repeat aceshigh's question asked a year ago: can I assign controls to NumPad keys? I scanned tons of sites for this through Google, and did not find anything. Brief summary follows:
1. This link from EliteWiki does not have it.
2. Codes for NumPad keys provided by aegidian himself in the last post of this topic do nothing.
3. Any other codes for these key I was able to find on the Net do not work either.
Can anyone enlighten me on this? Does NumPad work in Oolite at all?
Yes, the numpad works in Oolite, but it mirrors the respective standard keys functionality (i.e. the minus on the numpad is mapped to the same function as the standard minus key. If you remap minus to do something else, then the numpad minus will do that same 'else' thing).

The keys utilized on the numpad are: 2 4 6 8 (roll/pitch), 1 3 (yaw), plus, minus and enter.
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

Thus I cannot do anything to assign *different* functions to NumPad keys and standard keys, correct? E.g. if I assign "0" to "fuel injectors" and "Enter" to "fire laser" it will clear any other function zero key and enter key may have on both Numpad and standard, right?
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

Maybe I could assign mouse controls then? Say, RMB fires laser, MMB enables yaw control while pressed (roll resumes when released), and LMB nullifies roll/yaw/pitch (currently I can't figure how to switch roll/yaw mouse control quickly). Sadly, got no more buttons for fuel injector on mine. Maybe roll the mousewheel to switch it on/off?
You see, I would like to get more flight controls under my right hand, since it is quite free with roll/pitch only; while yaw, injectors, fire, target ID, and missiles (target them + scroll through them + scroll through targets + fire them + put them on safety when it's all over) all have to be controlled with my left hand, and the keys for all these are rather well spread.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Sorry, mouse buttons are not mappable.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

dmipet wrote:
Maybe I could assign mouse controls then? Say, RMB fires laser, MMB enables yaw control while pressed (roll resumes when released), and LMB nullifies roll/yaw/pitch (currently I can't figure how to switch roll/yaw mouse control quickly). Sadly, got no more buttons for fuel injector on mine. Maybe roll the mousewheel to switch it on/off?
You see, I would like to get more flight controls under my right hand, since it is quite free with roll/pitch only; while yaw, injectors, fire, target ID, and missiles (target them + scroll through them + scroll through targets + fire them + put them on safety when it's all over) all have to be controlled with my left hand, and the keys for all these are rather well spread.
You could always get a Nostromo keypad. 8)
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

Short and simple. Thanks for help nevertheless.
Well, I hope they will become mappable in some future versions then. :-)

----EDIT----

Thanks for idea, Diziet Sma, I might consider bying this Nostromo Keypad when I got some money to spare. I wonder if they ship these to Ukraine :-)
mrbadexample
Average
Average

Post by mrbadexample »

Morning all.

Shiny new commander here - just discovered Oolite. If it's as good as I hope, I'll be made up.

Trouble is, I'll get no joy unless I can redefine the keys to the "normal" settings. I've read this thread, but am still lost. :oops:

I have found, but can't open, the keyconfig.plist file. The link to the BBC settings doesn't work.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me, with nice simple instructions using little words, exactly what I need to do? I'd be so grateful that when I see you in space, I probably won't even shoot you very much. :twisted:

Cheers,
MBE
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, mrbadexample, and first of all welcome to the boards, and of course to this great game! :D

The keyconfig.plist file can be opened and edited with Wordpad. Note: don't use Notepad, because it may insert invisible hidden characters when you save again, which will make the file useless. There is, however, a freeware program called Notepad++ available through the interwebs, which can be safely used and may be more comfortable than Wordpad.

You are advised not to edit the keyconfig.plist (or any plist, for that matter) which you found inside the Oolite.app. It is better to save a copy of that file in your AddOns-folder, or better still in a folder named "Config" inside your AddOns-folder (if it doesn't exist, you may create it). Then edit this copy. This way, if you somehow messed up the editing, you haven't destroyed the original, but only a copy.

Information on how to edit the keyconfig.plist can also be found in the Elite Wiki, on the page Oolite Keyboard Controls.
mrbadexample
Average
Average

Post by mrbadexample »

Commander McLane, thank you. You're a gentleman and a scholar. Even so, keep those shields up, eh? :wink:

Edit: is there a working link to the BBC settings? The one in the Wiki thingy doesn't work for me either. :(
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

http://svn.berlios.de/viewvc/oolite-lin ... t?view=log

Berlios changed their Web SVN URLs sometime ago. The link above will take you to the page where you can download the BBC keyconfig file from.