Planetfall OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Nice!

Now do one that rotates with the planet. ;-)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

:shock:

:D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
Nice!

Now do one that rotates with the planet. ;-)
The planets' rotation, combined with System Redux, is enough of a pain in the neck even without additional features like landing strips. :x
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

An oxp consisting of a planetinfo.plist consisting of:

Code: Select all

<key>universal</key>
   <dict>
      <key>rotational_velocity</key>
      <string>0.0</string>
   </dict>
:idea:

... should solve the problem, yes :?:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

No, it would only (maybe) bypass it.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

How so? This command should stop all planets in the Ooniverse from rotating - shouldn´t it?

@Ahruman: Notice the correct apostrophe?
Last edited by Lestradae on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: ..

Post by JensAyton »

Lestradae wrote:
How so? This command should stop all planets in the Ooniverse from rotating - shouldn´t it?

@Ahruman: Notice the correct apostrophe?
Since you ask, that’s an acute accent, not an apostrophe. :-)

Stopping all planets from rotating would be a bit drastic. Frying or freezing the entire population of the ooniverse just to make landing easier…

(Incidentally, I don’t actually think a rotating landing strip would be a good idea without an atmospheric flight model.)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

:oops:

'''''''''' ''''''''''
'''''''''' ''''''''''
'''''''''' ''''''''''
'''''''''' ''''''''''
'''''''''' ''''''''''

Better?

EDIT - PS:
Ahruman wrote:
(Incidentally, I don’t actually think a rotating landing strip would be a good idea without an atmospheric flight model.)
Why, have you something in mind for 1.73? :twisted:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Why do I suddenly feel the overwhelming urge to rename this add-on Pandora's Box.OXP? :lol:

Will try and look at the landing strip later on, as I can't access Box.Net from work to get it. Also will grab system redux.oxp, as I think the planetary textures there may look odd with planetary entities (ditto for the ones in Famous Planets).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Now do one that rotates with the planet.
Letting the strip rotate would be possible. Just redefine the axis so the z-axis lies horizontal in the rotation direction. Than give it the right speed to match the rotation. And initialise a timer that realigns the strip to the surface every minute or so.
Incidentally, I don’t actually think a rotating landing strip would be a good idea without an atmospheric flight model.
Yes, in real life a ship would feel the air on entering. The friction part is currently in, but the air is not rotating itself. It should push the ship into the rotational direction until a level that the strip is not moving relative to the player.
On earth the equator moves 42.000.000 meter per 24 hours. That is 486 m/sec. (Whow, when cycling to the east I should manage to cycle faster than 500 m/sec by just human power). In the current status you burn up very soon when flying at that speed through the Oolite atmosphere while it should be safe when flying at that speed in rotational direction and you should burn up when standing still.
Baza
Competent
Competent

planetfall

Post by Baza »

Would not it be simpler to do some sort of animated sequence a la freelancer?
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

I was thinking the same. maybe a cockpit view, so the style of ship doesn't matter.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If you can show how to do it in an OXP then I'll gladly add it in ;)

ie I don't think it's possible to do

I've done some testing on the landing strip version and have some things I need to discuss with Eric. I think there are some things that work there, some that don't, and some that have triggered another idea or two on how to do this...
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Any new developments on the surface? :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

pagroove wrote:
Any new developments on the surface? :D
Just a warning for the few that downloaded my variation with a landing strip. It was just a quick hack to show an other way for landing. I copied the tower from a UPC-courier.oxp mission and thargoid just mailed me I have left some ups code in the tower script. When the tower gets killed it tries to sets a variable from ups. This will be harmless when you are not in that particular mission were I use the towers, but anyway it should not have happened.

My variation that's now on the box is safe. But thargoid hasn't sat still. I understood from him, that he is improving the stuff so you can land on any planet or moon. Also the point of landing will be closer to the surface. The handler that signals you are close to the surface fires at 500 meter height. Without a reference it feels already on the surface, but when landing near an object that is put on the surface you'll notice the height. Thargoid showed me a wip version that lands at an even lower height. This way, really big ships won't be able to land, what is a good thing in my opinion. And it will look better when landing near structures.

It is just open yet if there will be a strip in it, or that it is up to a mission oxp to add the strip himself and only offer the mission when landed near the strip (or any other object).

Lets see how this excellent landing concept will develop in time.