Planetfall OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Planetfall OXP

Post by Greyth »

Oh! :oops: Thanks for clarifying that. 8) Any idea why my self repair system seems unable to repair it :?:
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

grep RepairBotChance .Oolite/AddOns/PlanetFall\ 1.41.oxp/Config/equipment.plist:

Code: Select all

script_info = { thargoidRepairBotChance = 0; };
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Thanks fronclynne - that explains everything, even to me! :shock: Next time I shall be empirical and look. :oops:
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Spot on in both cases. The capability was envisaged not just as hardware equipment (ship mods etc) but also licenses and permits etc. Those would expire after a while, and of course wouldn't be fixable by repair systems etc.

As noted, everything you report is deliberate and by design.
mr_homn
Competent
Competent

Post by mr_homn »

Brand new to Oolite, haven't tried Planetfall yet, but it sounds amazing.

Question: Is there something specific I need to outfit my ship with so I can land on planets? I keep being told I will be destroyed if I try to land. Cobra mk IIIs can land on planets, yes? The readme/wiki doesn't go into much detail

Also, is there a video or screenshots ANYWHERE of what it looks like to land on planets? I can't seem to find any except this which is clearly some kind of dock screen: http://media.photobucket.com/image/plan ... d/Diso.jpg
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

mr_homn wrote:

Question: Is there something specific I need to outfit my ship with so I can land on planets? I keep being told I will be destroyed if I try to land. Cobra mk IIIs can land on planets, yes? The readme/wiki doesn't go into much detail

Also, is there a video or screenshots ANYWHERE of what it looks like to land on planets? I can't seem to find any except this which is clearly some kind of dock screen: http://media.photobucket.com/image/plan ... d/Diso.jpg
You need the Planetary Landing Capability but you need a Docking Computer and Heat Shield first. You are not really landing you just approach the surface at an angle and eventually you will dock. There is no landing on the surface like in Frontier. That image is just a background image shown whilst you are docked at the planet.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
mr_homn
Competent
Competent

Post by mr_homn »

PhantorGorth wrote:
mr_homn wrote:

You need the Planetary Landing Capability but you need a Docking Computer and Heat Shield first. You are not really landing you just approach the surface at an angle and eventually you will dock. There is no landing on the surface like in Frontier. That image is just a background image shown whilst you are docked at the planet.

Okay, thanks for the clear answers. Very much appreciated. I don't have a docking computer, heat shield, or landing capability yet, so it looks like it'll be a while! I DID however just buy a large cargo bay! Woohoo!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

What the penguin said. You are right though, the readme isn't as clear as it might be - I'll update that soon as I have some tweaks and adjustments ongoing on that OXP that I need to test but then should be OK to go. Nothing much from the player side, but should help with compatibility and manipulation via other OXPs.

But as noted, once you have the required items, you can then just fly (slowly) towards the planet, and rather than going splat you should just dock instead. But there is currently nothing more fancy than that, as doing so would be complicated and beyond an OXP scope (except perhaps extended background screens).

But any ship which can have heat shields and dock comps can get landing capability.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, I just updated the OXP to v1.50.

Modifications are the documentation, plus some additional capabilities for collaboration and control/compatibility with other OXPs. The basic scripting and operation remains the same though, so update is only needed if other OXPs begin to use the newly offered controls.

Downloads are via the links below, as normal.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

After a quite successful collaboration with Svengali on a new little effect, I can release an early preview beta of Planetfall for Oolite 1.77.

To download it, click here. Note that this version requires an up-to-date trunk 1.77, and
will not work on the current 1.76.1 release.
superbatprime
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by superbatprime »

mr_homn wrote:

Okay, thanks for the clear answers. Very much appreciated. I don't have a docking computer, heat shield, or landing capability yet, so it looks like it'll be a while! I DID however just buy a large cargo bay! Woohoo!
What makes planetfall awesome is the framework it provides for other oxp stuff to happen planetside.
Feudal states is really really fleshed out well in conjunction with Planetfall, I can't recommend it enough.
So then I says to him, I says "naw dude, Oolite ain't no Space Opera... Oolite is Space Rock and Roll!"
Hotblack's-stuntship
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hotblack's-stuntship »

Ok, after having some difficulty finding this thread then catching up on it... (this forum is huge).

I had a passenger that wanted to go to Lessti Minor but when I got there the mission didn't end. Also when I reloaded using save anywhere the planet changed it's name to "Shipyard".

I assume this must be the save anywhere bug? I just saved a special file in case you wanted to take a look at it.

I'm currently using an orbital shuttle (absolutely no weapons) and this is one of the few ways to make money. I'm on team TAF! :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Planetfall should work around Save Anywhere, so it may be a glitch in either. However I'm in the process of re-doing PF Taxi for the 1.77 release so I'd like to hang on to sorting out this one until I can get that completed.

But thanks for the heads-up anyway, and hope it doesn't spoil your money-making too much.
Hotblack's-stuntship
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Hotblack's-stuntship »

OK. Great mod.

So I guess I have a permanent passenger who never complains huh? :)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Depends how bad it's gone. Normally if you system-jump they should complain and then jump-ship at the next opportunity.

If not then you've got a permanent house-guest, but at least they don't take up space.