Trek HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Oh, and one more thing: You don't seem to have fuel scoops (your screenshot), so you probably forgot them? On LB's screenshot their icon is clearly visible in the grey frame. And without the frame, it is just above the hud. Would be better to put it in one of the unused spaces of the background picture (e.g. top left or top right).

And (just throwing around ideas here, sorry) as nice as the scanner background picture is, its details are also possibly a little distracting from the blips. Could you darken it a bit?
barabis
Above Average
Above Average

Post by barabis »

yeah i had noticed that icon floating around, was wondering what it was lol
As soon as I get feedback on the technical question I asked earlier in the thread ill get another release ready with a few changes.

Thanks for the feedback :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

barabis wrote:
My preferred solution is to give any ship with 7 energy bars its own custom hud.plist with tweaked settings a slightly modified background image. I have managed to achieve this by including a modified shipdata.plist in the config directory within the OXP. The modified file includes a new "ship-player" object for the affected ship which points to the modified hud.plist file.
I am not sure whether I understand you correctly here. Basically that seems to mean that every user with more than four (or six?) energy bars would have to modify his own shipdata.plist, right?

As many other hud-OXPs require fiddling with your shipdata anyway, I think it's okay. Although I would prefer the player to modify his own shipdata entry rather than to use a pointer.

So: make it a two-in-one OXP. Include one HUD that fits for (let's say) 1-4 energy bars, and another one for 5-8 energy bars. Name them differently (hud4.plist using hud4.png, and hud8.plist using hud8.png; or whatever). In the readMe tell the player that he has to open the shipdata.plist of his current ship and modify the <key>hud</key> to either hud4.plist or hud8.plist.

This is what Aegidian instructed if you want to activate the smallhud.plist instead of the usual hud.plist, so it is no new method.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

barabis wrote:
I'm hoping to persuade him to create some more designs at some point but for now I'm just happy he gave me permission to use an existing design :)
Interesting, It's what I'd call a hewn design. Take some regular shapes (in this case 3 soft edge squares and cut the nessessary stats shapes out of it. This gives you one clean contained area that can encompass many odd shaped stats seamlessly. Shouldn't be that hard to replicate given a reasonable number of examples.
barabis
Above Average
Above Average

Post by barabis »

Commander McLane wrote:
barabis wrote:
My preferred solution is to give any ship with 7 energy bars its own custom hud.plist with tweaked settings a slightly modified background image. I have managed to achieve this by including a modified shipdata.plist in the config directory within the OXP. The modified file includes a new "ship-player" object for the affected ship which points to the modified hud.plist file.
I am not sure whether I understand you correctly here. Basically that seems to mean that every user with more than four (or six?) energy bars would have to modify his own shipdata.plist, right?

As many other hud-OXPs require fiddling with your shipdata anyway, I think it's okay. Although I would prefer the player to modify his own shipdata entry rather than to use a pointer.

So: make it a two-in-one OXP. Include one HUD that fits for (let's say) 1-4 energy bars, and another one for 5-8 energy bars. Name them differently (hud4.plist using hud4.png, and hud8.plist using hud8.png; or whatever). In the readMe tell the player that he has to open the shipdata.plist of his current ship and modify the <key>hud</key> to either hud4.plist or hud8.plist.

This is what Aegidian instructed if you want to activate the smallhud.plist instead of the usual hud.plist, so it is no new method.
The way I;ve done it is to include a custom shipdata.plist in the oxp config folder that overrides the original much the way that hud.plist overides the one in game config folder. Within the new shipdata.plist I would include just the ships that have 7 or more energy bars. I'm just not sure whether this may cause problems.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Just a note. Player ship can have maximum of 16 missiles, and I think same number of energy banks. I think it should be optimalized to that.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

That is a seriously nice hud. Well done matey.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

barabis wrote:
The way I;ve done it is to include a custom shipdata.plist in the oxp config folder that overrides the original much the way that hud.plist overides the one in game config folder. Within the new shipdata.plist I would include just the ships that have 7 or more energy bars. I'm just not sure whether this may cause problems.
Yes, there is a problem with that. You would have to include all possible ships from all OXPs. Including those OXPs whose names follow in the alphabet after 'trekhud'. OXPs are read by the engine in alphabetic order, so anything that follows your letter will override your shipdata.plist again.

Especially this will render your HUD useless for everybody who has Realistic Shipyards installed, because the purpose of this OXP is to change all the shipdata of every single player ship by making sure that it is the very last OXP to be read. So it will reverse any changes you have made before in your OXP. The only way to reconcile the two OXPs would be to make the trekhud the standard for all ships in RS anyway. It's up to Lestradae if he would want that. And it should be up to the players as well, shouldn't it?

By the way, I discovered something else with your HUD: For some reason it changes the size of the system font. With trekhud installed, the display of the framerate becomes much bigger, and I think also screenmessages, and even the target info next to the reticle. Is this a planned feature, or a bug?
barabis
Above Average
Above Average

Post by barabis »

Commander McLane wrote:
barabis wrote:
Yes, there is a problem with that. You would have to include all possible ships from all OXPs. Including those OXPs whose names follow in the alphabet after 'trekhud'. OXPs are read by the engine in alphabetic order, so anything that follows your letter will override your shipdata.plist again.

Especially this will render your HUD useless for everybody who has Realistic Shipyards installed, because the purpose of this OXP is to change all the shipdata of every single player ship by making sure that it is the very last OXP to be read. So it will reverse any changes you have made before in your OXP. The only way to reconcile the two OXPs would be to make the trekhud the standard for all ships in RS anyway. It's up to Lestradae if he would want that. And it should be up to the players as well, shouldn't it?

By the way, I discovered something else with your HUD: For some reason it changes the size of the system font. With trekhud installed, the display of the framerate becomes much bigger, and I think also screenmessages, and even the target info next to the reticle. Is this a planned feature, or a bug?
thats a bug, ill add it to my list of things to do :)
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Trek HUD

Post by psuamier »

Hi,

I know it's an old thread, but did the HUD ever occur an update ?

It looks great to me, only a bit small, at least for my small screen. No problem on the larger one. Maybe an alternative wider layout is possible for netbook or similar smaller screens.

Regards
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Trek HUD

Post by Cholmondely »

Wiki page now up: Trek HUD

I've not put Palmski's variant up because the download link is broken.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?