Achenar Empire OXP?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I'll post some screenshots.
I think it might have something to do with trident down because it happened while I was hunting down the alkrab....
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I can confirm that in the script of Anarchies 1.0 I simply forgot to put a check for interstellar space, before the various stations are created. I can't believe that happened to me! :oops:

Perhaps (lame attempt to defend himself) I somehow thought that the other conditions (government-type and techlevel) would be sufficient? Nah, because they wouldn't. So it simply slipped through my attention.

So it is perfectly possible that Salvage Gangs, Hacker Henchmen (and thus Hacker Outposts as well), Sentinel Stations or Renegade Stations could appear in interstellar space, where they have no business at all.

Anyway, this will end with Anarchies 1.1. As I said earlier, the only thing left before its release is revisiting commodities.plist. It's not a real fun thing to do, so give me a couple of days till I overcome my disinclination.

EDIT: typo fixed
Last edited by Commander McLane on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Commander McLane wrote:
Anyway, this will end will Anarchies 1.1.
Not 'international day of talking like a pirate' again, is it?

Arrr, this will end it will, you can be sure o' that... :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Maybe there's some way I could force this to happen?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If you put:-

Code: Select all

<string>planet_number equal -1</string>
as a condition then your Station will always appear in witchspace and never in normal space.[/code]
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

If i launch from it will it still be in witchspace?
Also, I've found out you can use your docking computers on a thargoid carrier.... maybe there are some missions that could come out of this?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You can use your docking computer on everything that is dockable, of course (the engine doesn't know the difference between GalCop and Thargoids, you know).

But as this especially with Thargoid Carriers doesn't make real sense, in the upcoming next version of thargoidcarrier.oxp the carrier will have another way of refusing to let you dock.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Commander McLane wrote:
in the upcoming next version of thargoidcarrier.oxp the carrier will have another way of refusing to let you dock.
:shock: :? :!: :D :D :D :D
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

What will it be?

What time is oolite relative to the formation of Galcop and the empire? as in what time is oolite/elite set in if the CMKIII is launched in 3100? What time is frontier set in? I see on EYWTKATICAWATA that a courier successor was announced "on its way" in 3300. I think this might make a great storyline (galcop trying to prevent the release of the courier mk. II as they would be unable to stop it) But oolite is before that, right?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I`m now pretty sure that I won`t do a missions storyline about Achenar and the empire.

Reason: If I compare Selezen`s timeline which attempts to knot together the completely contradicting stories of Elite and Frontier/FFE, with my attempt to tell a good and interesting story, I find no middle ground.

Either I tell a good story, but have to de facto tell a as good as new story loosely based on the Elite -> Frontier transition, then people who have Oolite canon as, well, canon, there will be an outcry of foul play :wink:

Or I attempt to create a story that somehow fits in with all the nooks and crannies of Selezen`s cunning ideas of how to fit the unfittable together - then it`s, imho, not much of a story. But part of the fun would be to tell an untold story that was already there implicitly.

So I think I will not do it, else the whole Frontier bla debate breaks out again. So if anyone wants to try their hand at this, just do.

:?

L
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I think I might be able to patch together a fairly decent storyline. That is, if it makes sense that a ship could have been held secretly by the empire for 158 years before being announced.... unless there is some other major broken part of the story line. Perhaps GalCop has some nasty people running it at heart and they have illegalized all mention of the Empire. When the player receives various spying missions against the empire, in a little while, the player actually aligns himself with some imperial forces because of the depth of corruption in GalCop - there could be some "cleansing" of the GalCop government?

If you don't think you can make a storyline for this OXP, could you tell me what your original idea was, Lestradae? Thank you!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hey wackyman465!
wackyman465 wrote:
If you don't think you can make a storyline for this OXP, could you tell me what your original idea was, Lestradae? Thank you!
Well, that was not the problem. The problem was that there is no way to construct a storyline that will fit into the data already established by the three Elite`s.

Only way imo would be to rewrite so much that Selezen`s timeline work would basically be thrown to the winds and Oolite become a half-Frontier clone, and I am pretty sure I don`t want to create something like that :(

Too many people would be annoyed, and those not annoyed wouldn`t understand the significance of the storyline.

You couldn`t do anything with my story because of that. It´s dead, Jim.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Sorry if this seems pushy, but would my idea fit in the timeline?

And who's Jim?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

No, doesn`t seem pushy to me 8)

I suggest you contact Selezen if you want to know if something fits into the timeline or not - he has made a science out of it :wink:

And Jim ... is Jim Kirk. It`s a running gag between my girlfriend and myself, because in a lot of the classic Star Trek episodes McCoy would look up from the body of a crewman or *insert expendable actor here* without a name, frown sorrowfully at Kirk and say "He`s dead, Jim" in exactly the same intonation.

Five seconds into the scene and into eternity from there, the unnamed victim of circumstance would never be mentioned again. The humor.

Where was I? Got off-topic somehow.

:?

L
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

I never really watched any star trek. :D