ArcElite ships oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

dragdasan
Average
Average

Re: ArcElite ships oxp

Post by dragdasan »

Yes, it was named griff_arcelite.oxp . I omitted by accident the .oxp extension when writing the dir path . Thanks.

I have also installed a bunch of other addons . Could this be an issue ? Conflicts and such ?

Wanted to mention that i have installed System_Redux addon and i have modified it's textures - a single color per texture so the planets and moons look in line with ArcElite theme . (see my previos screenshot) . But it seems that the planet view accesed with F7 does not always load it's texture from those of System Redux. :?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

dragdasan wrote:
I copied the two files to my /opt/Oolite-trunk/AddOns/griff_arcelite.oxp/Config dir . But still i don't see them nor any new category in Ship Library .
Oolite keeps a cache of OXP data, and only refreshes this if it thinks the installed OXPs have changed - either because one has been added or removed, or because the timestamp on one of the folders has changed.

If you just change a file inside an OXP this doesn't get noticed, so it carries on using the cached version. If you hold down the Shift key while restarting Oolite (keep it held down until the Cobra appears) that will get it to clear and recreate the cache, which should pick up the new file.
dragdasan
Average
Average

Post by dragdasan »

If you hold down the Shift key while restarting Oolite (keep it held down until the Cobra appears) that will get it to clear and recreate the cache, which should pick up the new file.
Yes cim, that was it ! :) Thanks for all the info .

Oolite has grown so much.
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

I don't seem to be able to download this oxp from the box account; is the file down or just at a monthly data-cap?
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yeah, Griff seems to have a problem with his Box - set some flag or something.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Sorry about the box problem, I think it's gone over it's limit for this month for some reason, the arcelite oxp is in Gimi's 'griff overload' folder https://app.box.com/s/s3j75ezg9kaqwjbuw81d so you can grab it from there, i'll make a start over the next few days putting the oxp's over at my box.com page into the oolite oxz manager
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Thanks for the prompt reply, Griff. I've nabbed the file and had a look, and, my-oh-my, but this is a lovely little hidden gem of an OXP. Where do I even begin?

I never had the chance or the equipment to play the original ArcElite back in the day (My first version was an IBM clone.), so getting to see this is a treat. As others have noted, there's something strange and beautiful about the simple shapes in these iridescent colors, adrift in the stars, faceted jewels. I particularly enjoy how many of the ships seldom seen in Oolite make their appearance, the hunched little Bug, the popinjay Racer, the lean Moccasin. I have to admit my original motivation for wanting this was to see about using these ship models in an expanded 'Oldships' oxp I've been dreaming of (simple shapes and light textures to match the original, depreciated Aegidian models); but having seen them in their native environment, I'm enjoying the show. Not to mention, the frame-rate using this oxp is a remarkable boost to my old laptop! I'm getting over double my average frame-rate with this taking the place of the usual shipsets.

Definitely will be hanging onto this for some relaxing Oolite Zen, the play of color and light and geometry.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Griff wrote:
Sorry about the box problem, I think it's gone over it's limit for this month for some reason, the arcelite oxp is in Gimi's 'griff overload' folder https://app.box.com/s/s3j75ezg9kaqwjbuw81d so you can grab it from there, i'll make a start over the next few days putting the oxp's over at my box.com page into the oolite oxz manager
You mean you're putting the individual ships to the manager? That would be great news. Are you going to do an all-in-one package? Or just individual packages and some meta-package to bind them together?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spara wrote:
Or just individual packages and some meta-package to bind them together?
That would be the better way to go.. as Griff's ships generally tend to be updated on an individual as-needed basis. A meta-package would save a lot of time and download bandwidth, compared to rebuilding an all-in-one every time something was patched.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I'm going to upload individual oxz's for each ship and try and sort out a meta oxz that can act as a sort of bundle installer for them all - anybody have any pointers how to write one of these?
To be honest the bundles are a bit of a pain, I had an hour upload the other day just to fix the missing semicolon in the station bundle :lol: curse you rock hermit tunnel!!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
I'm going to upload individual oxz's for each ship and try and sort out a meta oxz that can act as a sort of bundle installer for them all - anybody have any pointers how to write one of these?
If I recall correctly, they're just an OXZ that contains nothing but a manifest.plist, in which every OXZ in the bundle is listed as a required dependency.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Griff wrote:
how to write one of these?
Like the last example here: requires_oxps
Only the identifier tag is required.
Absynthe
Poor
Poor

Post by Absynthe »

Don't know if this thread is still active, or if this OXP is being worked on, but...
Bugs that I have found:
Boa occasionally does not draw correctly, using the vanilla model.
Asp (I and II, I believe) Cannot fit fuel scoops. (Also, the Asp is upside-down. I know it's an Oolite thing, but it just looks wrong)
NPCs carry a lot less cargo than expected. (Looked at the Config, 7 usual cargo in an Anaconda. 7 of the 750 coded space for an NPC. That's ridiculous for a Pirate like me...)
Shaders are odd, on approach to station, a ship model goes completely black. The red-flashing thrusters are still visible though.
The occasional vanilla cargo pod pops up among wreckage.

Incompatibilities:
Incompatible with New Lasers by Redspear (Possible to fix, but a pain to make compatible by playing with configs.)
Spicy Hermits (Uses Vanilla hermit texture)

Arrrgh, mateys. Let's send them to Jameson's Locker.
That's a very nice Freighter. But I'd prefer the contents, if you please. Arrrgh.