RepairBots OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: RepairBots 2.01 OXP - v1.75 compatible

Post by Thargoid »

It's an interesting idea - one I may come back to once I've got everything fully working and improved with 1.75 (when it's out itself of course). Question would be how one defines a small and a big repair.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Thargoid wrote:
Question would be how one defines a small and a big repair.
You could conceivably tie it to purchase cost. Assuming the price accurately reflects the technological & material cost of production, having x credits worth of equipment consume y percent of the repair systems charge seems reasonable to me.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thargoid wrote:
The 'big' items seem to need several repair attempts before the kit is fixed. How about just basing the refill on total number of attempts made by the system overall.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re:

Post by Zireael »

Thargoid wrote:
The repair bots are single-use devices - they try and repair something but don't always succeed (depends on what the item is). Whether they do or don't, they are used up, but you can use a second (or third, fourth etc) set to try again or try on another piece of equipment if required.

The repair system is an evolution of the bots, and is basically an infinite supply of bots rather than discrete cannisters of them on pylons. If the system fails on something or if there is still stuff left to repair, it will keep on trying until the ship is fully repaired and operational.
Is this system a part of Repair Bots 2.01 OXP?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The inclusion of the system was part of the update from 1.21 to 2.00.

2.00 to 2.01 was just to open up the usage for Oolite v1.75, now that I have a nightly that's close enough to a release version to be able to test properly. And also for Ahruman's request not to use max_version for general OXPs.

The system is based on the DCN for the Caduceus, which in turn was based on the repair bots. When I re-wrote the Repair Bots themselves from 1.21 to 2.00 to be able to repair anything, I also re-wrote the DCN for ClymAngus. But as I was about it I thought it something worthy of releasing for any ship, hence built it back into the main OXP.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Smivs wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
The 'big' items seem to need several repair attempts before the kit is fixed. How about just basing the refill on total number of attempts made by the system overall.
Not every item has a 100% change of being fixed. The OXP (and the equipment.plist set-up thanks to Ahruman) is configured to allow the percentage chance of repair to be set up individually for any item of equipment. So I guess those are your big items in question.

Something could be done either by cost, tech level or percentage chance. But as I said that is something for the back-burner for the moment but maybe in the future.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

No great hurry, I just thought it would be a nice feature to add sometime, if possible.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Thargoid wrote:
The inclusion of the system was part of the update from 1.21 to 2.00.

2.00 to 2.01 was just to open up the usage for Oolite v1.75, now that I have a nightly that's close enough to a release version to be able to test properly. And also for Ahruman's request not to use max_version for general OXPs.

The system is based on the DCN for the Caduceus, which in turn was based on the repair bots. When I re-wrote the Repair Bots themselves from 1.21 to 2.00 to be able to repair anything, I also re-wrote the DCN for ClymAngus. But as I was about it I thought it something worthy of releasing for any ship, hence built it back into the main OXP.
I never saw this system. Bots, yes, but not the system. Is it only available from high TL?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

TL11 and above.

But also you won't see it if you're flying a Caduceus, as it's incompatible with the DCN.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I hacked earlier versions than v2.01 of RepairBots to cost 100,000 credits and only available at TL 14. (It's sometimes possible at TL 13 I believe due to the way the game works.)
I would've made it TL 15, but it's just too hard to get to a TL 15 system...TL 14 systems are rare enough.
I don't feel very guilty about it that way...though I do think it would be funny to use in conjunction with Anarchies OXP -- buying salvaged equipment from the Salvage Gang would make up for its immense cost. It would even give you a way to get a naval energy unit without doing missions.
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Recently i was in a fight with about 8 ships, and had no choice but to inject away.
1 followed me and i was able to take them out, but had 5 equipment items damaged when space was green.
As i have the repair system installed, i waited for the repairs to finish and then head back to see if i could take out the others.
I had to wait more then 15 minutes.

So i looked in the code, and found this :

Code: Select all

var repairTime = 120 + Math.ceil(Math.random() * 180);
that means repairtime is between 2 and 5 minutes, with an expected mean of 3:30 minutes.

There are oxps out there (Galactiv Navy, Thargopid Plans, Cataclysm to name a few) where fights involve dozens of ships.
I asked myself : would the Navy or Police accept these repair times ?
i wouldn't if i were commanding them.

Any chance you will add a Naval version of repairsystem ?

options :
- 2x as fast, repairtimes between 1 minute and 2:30 .
Cost 4 times original

- 4x as fast, repairtime between 0:30 and 1:15
cost 16 times of original
(this one seems a bit to ueber).

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Recently i was in a fight with about 8 ships, and had no choice but to inject away.
1 followed me and i was able to take them out, but had 5 equipment items damaged when space was green.
As i have the repair system installed, i waited for the repairs to finish and then head back to see if i could take out the others.
I had to wait more then 15 minutes.

So i looked in the code, and found this :

Code: Select all

var repairTime = 120 + Math.ceil(Math.random() * 180);
that means repairtime is between 2 and 5 minutes, with an expected mean of 3:30 minutes.

There are oxps out there (Galactiv Navy, Thargopid Plans, Cataclysm to name a few) where fights involve dozens of ships.
I asked myself : would the Navy or Police accept these repair times ?
i wouldn't if i were commanding them.

Any chance you will add a Naval version of repairsystem ?

options :
- 2x as fast, repairtimes between 1 minute and 2:30 .
Cost 4 times original

- 4x as fast, repairtime between 0:30 and 1:15
cost 16 times of original
(this one seems a bit to ueber).
Naval version, twice as fast and 4x as pricey seems reasonable...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

An interesting concept, one for the list methinks.

The delay is there simply to try and keep the 'bots from unbalancing things too much. After all if you're in a big rush, you can always dock with something suitable and pay for repairs instantly. Presuming somewhere of a suitable tech level is to hand of course.

I'll give it some thought though certainly.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

All hail Thargoids Repair system. After two failed attempts it repaired my damaged Naval EU and quickly repaired external heat shielding. I assume therefore it has more than paid for initial investment. I was amazed that it went to work immediately without activating the pylon bots. Ta Thargoid!
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

That's right, Thargoids repair system repaired itself. Got damaged in a fire fight and I thought, "Oh Frack"! But on docking it showed functional on the F5 screen. Fantastic piece of equipment.