RepairBots OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

JeffBTX wrote:
In all other SpaceSims that I have played that featured something like this, the repair system would NEVER fail. In some games and with some equipment it would vary as to repair time, amount of damage, etc., but it ALWAYS worked.
Like the other guys already hinted, I think there is perhaps a small misunderstanding here. The "failure" rate actually just translates into a varied repair time. It is just the scripting device which Thargoid used in order to achieve a varied repair time.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

You could have your ship stopped near the main station at TAF = 16x for about 10 real time minutes and probably repair everything a few times over. :P
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Smivs wrote:
Sometimes the repair fails but it tries again and keep on trying untill it's fixed.
AH.... Ok.... yes, a big misunderstanding on my part.

I thought that if the Repair System / or / Bots "failed" on a higher TL device, then that was that for that piece of equipment, until you docked.

I didn't realize that the repair devices would keep trying.

In any case, I am still tweaking it... and in the final tweaked version, things will NOT be ramped back by MUCH... just a little.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The repair bots are single-use devices - they try and repair something but don't always succeed (depends on what the item is). Whether they do or don't, they are used up, but you can use a second (or third, fourth etc) set to try again or try on another piece of equipment if required.

The repair system is an evolution of the bots, and is basically an infinite supply of bots rather than discrete cannisters of them on pylons. If the system fails on something or if there is still stuff left to repair, it will keep on trying until the ship is fully repaired and operational.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Question: Will the repair bots/repair system also perform standard maintenance on your ship and keep it in good condition?
If not, why not? (Seems easier to maintain something functioning than to fix something which got smashed to bits by an errant laser blast..)
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Currently, I don't believe it does.
Maybe it only works on the inside...something about runaway nanobots attacking everything "non-ship" in sight probably violates a few pet leash laws. :oops:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Micha wrote:
Question: Will the repair bots/repair system also perform standard maintenance on your ship and keep it in good condition?
If not, why not? (Seems easier to maintain something functioning than to fix something which got smashed to bits by an errant laser blast..)
Currently no, because you dev type peoples haven't (to my knowledge) exposed the standard maintenance counters etc to JS script.

If you can do that then the 'bots will gladly take on the role ;)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
Currently no, because you dev type peoples haven't (to my knowledge) exposed the standard maintenance counters etc to JS script.

If you can do that then the 'bots will gladly take on the role ;)
What did happen in trunk is that the maintenance counter is now used to influence the chance of breakdown itself. So a badly maintained ship will have a 20% higher chance of damage. Before it only influenced malfunction during system jumps. I think that this change better justifies the price tag for proper maintenance.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Will that mean a chance of failures at random times or when launching from station/s?
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Malfunctions (currently) only affect witchjumps, where they can manifest in a number of different results.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Namttep
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Namttep »

Yeah Sweet Oxp, Thanks Tharg
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: RepairBots 2.00 OXP - v1.74 + new equipment/operation

Post by Gimi »

There seems to be a version confusion with repair bots.
I have version 2.00 in my OXP store. The Wiki states version 2.01, but links to version 1.21. The last version in Thargoids BOX is version 1.21.
However, inside the version 1.21 zip file, the oxp is given as version 2.01.

Thargoid, would you care to elaborate please.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Version 2.01 is the current one, as of around an hour ago when I updated everything.

The zip file name was wrong, but did contain the correct version. I have now corrected that - thanks for the notification.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thargoid wrote:
Version 2.01 is the current one, as of around an hour ago when I updated everything.

The zip file name was wrong, but did contain the correct version. I have now corrected that - thanks for the notification.
Thank you, I suspected as much.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: RepairBots 2.01 OXP - v1.75 compatible

Post by Smivs »

Thargoid, I have used your repairbots for a while now, well actually the self-repair system, and wouldn't want to be without it. It's the only way I can get my (un-official) NEU and cloak fixed.
However, as I now live in an Ooniverse that resembles Armageddon it's been getting plenty of use, and despite the astronomical purchase price, it must have paid for itself several times over.
My point is, to avoid me feeling as though I'm cheating a bit, had you considered adding a feature whereby after so many repairs, a 'refill' or 'recharge' is necessary. For example after 25 repairs have been made (or better still 50 'small' fixes or ten 'big' fixes), a top-up is needed, say costing another 10 000Cr.
This would add a nice feature (I think) and would certainly salve my conscience.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.