Energy Equipment OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

One more thought, with v1.72 it'd be very simple to write a variant on this OXP but applying it to the ships shields. Is it something that anyone would be interested in?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Nah. Shields are basically the same as energy. And where is the fun if you are no longer at risk of your energy melting away? :twisted: On top of that it would make the original Energy Equipment superfluous.

So, IMHO, too much of a cheat.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

IF you do that with a shield, I`d vote for some hilariously expensive Military Shield/Booster upgrade that`s only available at TL 15 and has some drawback as well - like, draining the ship`s energy for enhancing the shields even beyond the Military standard one.

And, balance-wise, if players have them, NPCs should have them too.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I was thinking of a pylon-based item which provides 50% + (1-50%) of shield strength (to front, rear, both or most depleted) shield and drains off similar amount from energy.

It was the equivalent of the energy unit (the auto-triggered one) that was making me ponder whether it was worth it or not. But as noted really shields and energy are equivalent in terms of surviving combat, hence the question.

@Lestradae - not possible, NPC's don't have shields remember ;)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thargoid wrote:
@Lestradae - not possible, NPC's don't have shields remember ;)
Yes, I know, but the same way "has shield booster - yes" just raises the energy of a NPC ship, something similar could be done for your equipment item - for a NPC ship with this, just raise the energy level.

Voila - shield simulated! 8)

:idea:

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

As I said I was thinking of this item would boost the shields but drain the energy banks, so for NPCs it would actually be more powerful, as they wouldn't have the latter negative half of the balance...
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thargoid wrote:
As I said I was thinking of this item would boost the shields but drain the energy banks, so for NPCs it would actually be more powerful ...
Yeah, they would, wouldn`t they? :twisted: