Favorite Combat Tactics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Favorite Combat Tactics

Post by Fritz »

I was using a Quickshot II Turbo which wasn't symmetrical. Normally, using the aft laser was only important when fighting Thargoids in witchspace, so changing the setting wasn't necessary very often.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Cmd Northgate
Competent
Competent

Post by Cmd Northgate »

It's also an idea when you are trying to finish off an opponent, to make sure your lasers aren't red hot. Quite good to let the cool off a bit and then go in for the final flurry! Recently I was going in on the final burst, when they overheated, and the opponent speed away never to be seen again.

I've also noticed, that Adders almost always release a missile as their final death act. So now I tend to finish them off at a bit of a distance, so I have time to ECM the missile.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Cmd Northgate wrote:
I've also noticed, that Adders almost always release a missile as their final death act. So now I tend to finish them off at a bit of a distance, so I have time to ECM the missile.
Most ships do this (the Krait is a notable exception). Sometimes I try to provoke them to release their missiles early, or I stop firing at them when they come too close in a head-on exchange of fire. The fight may take a little bit longer, but I can fly a final attack without risking a missile directly in my face.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Fritz wrote:
Most ships do this
List of armed core ships without missile pylons in rot13:
Xenvg, Znzon, Genafcbegre, Fvqrjvaqre.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Adders or generally small ships are especially dangerous, as you overestimate their distance when flying towards them.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

Me, I tend to be the evil good guy acting like a wolf hunting down an injured deer. I find an offender or fugitive (depending on the bounty), sneak up behind them and open fire until they're screaming for mercy and injecting like crazy. Then, I let them fly until they're almost out of scanner range and then I use the injectors. In a Fer-de-Lance with a speed of 500 m/s, it's fairly easy to catch up. Then I let them have it and they explode into millions of tiny pieces. Or, if I'm feeling particularly merciful I give them a couple of chances to eject before I blow them to bits.

My best strategy is letting the lasers cool almost all the way down, getting up close and releasing an endless barrage until the lasers overheat, or until they go BOOM!
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Norby wrote:
List of armed core ships without missile pylons in rot13:
Xenvg, Znzon, Genafcbegre, Fvqrjvaqre.
Yes, but with Xenvgs it seems strange because they are really strong otherwise. And of course I never shoot at Genafcbegres!
DrunkenPalpatine
Competent
Competent

Post by DrunkenPalpatine »

There is one thing I love! When I am facing a huge pack of pirates I always have my 6 quirium mines ready.
I go into injector mode 5 kilometers before the pack and unload the first mine...then the second, the third right after another during flight.. a nice mine chain.
Then I watch in afterview how the bubbles burst!