Change Commander Jameson to Own Name ((HOW)) COMPLETE NOVICE

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Oster Hagen-Key
Average
Average

Change Commander Jameson to Own Name ((HOW)) COMPLETE NOVICE

Post by Oster Hagen-Key »

Hi, if my request seem really basic, basic, basic (SORRY) is their a thread/topic/sticky that has all this sort of info? I searched change name, Comm Jamesson etc but it brought just about every thread ever!!!

1ST TIME PLAY--HOW TO CHANGE COMMANDERS NAME?????

Thanks

OHK (Short Name)
Alonzee!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

When docked, press F2. Select the save option (not quick save). The file name you give it is then taken as your commander name.

Many times I've accidentally been flying around as Commander autosave :lol:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

When you load up for the first time say N to Load New Commander (you ain't got any yet. :wink: ). Then Press F2 to bring up the options menu. Use the Curser keys to highlight Save Commander. Then press ENTER to select it. Where it says "Commander name : Jameson" either press ENTER to save as Jameson or use backspace to delete Jameson and type in your name. Then hit ENTER to save. Checking the Wikki under Instruction Manual will give you the basics. Check out Mr Gimmlet for some tips. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Oster Hagen-Key
Average
Average

Post by Oster Hagen-Key »

Thanks All.

Oster Hargen-Key
Alonzee!
BeastieBoy
Average
Average

Re:

Post by BeastieBoy »

LittleBear wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:32 pm
When you load up for the first time say N to Load New Commander (you ain't got any yet. :wink: ). Then Press F2 to bring up the options menu. Use the Curser keys to highlight Save Commander. Then press ENTER to select it. Where it says "Commander name : Jameson" either press ENTER to save as Jameson or use backspace to delete Jameson and type in your name. Then hit ENTER to save. Checking the Wikki under Instruction Manual will give you the basics. Check out Mr Gimmlet for some tips. :wink:
Hi All. I don't think this works on the latest version. Before starting a new commander on the main menu F2 doesn't do anything. So i get start a new commander, load one key settings manage OXPs. So i start a new commander. I get the take the parcel message sell the laser get injectors blurb. Accept that then go into save. I change Jameson to anything and save. When you go back into the game your name is still Jameson. Also the save is still named what ever you changed it too but the description below the window still says Commander Jameson.

BB
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Change Commander Jameson to Own Name ((HOW)) COMPLETE NOVICE

Post by phkb »

Well, Oolite has moved on quite a bit since 2008 (my goodness, is that the time!). To do it now, follow these steps:
(1) Press F4 to go to the Interfaces page
(2) Open the "Ship Registration" item
(3) Enter your commander's name and press enter
(4) Enter your ship's name and press enter.
And you're done! When saving the game you can use any name you like now, as it's not related to your commander name any more.
BeastieBoy
Average
Average

Post by BeastieBoy »

Cool Thanks. It certainly has been a while. Having been seriously ill lately i have a lot more time on my hands so I'm getting to return to my old favorites to try again.

Thanks for all the help.

BB
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Welcome back BeastieBoy and wishing all the best for a quick recovery.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]