Disabling the "running commentary"?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Disabling the "running commentary"?

Post by Thargoid »

Just had a nice naval reserve battle with a few Thargoid friends, which was fun (until a battleship smacked into my cloaked Supercobra and we had a space bar moment) except for one thing.

I was surrounded by (seemingly somewhat incompetent given how quickly they ended up as alloy and wreckage) naval wingmates who seemed to be giving almost a running commentary whenever they got hit, moved, blinked or anything else. Came up nicely in the little text box at the top, no problem there. However each line also came up in the larger green scrolling text below, across and just above the laser sights. Hence my ability to assist in the battle was somewhat limited as I was fighting through a scrolling commentary of the whole thing, and couldn't see half of it. :twisted:

Could a key be added to disable that scrolling text that appears across the laser sights, or moves it into the communications log box? Or to just temporarily turn it off until pressed again, for use in battle and other situations where radio distractions aren't wanted? That fight wasn't fun, like shooting through an autocue :roll:
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Excellent suggestion. This is a problem I've fixed for the next update to Galactic Navy (ETA August) by making the wingmates less chatty. I was annoyed by the running commentary as well.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Great news. This was an extreme example (as it was getting in the way of a good dogfight), but there have been one or two other examples during game-play, hence the generic suggestion rather than a specific request for the OXP update.

But good to know you're on the case for it, other than that it's a great OXP.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

And now imagine chatty companions, while you're suffering from the "sticky messages" bug.... :evil: