The Shipyard at the End of the Ooniverse. Modeller's bit.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The Shipyard at the End of the Ooniverse. Modeller's b

Post by Diziet Sma »

Looking at your Planet Express ship, I notice that the x,y,z "0,0,0" point isn't located in the centre of the ship. It's important in Oolite that this be corrected as the bounding-box that Oolite uses will be much bigger than required, leading to a number of problems in-game.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Paradox wrote:
Help meeeee... I can't stop long enough to even play now! };]
Ha, I don't think I've 'just played' Oolite for well over a year now, maybe two. 8)
<Takes another cookie from the jar...>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Help meeeee... I can't stop long enough to even play now! };]
Ha, I don't think I've 'just played' Oolite for well over a year now, maybe two. 8)
<Takes another cookie from the jar...>
Hehehe.. maybe we should declare an official "Just Play The Damn Game" week (or month?), where all OXP work is to cease, and everyone must just play for the fun of it! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hehehe.. maybe we should declare an official "Just Play The Damn Game" week (or month?), where all OXP work is to cease, and everyone must just play for the fun of it! :lol:
OH, I'd like that. But let me first post my question(s) in the scripter's cove. :lol:

And I think a week would be enough. :wink:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
OH, I'd like that. But let me first post my question(s) in the scripter's cove. :lol:
Yeah sure.. so you'll have something to keep working with, in secret, when you should be playing.. :lol: :wink:
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Oh man.. SandJ is just gonna "squeeeee!" when he sees that Spaceman Spiff model! (Spiff is his avatar) And the Planet Express ship is awesome! 8)
The Spiff model was just a quickie to see if I could come close to making something recognizable... Without having transparency, and hence, no Spiff inside, I don't think it would be much use.. Plus it would be so small....
Diziet Sma wrote:
Welcome to the Darkside of Oolite! Cookies are on the plate over in the corner. :mrgreen:
Ooh cookies! Thank you! };]
Diziet Sma wrote:
Here are a set of External Views I adapted from a Caduceus for use with a Behemoth. They might make a better starting point for your Leviathan. As they are generally in the 1.5-3.0 km range from ship centre, they might be a little too close still, but you should at least be able to see enough of the ship to be able to tweak the x,y,z coordinates to suit...
Thank you! I will give them a try. If I can get my brain off modeling for a while, I am thinking of making two different FS Leviathans, a small "young" one that a player could have, and then some full size wandering giant npcs...
Diziet Sma wrote:
Looking at your Planet Express ship, I notice that the x,y,z "0,0,0" point isn't located in the centre of the ship. It's important in Oolite that this be corrected as the bounding-box that Oolite uses will be much bigger than required, leading to a number of problems in-game.
That picture was taken before I began scaling it etc. I do all my modeling/texturing first, then scale and position it so I can write down all the coordinates I need for the plists. I got it in the game, and it's currently 50 meters long. I managed to screw up 3 out of the 20 frikin' engines on the back, so I need to fix that today. I also need to re-work my rear laser/view solution. I took a few artistic liberties, but they aren't working too well just yet.}:]

BTW, what is up with the engine exhaust stretching? At the slowest acceleration, they line up fine, but as you speed up, and they begin to stretch out, the base also moves -z way out from the original coordinates. }:[
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Paradox wrote:
BTW, what is up with the engine exhaust stretching? At the slowest acceleration, they line up fine, but as you speed up, and they begin to stretch out, the base also moves -z way out from the original coordinates. }:[
Oh, yeah, I meant to fix that. It should keep the same origin as you accelerate.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Paradox wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Oh man.. SandJ is just gonna "squeeeee!" when he sees that Spaceman Spiff model! (Spiff is his avatar) And the Planet Express ship is awesome! 8)
The Spiff model was just a quickie to see if I could come close to making something recognizable... Without having transparency, and hence, no Spiff inside, I don't think it would be much use.
While there's indeed no transparency, you can sort of emulate it by reversing the normals for the dome. It's not perfect, but it's the best that can be done. It works because Oolite allows you to look through any structure from the inside, and by reversing the normals the dome is turned inside out.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

cim wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Oh, yeah, I meant to fix that. It should keep the same origin as you accelerate.
So put that cookie down and go tickle your keyboard! If I gotta input 20 engine exhausts, they should at least have the decency to stay put! };]
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Commander McLane wrote:
Paradox wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
The Spiff model was just a quickie to see if I could come close to making something recognizable... Without having transparency, and hence, no Spiff inside, I don't think it would be much use.
While there's indeed no transparency, you can sort of emulate it by reversing the normals for the dome. It's not perfect, but it's the best that can be done. It works because Oolite allows you to look through any structure from the inside, and by reversing the normals the dome is turned inside out.
OK, makes sense... more or less. I will do a re-model and see what I can do. Gonna have to be an awfully big Spiff though. }:]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
cim wrote:
Paradox wrote:
So put that cookie down and go tickle your keyboard! If I gotta input 20 engine exhausts, they should at least have the decency to stay put! };]
Even when cim does fix it, you'll have to install trunk to see it working.. or wait for 1.78 to be released.. :mrgreen:
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Just a quickie screencap. of Planet Express. }:]

You can see my attempt at integrating a rear laser/viewpoint under the engines in back, but I might ditch that, and put another dome/laser (like the one on the top) under the "belly" between the rear fins.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wow. 8)
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Even when cim does fix it, you'll have to install trunk to see it working.. or wait for 1.78 to be released.. :mrgreen:
I can wait, it's not a big deal most of the time, just looks messed up...}:] As long as it doesn't keep me out of the black.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Wow. 8)
Lol! Thanks, I am proud of this one, and as soon as I get Spaceman Spiff finished, I will try to tweak this one enough to maybe upload it.