Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Does Oolite use both processors?

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Does Oolite use both processors?

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I was just curious, because I have a Core Duo CPU in my Mini.... Can Oolite take advantage of both cores in my processor? Or would Oolite on a 1.66GHz Core Duo Mini be only slightly faster than on a 1.5GHz Core Solo Mini?
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

It'll be better than slightly faster - because even using a single cpu core (which, given that oolite was written before multi-cores were cheap enough for Giles to program/test on!) your OS and stuff should be on one core and the game (hopefully) will be on another.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Secondary tasks like loading textures and playing sounds are offloaded to threads, and as DaddyHoggy says there are always some background tasks in effect. However, most of Oolite’s work is done in a single thread and therefore on a single core.

However, on a 1.5 GHz Core Duo, I would expect Oolite to be using well under 100% of a core in normal flight anyway. (You can check this using /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.)