Behemoth update

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Me too...

I like the front-port behemoths the best, personally.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
On my system (1.72 on OSX), the behremoth type 2 (Colosus for example) has a docking slit at the back, which is rotated 90 degrees so it doesnt match up properly with the model, and is impossible to dock in with a normal sized ship.

Do other people get this behaviour?
It's no bug, it is just designed that way. Behemoths were never intended for civilian docking. The military ships have no problem with that slid. Same for the more round ships like my boa mk2. I always could dock with my boa at that behemoth type 2. It's probably the cobra that is to wide for this slid?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

if its designed that way, then i think there are some panels missing off the back?

I get a large post-box shaped hole which has some odd infinitly thin walls running down it at the edge of the docking slot and the space around the slot is hollow.

Edit: at the moment I am flying a Terrapin, but I dont mind not being able to dock, I just thought it was wrong, so I was reporting it :)
Last edited by Cmdr James on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Cmdr James wrote:
if its designed that way, then i think there are some panels missing off the back?

I get a large post-box shaped hole which has some odd infinitly thin walls running down it at the edge of the docking slot and the space around the slot is hollow.
Screenshot?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Yeah, OK, I was hoping I wouldnt have to, as I need to mess about getting webspace...

Hopefully this image is visible.

You can see from this not very good picture, that there is some transparent space around the docking slot, through which we can see sky and the outside of the ship, however, if we go around the front, we see that there is no "window" through which we can see this.

Am I making sense?
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I've seen that effect fairly often. It seems to be a mismatch between the ship model and it's docking port.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
You can see from this not very good picture, that there is some transparent space around the docking slot, through which we can see sky and the outside of the ship, however, if we go around the front, we see that there is no "window" through which we can see this.

Am I making sense?
Hmm. I'll look to it, I always thought this construction was made this way to allow those two big thrusters and the docking port fit in the back. I'll see if 90 degr. rotation of the docking bay makes more sense visually.

EDIT:
I just opened the model with drydock. There it looks completely right but not as in game or as with your screen shot. So you are completely right: The model gets disturbed because of a wrong addition of the dock.

EDIT2:
I changed the rotation part of the dock subentity in type-2 behemoth from:

Code: Select all

<string>behe-dockv2 0 0 -245	0 1 1 0</string>
to

<string>behe-dockv2 0 0 -245	0 1 0 0</string>
And after that it looked much better. :lol:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Got it: In both Behemoth models the dock is horizontal, however in the shipdata of behemoth-type2 we find

<string>behe-dockv2		0 0 -245	0 1 1 0</string>
which turns the docking bay an unwanted 90 degrees around the z-axis. It would have to be turned 180 degrees around the y-axis, however, for which the quaternion is 0 0 1 0. So the line has to be

<string>behe-dockv2		0 0 -245	0 0 1 0</string>
@Eric: The difference between 0 1 0 0 (your solution) and 0 0 1 0 (my solution) is that your turn around the x-axis will cause the bay to be upside down. This doesn't matter as long as it is symmetrical, but should it get a non-symmetrical texture at some point, you would see it.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Accidentally: Thanks, guys.

The RS Juggernaut is actually a version of the behemoth, and had exactly this problem also. McLane's line seems to have solved it.

Brilliant :D
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Excellent, that certainly improves it :)

Eric, are you going to upload a fixed OXP?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
Eric, are you going to upload a fixed OXP?
Yes in a few days or so. First I want to look is there is nothing else to be changed to make it full adapted to 1.72 (But currently I see no other issues).

It just amazed me that such an old ship still has such an obvious bug. I remember seeing some odd things with the dock in the past but as it was a ship of the master himself, I had no doubt that everything I saw was intentional.

Strange that this was never seen on release as the documentation explicit mention improving the dock. (twice!) But rotation of subentities is rarely used. It could be that old Oolite had a bug that made that the wrong rotation direction was never used and current Oolite does it right. Who knows if is was right in the past?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

It could do with an updated texture too :wink:
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

pagroove wrote:
It could do with an updated texture too :wink:
Yes, Griff, please...the GriffBoa already did remind me more of the Sulaco from Aliens instead of a Boa...and I'm pretty sure that this would be one of the nastiest looking things around if he does it!

Screet
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

If you think something is too wide for your CMK3, try docking in my Imperial Courier...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Does anybody know what the above message means?

[behemoth_carrier]: A behemoth carrier was added in role as hunter without a shipSpawned event. Correcting it.