SuperCobra.OXP and V1.71.2

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

SuperCobra.OXP and V1.71.2

Post by Thargoid »

Greetings,

To parallel my other thread in the PC section, I wonder if anyone can assist with a problem I'm having with the SuperCobra OXP and an install of the current test version (V1.71.2).

It seems to work, except for the lasers. I either don't get any beam at all, or some odd effects (some red triangles coming in from the top, or a thin red line horizontally across the cursor). Same effect with pulse, beam, mining and military guns.

If I use any other ship (including other OXP ships, tried it on an outrider), or the stable Oolite version (v1.65) it all works fine on the same machine (Dell D600 laptop running XP Pro SP3). It just seems to be this combination of ship and Oolite itself? I can't find any updates for the graphics drivers, but am still hunting there.

Any clues anyone, as it's stopping me using the current version of Oolite and so some of the tasty new OXPs, and I just love the SC as a ship.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Don't look for drivers, if other ships' lasers work ok, then the problem is definitely not there.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: SuperCobra.OXP and V1.71.2

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
SuperCobra OXP ....It seems to work, except for the lasers. I either don't get any beam at all, or some odd effects (some red triangles coming in from the top, or a thin red line horizontally across the cursor). Same effect with pulse, beam, mining and military guns.
Hello Thargoid,

Human ships are just working differently. When controlled by a thargoid pilot strange things may happen.

Trash the super-cobra, it has sloppy programming. e.g there is no laser position defined in its data. This is giving your problems I assume. Probably 1.65 was more tolerant with these types of bugs.

And more things are missing like eject position, missile launch position ... Just expect strange behaviour from it when you use it.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I can confirm the same with my Supercobra, I thought it was an Oolite problem not the OXP, there was some talk earlier about laser problems so associated it with that. Ok then it looks like it's time to change the old soopy <sigh>, I don't like the IC because part of the front view gets blocked off so what would you reccomend? It's got to be fast powerful offensively and defensively and be able to carry a minimum of 20ish tons of cargo, money's no object! (I'll check out realistic shipyards for the best price)
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: SuperCobra.OXP and V1.71.2

Post by Frame »

Eric Walch wrote:
Trash the super-cobra, it has sloppy programming. e.g there is no laser position defined in its data. This is giving your problems I assume. Probably 1.65 was more tolerant with these types of bugs.
someone should fix it though, he is the author anyone knows ?
Thargoid wrote:
I and all the food blenders ;- ). welcomes you to the friendliest bullitin board this side of Riedquat.

ps. tried to write that in thargoid usual offending maners, but it would be impossible for humans to read and get the point. :S...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Somebody could modify it locally and see if it works and then make it available as SuperCobra_fixed.oxp.

We all produce/offer up oxps knowing/hoping that they'll go on to bigger and better things. (although bigger with RS is a scary thought! :D )
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

TGHC wrote:
I can confirm the same with my Supercobra, I thought it was an Oolite problem not the OXP, there was some talk earlier about laser problems so associated it with that. Ok then it looks like it's time to change the old soopy <sigh>, I don't like the IC because part of the front view gets blocked off so what would you reccomend? It's got to be fast powerful offensively and defensively and be able to carry a minimum of 20ish tons of cargo, money's no object! (I'll check out realistic shipyards for the best price)
I think the Wolf Mark II (Special Edition) is pretty much the top non-übership out there. It's nicely balanced, does up to 0.38, 6 energy banks, very good recharge level, and can carry 20 tons. Good paintjob on the SE, too. There's always the Tiger, with a top speed of 0.5, 7 energy banks, and hauling 50 tons; personally I think the 0.5 top speed kicks this into the über category, but one person's übership is another's nicely-rounded vessel, so... Of course, RS will probably make you pay through the nose for a Tiger!
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I fly a SuperCobra, and would have considered changing to a Tiger before now, had I been able to find one with a Naval Energy Unit fitted. That's one of the ship mods that seems to only be available if you buy it already-fitted to the new ship.
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
someone should fix it though, he is the author anyone knows ?
I did a try. Added laser views and external views. On testing I noticed it is really "uber". With all energy units build in you could stay cloaked forever. I changed base-prise to that from RS to accommodate for that.

Both the old an new one are on the wiki now. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/SuperCobra

Try and let know if this one is better. When it is okay I'll remove the old link.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
.. had I been able to find one with a Naval Energy Unit fitted. That's one of the ship mods that seems to only be available if you buy it already-fitted to the new ship.
Not completely. The Naval Energy Unit is awarded to the player after completion of one of the internal missions. From this moment it becomes also regular for sale.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Greetings Commodore,

Many thanks for that, from a quick test flight it seems to have ironed out the problem. I can now continue to vape foolish human pirates for the greater alien glory :twisted: I shall have to notify my superiors about this dangerous human efficiency...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Cheers Eric, works a treat, plus I've gained a million credits in asset value. :wink: The Navy juggernaut at 41mCr is still a little way off though!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

TGHC wrote:
Cheers Eric, works a treat, plus I've gained a million credits in asset value. :wink: The Navy juggernaut at 41mCr is still a little way off though!
Well, there`s quite a few ships inbetween the SuperCobra and the Juggernaut :wink:

SuperCobra --> Falcon --> Black Monk Gunship --> Dredger --> Condor Flagship --> Juggernaut for example ... :P

8)

L
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

This could turn out to be the new holy grail of the game, to be Elite and own and command the Navy Juggernaut.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

TGHC wrote:
This could turn out to be the new holy grail of the game, to be Elite and own and command the Navy Juggernaut.
:shock:

It was actually my idea to give Elite players some aim to strive for with the ultra-ships. It takes very, very long to acquire them, and I imagine gives some feeling of enormous achievement when you at last own something that costs 10s of millions of credits. (Can imagine because I`m not there yet myself. I have test-flown those ships to see if they work but haven`t earned them yet - just not the same)

And let`s not forget there`s still the Navy Constitution out there, with a 141 million credits pricetag ... that`s the penultimate ship. Anaconda`s splash on its windscreen ... :twisted:

Happy it works for you :)

L