Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduction

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

kaice
Average
Average

Introduction

Post by kaice »

Hi All :)

Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I'm a 55 yr old, retired ex-programmer now living the "good" life in sunny (and hot, and sweaty lol) Florida. I've played Elite in one form or another since the release for the Commodore 64. Elite, Elite Plus, Elite (The Newkind) have all seen their usage on my various computers. I was (am) very excited to see a true modern-day port of this in Oolite, and I commend the authors, developers, and supporters very highly on what they have accomplished. I'm currently using 1.65 on a Windows XP system, and loving it.

So far (after about a week of some serious gametime) the only thing I've really noticed was the same problem I seem to have with *every* version of Elite - I spend too d^&#ed much time playing - hehehehe.
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

Welcome to the boards. Here's to many more happy hours playing the finest video game on the planet.
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

Like you I have been trying various Elite variants since the Acorn Electron and Atari ST versions. Oolite is the only one that, for me, feels like the original and yet still manages to offer much more.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Welcome kaice.
kaice wrote:
So far (after about a week of some serious gametime) the only thing I've really noticed was the same problem I seem to have with *every* version of Elite - I spend too d^&#ed much time playing - hehehehe.
It must be the same kind of virus like on the 6510, hehe.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, kaice, and welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

Thanks for the warm words! And it goes without saying that you're more than welcome to contribute, here on the boards, in form of OXPs and in developing the game itself (did I read "retired ex-programmer" in your introduction?)! :wink:

Oh, and I like your sig. :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Introduction

Post by JensAyton »

kaice wrote:
I know the perfect cure for that: dig into the code. ;-)
kaice
Average
Average

Post by kaice »

Thank you all for the welcome.

I look forward to many many hours of fine gameplay.

And Commander McLane - I thank you for the offer allow me to help out, but, unfortunately, even though it is true that I am a retired programmer (25 yrs experience), 99.99% of that time and experience was in mainframe business systems utilizing languages such as RPG, Cobol, PickBasic and the like on text-based crt interfaces. The "newer" languages (newer to an old fogy like me) like C++ and the GUI systems are still Greek to me. But maybe the urge to learn will come upon me someday ... who knows?
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Does this mean TGHC has been ousted as the elder statesman of the OOlite commoonity?
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

@ kaice - a slightly belated welcome. You've fallen in with a bunch of vagabonds and thieves here, but they are a great deal of fun!! Probably the nicest, friendliest forum I've had the pleasure to participate in.

I had the 'misfortune' to come up through Algol and Fortran, originally I learned computing with punch cards and paper tape!! ...uuggghhh... It was a revelation the first time I saw a command line interface demonstrated on a CRT!
Selezen wrote:
...TGHC has been ousted as the elder statesman of the OOlite commoonity?
...'fraid not, unless you're only referring to useful, sane, contributive members of the community...!!! :lol: :lol: ...I think I'm one the eldermost(??) at 61...?
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Selezen wrote:
Does this mean TGHC has been ousted as the elder statesman of the OOlite commoonity?
Nope!

but I still defer to Stargazer who shades me by a couple of years.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Ah. Sorry Stargazer, didn't realise you were a tad older.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Actually, that's really encouraging to know that there are some others here of my generation. My last girl-friend was very scathing that someone of my age should still enjoy computer games and stuff!! :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

A programmer and a girlfriend? :) There's hope for all in this world!

(says somebody who can't believe he found somebody willing to marry him and let him KEEP playing computer games!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Gareth3377
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Gareth3377 »

Well, I'm lucky too (or my missus just puts up with it) especially when I start blathering on about Oolite (or the lovely HDR effects in Half Life, the atmosphere of Crysis etc.) In fact I'm one lucky person. She just bought me a lovely t-shirt with Optimus Prime on it.