Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

System_Redux, Tiger and 1.71.2 Hang

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

System_Redux, Tiger and 1.71.2 Hang

Post by Scoopy »

Having just downloaded 1.71.2 it seemed to be my turn to have a failed witchdrive and thus go to meet the Thargoids.

The game entered witchspace and the screen froze. Sounds still work though as I can hear my laser if I press fire. Non of the other buttons appear to do much.

Played with OXP´s until I isolated it to only happening with System_Redux and the Tiger OXP installed. Either one on their own seem to work fine.

It may have occurred in earlier test versions but I haven´t been in witchspace for a while.

Any clever people have any clever thoughts?

Regards
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’m not at home right now, so I can’t test it, but it sounds like a repeated exception. Please post the last ten or so lines of the game’s run log.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Scoopy, are you sure it is these OXPs that cause the problem? I tried on a clean 1.71.2 installation with only Tiger and System Redux installed and I could not reproduce your crash. I can enter witchspace and fight without problems.

If possible, please also post the top part of your log. It could be useful to have a look at what else is being loaded on startup.
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

Well, the only other variable I could think off was something else in my save game. Well that and my customized keyboard config. I first experienced the problem, removed all my OXP´s and, as I play in a Tiger, I had to start a completely new game as Jameson to try and reproduce the problem.

I started putting OXPs back one by one, starting with the Tiger (so I could use my save game) until I got to Sytem_Redux when the problem started again. Just to be sure, I then removed the Tiger and kicked of a new game as Jameson but with System_Redux. Worked fine.

I´d love to post log output but being rather a newbie (albeit Dangerous and in a Tiger :) ) I don´t how to generate one. Any advice on how to achieve it appreciated.

EDIT: By the way, running on OSX 10.5.2

Regards
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

One of our Mac guys will be able to tell you where the game log is on the Mac. But if you can, try putting in only the Tiger and the System Redux OXPs in, then try to reproduce the crash. If it does not crash, then the problem is somewhere else. Just to be sure.
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

Thanks for the reply!

I have removed all my OXPs and currently only run with Tiger and System_Redux. I can re-produce the error at will.

I have tried a new commander with just these two oxp´s loaded and it works fine. It just breaks with my save game which, has me flying in a Tiger.

I´ve looked all over the place for this error log file but haven´t found it anywhere. Haven´t run "find" though as I don´t know the name of the file or if I need to turn something on to get it generated in the first place.

Regards
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

My best guess is that a different OXP is to blame here. Or something is wrong with your savefile.

A list of the OXPs you are using would be really helpful at this point. Also, if you send me your savefile (nikbar2004 at yahoo point com), I would be glad to have a look at it and try to get it to crash over here.
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

another_commander wrote:
My best guess is that a different OXP is to blame here. Or something is wrong with your savefile.

A list of the OXPs you are using would be really helpful at this point. Also, if you send me your savefile (nikbar2004 at yahoo point com), I would be glad to have a look at it and try to get it to crash over here.
Thanks, very much appreciated.

I have sent you a save file and a list of the OXPs I use though would stress I get the same problem with only tiger and System_Redux.

EDIT: I´ll post in the mac forum to see if someone can tell me where the run log might be

Regards
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

Ok, think I found the log, can´t beat "find".

I have found "/Users/myname/Library/Logs/Oolite/Latest.log" which I presume is the correct one. Lots of errors in it so it looks likely :)

I presume this bit tells you what add ons are installed
(
"/Applications/Oolite/Oolite.app/Contents/Resources", "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns",
"/Users/markgrant/.Oolite/AddOns", "/Users/markgrant/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns",
"/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/System_Redux.oxp", "/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/tiger.oxp"
)

Last part of log file looks like this.
[dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 6 world scripts: "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.71.2, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.71.2, "oolite-nova" 1.71.2, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.71.2, "oolite-trumbles" 1.71.2, "System Redux 1.1 beta" 1.1
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[exception]: ***** Exception during [update:entity[<ShipEntity 0xfa5800>{"Navigation Buoy"}]] in [Universe update:] : NSInvalidArgumentException : *** -[NSCFArray insertObject:atIndex:]: attempt to insert nil *****
[system]: *** NSTimer ignoring exception '*** -[NSCFArray insertObject:atIndex:]: attempt to insert nil' that raised during firing of timer with target 0x490000 and selector 'performGameTick:'
[exception]: ***** Exception during [update:entity[<ShipEntity 0xc26400>{"Thargoid Warship"}]] in [Universe update:] : NSInvalidArgumentException : *** -[NSCFArray insertObject:atIndex:]: attempt to insert nil *****
[system]: *** NSTimer ignoring exception '*** -[NSCFArray insertObject:atIndex:]: attempt to insert nil' that raised during firing of timer with target 0x490000 and selector 'performGameTick:'
This pretty much repeats for thousands of lines until I exited :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Scoopy!

Yes, you have found the log. Just to make it easier next time: You just have to open the Console (which you find in Applications/Utilities). Then you navigate to ~Library/Logs/Oolite, where you always will find Latest.log and Previous.log, which is the logfile from the last time you had opened Oolite. Can be handy for comparison.

Or, second and even more convenient: You download and install Debug.oxp. That enables a Debug-menu next to your usual Oolite-menus. The first entry of the menu allows you to open your logfile in the console instantly (shortcut APPLE-L, although this will activate whatever you have assigned to your L-key in Oolite as well).
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

Thanks Commander McLane, glad I was in the right place.

I have also downloaded the Debug OXP too. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards

Mark
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@ the other guys: Could your inability to reproduce the bug come from a slight difference in the set-up? Scoopy has not only Tiger.oxp installed, he is flying the Tiger when the bug occurs. I think this might be different from having the OXP installed, but flying another player-ship.

(And we had some player-ship specific issues before, e.g. the crash on selling - or dying in - a ship having subentities.)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

I also tested with the Tiger itself yesterday. However, now I have the savefile and I can run some more thourough tests. But I'm flooded with work at the moment, so it will be a while before I can have some results.
Scoopy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Scoopy »

Thanks for looking at this and for me at least, there´s no hurry.

Out of interest, I decided to see if changing ships makes a difference. I traded in my trusty Tiger for a Fer-de-Lance and I still got the same problem. However, as I have the debug OXP installed (I presume this is the reason), I also got a nice Java Console saying..
Initialising OXP System Redux 1.1 beta
Warning: The event handler didExitWitchSpace has been renamed to shipExitedWitchspace. The script System Redux 1.1 beta must be updated. The old form will not be supported in future versions of Oolite!
Seems odd to me "initialising" System_Redux when entering witchspace as there are no planets there. However, that may be just my poor understanding of things.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

I had a very quick look at the issue. With only Tiger and SR installed, I loaded up Scoopy's game, launched from Sodionbe, set course to Araron and executed a misjump. Entered witchspace, no problem at all. I'm afraid I can't see anything wrong with it. Unless Scoopy has a very specific, precise way to reproduce the crash (in which case I would like to know), I don't think I can really be of any help with this.

Edit: Looking at the errors from Scoopy's log, I seem to get a deja vu thing. This looks suspiciously like the crash that was the reason 1.71 was pulled out of circulation (crash on entering witchspace). Scoopy, how did you install the game? Did you copy files over a previous installation by any chance?