Debug Console

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Debug Console

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

The way I've got it all to work on Ubuntu is as follows: Download and extract the zip file from here: http://prdownload.berlios.de/oolite-lin ... le-1.0.zip Then open it up, open the OoDebugConsole folder and extract the zip file in there. Now, using the terminal, cd into the OoDebugConsole_Src folder that you just unzipped, and run python DebugConsole.py

That should run the console. Now you start up Oolite. With luck, you should be up and running! You'll know you're connected if you see this in the console:
Type /quit to quit.
Waiting for connection..
Opened connection with Oolite version 1.75.3
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Also the key point to note above is that it runs from a normal terminal prompt, not from the Python command line shell. I recall in the past several people have made that mistake.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Kaks wrote:
inside

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... P_protocol

you can find a link to

http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/oolite-li ... ugConsole/

which contains all the files and directories that make up the consoles, correctly placed in relation to each other. From there you should be able to see that ooliteConsoleServer is the name of a directory containing files essential for running the console itself. It sounds like your system cannot find the ooliteConsoleServer directory.

You might not have all the files and directories required, or they might not be in the right place, relative to each other.

Hope this helps.
OooooK, I think I downloaded all the files. Do you have any idea in what order these need to be tagged? Man, there's a lot more to this oxp stuff than the tutorials seem to hint. I could have sworn reading somewhere that oxps were easy BECAUSE the community wanted to encourage people to write them. It's a bit confusing, but I'm banging away at it, or stumbling away at it, or something.... :)
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Never mind, I stumbled over it. :D

Special thanks to Kaks, and Mauiby de Fug. It's really cool to see that JavaScript Console pop up. Now I just have to learn to use it, LOL!!! :lol:
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Any chance of an updated debug.oxp. I see that there are some changes to one of the javascripts when I look at the svn-tree. So just changing requires.plist is not enough this time I think.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

For linux and windows pcs, you could grab the changed files directly from svn (http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/oolite-li ... Resources/) and replace the old one with the new.

However, an automatically up to date debug.oxp should be included inside each nightly build, so you can also grab the current tebug.oxp from there! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Kaks wrote:
For linux and windows pcs, you could grab the changed files directly from svn (http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/oolite-li ... Resources/) and replace the old one with the new.
However, an automatically up to date debug.oxp should be included inside each nightly build, so you can also grab the current tebug.oxp from there! :)
I have already done the first part, but I'll download the latest nightly just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Edit: One more thing, what's the difference between basicdebug.oxp and debug.oxp?

Thank you.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Basic-debug contains only the files needed by Windows & linux, debug also contains the spiffy integrated menu addon if you're using a mac (and it's only updated when making a mac build IIRC).

If you've got both basic-debug.oxp & debug.oxp you've already got one debug too many! :)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Kaks wrote:
Basic-debug contains only the files needed by Windows & linux, debug also contains the spiffy integrated menu addon if you're using a mac (and it's only updated when making a mac build).
If you've got both basic-debug.oxp & debug.oxp you've already got one debug too many! :)
I don't have both. I used to have debug.oxp, and now saw basicdebug.oxp for the first time :oops: . I have now changed to basicdebug.oxp.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

@Kaks
Saw the update to the debug console on Berlios. Any chance of an updated Windows executable. Installing Python and dependencies on Windows is a pain. As for dependencies, I do believe you also need the "Zope Interface" on Windows in addition to those listed. Alas the Zope interface is most commonly distributed as an .egg file, which in my world is not a straight forward install. I did however find a "Zope Interface" auto installer for Windows here (bottom of page). Might be useful for others as well.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Unfortunately the latest version of pyInstaller (the program I used to make the executable for version 1.0) seems to be skipping a python library or two on my system, and I haven't yet figured out the way to fix it.

I'll post the .exe the moment I sort out what's gumming up the works!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Is there any way (on Windows 7) to make a script to load the debug console, and then Oolite itself? I would want it as an icon I can run from my desktop, so the auto-Start folder is out.

I tried making a .bat file but that waits for the debug console to be exited before loading Oolite.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

In a batch file, if you prefix the call with "start" I think it should continue without waiting for the called program to exit - eg:

Code: Select all

start notepad.exe
start prog2.exe
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JD wrote:
In a batch file, if you prefix the call with "start" I think it should continue without waiting for the called program to exit
Yes that worked thanks.

My batch file looks like this:

Code: Select all

start C:\Oolite\oolite.app\oodebugconsole.exe
start C:\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite.exe -nosplash -fullscreen -load "c:/oolite/oolite.app/oolite-saves/Poseidon.oolite-save"
exit
I've found I have to place the .bat file in the oolite.app folder, otherwise the debug console .cfg files end up on the desktop too. So I have put a shortcut to the file on my desktop (should work).
Last edited by JazHaz on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

The latest release 1.77.1 Windows exe have an annoying side effect while developing.

If you type anything resulting in an error, the debug console window looses focus on a two screen setup where one is running OOlite in Fullscreen

It means you have to grab your mouse and click on the debug console again in order to be able to type something
or alt tab to the window again.

Obviously the solution is to run Oolite in a window, but there is a heap of things that "is not right" while in a window. In some cases windows of certain proggies on top of Oolite can cause fps stuttering, which is very bad for FrameCallbacks.

Cheers Frame

Keep up the good work :).
Bounty Scanner
Number 935