Debug Console

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

hmm of course, what I suspected... (wife interfering with my uptime :wink:)

trying that...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I wanted to add a detail here that I have failed to mention before: In the tests I run on the work's network, the address format was not of the 192.168.xxx.xxx type. The computers I tested were carrying "normal" IP addresses, of course of the same domain. I don't think it should matter, as I think that 192.168.xxx.xxx should be also perfectly acceptable as IPs, but would like to just mention it for completeness.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I have python 2.5 installed. however I am at a loss on how to run the debug console from python.. and even where to alter the port number or where to find documentation on howto run the python debug console..

However, the exe file provided should have the ability to change ports with a commandline since ports can conflict...

I think we can conclude that the debug console does not work externally when run with Vista is either client or server side...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The way I run it is:
- Ensure python binaries are in path.
- Open a command prompt inside the root debug console folder and type "python debugconsole.py".

The default port is determined in the file _protocol.py, found in the subfolder named ooliteConsoleServer.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Changing ports should only be needed in the very unlikely event that either some other app is already on port 8563, or, more likely, that the client and server have a firewall between them which blocks that port and you can't change the firewall.

Based on what's I've seen discussed in this thread, neither of those two cases seem to apply.

I'm fairly certain it's something odd with Vista (I saw some indications of other people having similar problems with python network programs and Vista on the internet). (Un)fortunately I don't have Vista at home and I've been too busy at work lately to look further into this.

I'm hoping to get some time next week to investigate.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

It is just very very odd.. I can browse both my vista systems just fine after setting up the various security settings... I can ping and trace route- without any problem. I can even browse on Vista from XP

I can even write a basic winsock program that lets me send text to and fro XP and Vista

But i cannot get debugconsole.py to run, it gives me a bunch of erros.. like this

Code: Select all

D:\Oodebug\OoDebugConsole>debugconsole.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Oodebug\OoDebugConsole\DebugConsole.py", line 21, in <module>
    from ooliteConsoleServer import *
  File "C:\WorkArea\CPP\oolite-debug-console-1.0\OoDebugConsole\ooliteConsoleServer\__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    from OoliteDebugConsoleProtocol import OoliteDebugConsoleProtocol
  File "C:\WorkArea\CPP\oolite-debug-console-1.0\OoDebugConsole\ooliteConsoleServer\OoliteDebugConsoleProtocol.py", line 10, in <module>
    from PropertyListPacketProtocol import PropertyListPacketProtocol
  File "C:\WorkArea\CPP\oolite-debug-console-1.0\OoDebugConsole\ooliteConsoleServer\PropertyListPacketProtocol.py", line 10, in <module>
    from twisted.internet.protocol import Protocol
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\twisted\internet\protocol.py", line 21, in <module>
    from twisted.internet import interfaces, error, defer
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\twisted\internet\defer.py", line 17, in <module>
    from twisted.python import log, failure, lockfile
  File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\twisted\python\lockfile.py", line 28, in <module>
    from win32api import OpenProcess
ImportError: No module named win32api

D:\Oodebug\OoDebugConsole>
I can read the import errors, however, not sure why I cannot locate the modules... And I have no clue what so ever, why this does not work, since i can run the obj2dattex.py tools just fine..
:cry:
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

You need to download and install the 'twisted' python module as well before you can run the debug console. From the readme:
- OoDebugConsole_Src.zip - contains the original python code: to run the python code in windows, you need to install python, the win32 python extensions and the twisted-python library.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Ok, I found the problem.

Basically when opening a remote connection it's possible for the code to run too fast and try to send a packet before the streams are properly initialised - which then causes the whole thing to shut down.

I've added some code into OODebugTCPConsoleClient to ensure it waits until the streams are fully open before attempting to send the 'hello' packet.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Micha wrote:
Ok, I found the problem.

Basically when opening a remote connection it's possible for the code to run too fast and try to send a packet before the streams are properly initialised - which then causes the whole thing to shut down.

I've added some code into OODebugTCPConsoleClient to ensure it waits until the streams are fully open before attempting to send the 'hello' packet.
I have installed twisted, and still it does not work, you will note, i'm not getting the twisted specific errors... ;-)..

however I'm sure people here would like to see the solution.. so that it can be incorperated in the next update of the debug console
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

The problem is with the client code in Oolite - not with the python code in the debug console. If you can build from source, the latest trunk has a stab at the fix in it for you to try out.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Did this work in the end?

I am trying to get it to work on Linux. I can run the python console successfully. (I checked it out from SVN trunk directly.) Once it is running I can telnet to the port and get a connection, and sure enough if I /quit it will close the telnet connection gracefully. So that's all working.

However I don't seem to be able to get oolite to pick up the Debug.OXP, so I don't think it is even trying to connect. I've put it in the Addons folder and all the other OXPs in there are still working... but it just doesn't seem to want to pick up Debug.OXP. I have removed "requires.plist" since that was set to 1.72.99. Or is there another version of Debug.OXP I should be using on trunk?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, it should work.
The console needs to be started before oolite, otherwise no connection between oolite & console is established.

In case your problems are due to debug wanting to read requires.plist: I don't seem to have any problems with the latest debug oxp from the wiki.

All I did was to change what's inside the original requires.plist to

{ version = "1.73"; max_version = "1.73.99"; }
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Kaks wrote:
The console needs to be started before oolite, otherwise no connection between oolite & console is established.
Yep, figured that out.

Done that, it's still not picking it up. What's strange is that it's not even showing up in the OXP search paths.

I've just realised I might have compiled it with the wrong flags, I'll try that (and check out latest whilst I'm at it.)
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re:

Post by mandoman »

zevans wrote:
Kaks wrote:
Yep, figured that out.

Done that, it's still not picking it up. What's strange is that it's not even showing up in the OXP search paths.

I've just realised I might have compiled it with the wrong flags, I'll try that (and check out latest whilst I'm at it.)
What happened next??? I can't get system to run the console. I get onto the Python console, but it won't find the DeBugConsole. The main message I get is that it can't find the Oolite Console Server. If anyone is still reading this, I could sure use some help.
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Debug Console

Post by Kaks »

inside

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... P_protocol

you can find a link to

http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/oolite-li ... ugConsole/

which contains all the files and directories that make up the consoles, correctly placed in relation to each other. From there you should be able to see that ooliteConsoleServer is the name of a directory containing files essential for running the console itself. It sounds like your system cannot find the ooliteConsoleServer directory.

You might not have all the files and directories required, or they might not be in the right place, relative to each other.

Hope this helps.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)