Realistic Shipyards V3.02 in development

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Audio Books?! I can't really complain, my English version is in .doc...
There was Braben, the One, who in Elite is called Creator; and he made first the Coders, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made.

(...)Then Braben said to them 'Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Game. And since I have kindled you with the Flame Imperishable, ye shall show forth your powers in adorning this theme, each with his own thoughts and devices, if he will. But I win sit and hearken, and be glad that through you great beauty has been wakened into Code.'

(...)Never since have the Coders made any Game like to this Game, though it has been said that a greater still shall be made before Braben by the choirs of the Coders and the Brabenites after the end of days. Then the themes of Braben shall be played aright, and take Being in the moment of their utterance, for all shall then understand fully his intent in their part, and each shall know the comprehension of each, and Braben shall give to their thoughts the secret fire, being well pleased.

But now Braben sat and hearkened, and for a great while it seemed good to him, for in the Game there were no flaws. But as the theme progressed, it came into the heart of Bell to interweave matters of his own imagining that were not in accord with the theme of Braben, for he sought therein to increase the power and glory of the part assigned to himself. To Bell among the Coders had been given the greatest gifts of power and knowledge, and he had a share in all the gifts of his brethren.

(...)But being alone he had begun to conceive thoughts of his own unlike those of his brethren.
Some of these thoughts he now wove into his code, and straightway discord arose about him, and many that coded nigh him grew despondent, and their thought was disturbed and their encoding was bugged; but some began to attune their DDLs to his rather than to the thought which they had at first. Then the discord of Bell spread ever wider, and the Nightly Builds which had been played before foundered in a sea of turbulent bugs.

(...)In the midst of this strife, whereat the halls of Braben shook and a tremor ran out into the silences yet unmoved, Braben arose a third time, and his face was terrible to behold. Then he raised up both his hands, and in one data dump, deeper than the Abyss, higher than the Firmament, piercing as the light of the eye of Braben, aborted the Game.

Then Braben spoke, and he said 'Mighty are the Coders, and mightiest among them is Bell; but that he may know, and all the Coders, that I am Braben, those things that ye have writ, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Bell, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the Game in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'

(...)Now the Children of Braben are Eliters and Ooliters, the Firstborn and the Followers.

(...)Then there was unrest among the Coders; but Braben called to them, and said 'I know the desire of your minds that what ye have seen should verily be, not only in your thought, but even as ye yourselves are, and yet other. Therefore I say 01! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Memory the Foolproof Compiler, and it shall be at the heart of the Ooniverse, and the 8 Galaxies shall Be; and those of you that will may go down into it.

(...)And in this work the chief part was taken by Giles and Nosleep; but Bell too was there from the first, and he meddled in all that was done, turning it if he might to his own desires and purposes; and he corrupted the files.

'The Dodomarillion'
EDIT: Sorry for the multipost - I'm a WIFI user... :oops:
PS: This really was a complete derailment, it probably should end on a Tolkien Spoof thread on Outworld :roll:
Last edited by Cmdr. Maegil on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

these are errors i found on the first two runs, and im sure i would find a Tonnage more...
Thanks frame, for looking, but some of those errors have to do with the main game, some have been repaired, and the stderr file does only complain about an AI that should use another command or such but is still working.

Some of those bugs are difficult-to-get-rid-of legacy of the OXPs I have merged. I have repaired them as good as possible. But, as I already explained to my favourite critic Commander McLane, the final playtesting has to be done by you, the other players, as the whole thing is just to huge to be effectively tested by a single person.

But there do not seem to be game-breaking bugs in there.

Sorry for your misfortune

L
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@Cmdr. Maegil: Brilliant! :lol:
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Location... Achenar?! :shock:

Umm... all right, I won't tell the Clone Agents if you don't. 8)
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Location... Achenar?!
Why did you think did I REALLY create this OXP? The farce is with me, young Cmdr. Maegil. I want all the Ooliteers to bow for me and admire my immense brilliance.

Nothing will stand in my way when I declare independence for the systems of Achenar, Facece and others! My even younger apprentice, Darth FSONeblin, must also be somewhere ... where did I put him, wait ...
Umm... all right, I won't tell the Clone Agents if you don't.
[hollow laughter] ]Your clone agents? [/hollow laughter] :twisted:

Your friends will not help you, young Cmdr. Maegil, when I ... I ... erm ...

Or was it the life of Brian, and I just wanted to enhance a nice little game for me & others who are interested? :D

Sometimes I wonder ...

Cool Oolmarillion 8)

L
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Take a look at this library.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

This thread now contains the homepage of and download link to Realistic Shipyards V3.01. Please review the first page for further information!

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

@Cmdr. Maegil:

That`s a cool page, very much to my taste. Now that I have decided to have a real life again, play the game (not only test it) and do other things beside that also, I will have a good read.

Thanks for the link! 8)

L
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Woot! I'm sick right now, but it is downloading. I must have some sort of luck sickness. I will post stuff about it when it it done downloading, master. But now, time to emulate some games (I'm Finished).

Don't panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I will post stuff about it when it it done downloading, master.
I have heard and will prepare for the reception of your experiences. May the dark side of the farce be with you ... always. :twisted:

:lol:

L

PS: The new ship distribution really looks ... spectacular. But better watch from the distance :)
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Ohh! I want a happy eye preacher pod! I will tell them lies, and use them to rule the galaxy! Are there some ships only avable at the shipyard place that this oxp adds? And are you dark lord of the script, ship, farce, or shipyard? Now, time to have a duel of a lifetime, the last duel with my current laser ripper, before I get my evil edition. Ending 1 or 2 for the duel?

Don't panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Just keep taking the tablets, they will eventually work :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

:lol:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Statistics

Post by Lestradae »

Hye to all it may interest 8)

... a little statistics update.

In the first 60 hours or two-and-a-half days of being online, the Realistic Shipyards V3.01 has been downloaded:

92 times! :shock:

... and not a single serious error report.

Myself, playing the game with the oxp in, also playing missions (Galactic Navy, UPS, Thargoid Plans) - no problem, all working as it should.

Have fun with the game to everyone :)

L
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Quick Question,

Can I delete certain ships? I still want to enjoy the Ultimate edition but find that some ships (in particular the ships form any other Sci Fi universe like Star Wars for example) don't fit in the Ooniverse.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi pagroove,

EDIT: PS, just saw you are writing about the Ultimate Edition. There is a newer version (V3.01) online, for which many things have been fixed and/or enhanced further. Have a look at it by clicking on my signature. The "remove something" routine from down below will work with both versions.
Can I delete certain ships? I still want to enjoy the Ultimate edition but find that some ships (in particular the ships form any other Sci Fi universe like Star Wars for example) don't fit in the Ooniverse.
Yes you can. A short How-To:

1. You make a list of the in-game names of the ships you want to remove from the game.

2. You open the Realistic Shipyard`s shipdata.plist and search via search function after those names.

3. At each name, you write down the plist name: It´s at the beginning of each shipdata & shipyard.plist entry and says "<key>shipname</key>". Write down those plist names also.

4. Delete the entries of the ships you don`t want in the shipdata.plist. Keep in mind that many ships have different versions, some player and some NPC, and if you want them completely gone, you have to take all of them out. You should already have found them all in step 2. Don`t forget to erase their subentities, too!

5. After editing (and saving) the shipdata.plist, open the shipyard.plist.

6. Search for the plist names of the player versions of the ships you want to remove (you won`t find their in-game names here).

7. Remove the entries corresponding to the ships you don`t want.

8. Save your new shipyard.plist.

9. Next time you start the game, remember to press SHIFT while starting so that the game recognises the changes you have made. After that, at every game start you have the oxp without the ships you don`t want.

There is actually an in-game explanation for the ships from series etc. in Oolite that stems, I think, from Commander McLane. The basic idea is that for the people in 3200+, those series are ancient stories, like for example Icarus or the Mahabharata`s "Vimanas" are for us.

So, when the point comes in, say, 3120 that a shipyard produces a mighty flagship vessel, they might just choose to term it the "Constitution" and even build it in the image of that (for them) ancient myth, the same way someone in the present might name an aeroplane "Icarus".

Has already happened: There is a space shuttle termed "Enterprise" (see here:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise

... so why shouldn`t there be an advanced battle ship named "TIE Fighter" in the even farther future?

Just some ideas. Anyone should enjoy their personal(ised) version of Oolite, and if my arguments do not sway you, by all means modify it until it fits for you!

Cheers & have fun :)

L
Last edited by Lestradae on Thu May 01, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.