Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Screet wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
But this hammers my frame-rate - considering this laptop is a Core 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz), with two 512MB SLI'd 9800GTs and 6GB RAM - I really didn't expect my fps to fall to < 30 fps (OK I'm running at 1920x1200) - wondering how this will perform on my lowly Athlon 2800+ with a 128MB 6600GT...
Isn't the problem with SLI that it's only being used under certain circumstances (game developed for it or the driver being provided with specific info for that game)? Thus I'd expect that a system with only one of those cards would reach exactly the same speed...

Screet
The cards are SLI'd by default and very useful when running VBS2 (Virtual Battlespace 2) for work - so I understand that in Oolite I'm almost certainly running with only one card.

@Griff - it could be just me - 1920x1200 is fairly high res! And nobody else is complaining - if I get chance I'll see what it's like on my old desktop (XP2800+, 2.5GB RAM, 128MB GF6600GT) and report back
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

christ Daddy, that sound like a mad machine set-up, and if you're getting framerate drops it doesn't bode well for me. i mentioned on my Nuit thread that that structure screws my machine when i get close to her, for docking etc. on full shading, i start stuttering radically ~ i dunno if it's the combo of shading and quaternion calcs or what. i got an intel 3gig, 2 gig onboard but a sad little FX5700 : had a better card but it died :-(
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Griff wrote:
the porthole lights change colour using an 'alertlevel' shader uniform, this is only available for the player
Holly: "Purple alert! Purple alert!"
Lister: "What's a 'Purple Alert'?"
Holly: "Well, it's sort of like, not as bad as a red alert, but a bit worse than a blue alert. Kind of like a mauve alert, don't want to say 'mauve alert.'"
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Killer Wolf wrote:
christ Daddy, that sound like a mad machine set-up, and if you're getting framerate drops it doesn't bode well for me. i mentioned on my Nuit thread that that structure screws my machine when i get close to her, for docking etc. on full shading, i start stuttering radically ~ i dunno if it's the combo of shading and quaternion calcs or what. i got an intel 3gig, 2 gig onboard but a sad little FX5700 : had a better card but it died :-(
It is indeed a beast - to be honest - it's not a laptop - it's a portable desktop with a built in screen and keyboard - it weighs over 6kg - the battery lasts less than an hour if you ask it do do anything graphical and the psu itself is a 230W brick that weighs a couple of kilos on its own - definitely would not have bought one but its what work said I should have, so who am I to complain!

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/La ... &cs=ukdhs1

I've only just upgraded from a 5700 on my own home PC (and that card has hopefully gone to a better place :wink: )
Selezen wrote:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i made a quicktime .mov of the moray shaders running in rendermonkey, check it out if you want to see somebody cluelessly trying to rotate an object in a 3d app and getting it wrong :)
http://www.box.net/shared/tcrc5nne68
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Lovely work Griff!
Selezen wrote:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

For what it’s worth, it works fine on my iMac’s 256 MB Radeon HD 2600 at 1920 × 1200.

I have to say, though, that the combination of psychedelic shader effects with apparent metal plate construction looks a bit… nonsensical. A more plasticky-looking “advanced polymer” surface might work better. Possibly with a matte look to set it off from the crowd.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Ahruman wrote:
A more plasticky-looking “advanced polymer” surface might work better. Possibly with a matte look to set it off from the crowd.
That's going to stretch my abilities a bit though i think, i can only do the 3 R's - Rivets, Rust and uh, more Rivets :D
edit: I might be able to manage rusty rivets though at a stretch
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

Griff wrote:
i made a quicktime .mov of the moray shaders running in rendermonkey, check it out if you want to see somebody cluelessly trying to rotate an object in a 3d app and getting it wrong :)
http://www.box.net/shared/tcrc5nne68
WOW
do those colours ripple like that in game??
T
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Yes... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Griff wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
A more plasticky-looking “advanced polymer” surface might work better. Possibly with a matte look to set it off from the crowd.
That's going to stretch my abilities a bit though i think, i can only do the 3 R's - Rivets, Rust and uh, more Rivets :D
edit: I might be able to manage rusty rivets though at a stretch
You mean something like this

Image or this Image :?:

And if you're doing a rusty Python:

(Yeah, I know, those last ones are bolts...)
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

CheeseRedux wrote:
And if you're doing a rusty Python:

The Dubious Profit lands at a waterworld - much to the captain's consternation :?
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

That's an oddly familiar planet!

How hideously dull. I'll try to reshape it into something better.

slightly overdone

Wait! No wonder it looks so familiar! OH ....

:shock:
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

My god! What's the range on the laser you're using?!?!

And only a 1 credit bounty for earth? I thought the heinous crimes committed on that mostly harmless planet would've warranted a whole 10credits at least! :shock:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cows wrote:
That's an oddly familiar planet!
<snip>
How hideously dull. I'll try to reshape it into something better.

slightly overdone

<snip>
:shock:
My God man! You're flying a Vogon Construction Ship! Where do I get mine? :wink: 8)
Selezen wrote: