Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

is it just my eyes, or am I seeing some sort of cool depth of field effect with a_c's planet earth & cobra screenshot p0rn?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

lfnfan wrote:
is it just my eyes, or am I seeing some sort of cool depth of field effect with a_c's planet earth & cobra screenshot p0rn?
It's not depth of field as such I suspect, but simply, there are some points where the number of texels exactly match the number of available pixels on the screen to match 1:1 so you get a nice sharp image - before and after this point you'll have too many texture pixels (texels) for the number of pixels or too few, either way the gfx card will have to do some jiggery-pokery and you end up with a sort-of-blurry image.

HTH
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
It's not depth of field as such I suspect, but simply, there are some points where the number of texels exactly match the number of available pixels on the screen to match 1:1 so you get a nice sharp image - before and after this point you'll have too many texture pixels (texels) for the number of pixels or too few, either way the gfx card will have to do some jiggery-pokery and you end up with a sort-of-blurry image.
It also helps to configure the driver to use maximum rendering quality for Oolite to make ships look much better - and most cards still won't have a heavy load ;)

Screet
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Back to lame! :)

It's not my fault! "Launching probes at Tianve pulsar..." in other thread made me do this! ;)

notice the famous eye:

Image Image

I'll stop for a while now... proper texturing is hard.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Hopefully I'm not completely put to shame by Griff... Here's one of the SR2 systems with shaders. Have a few more ideas for this one, and the normal and specular maps need more work... But hey, it's my first go at 'em...

@Cmd Cheyd
Wow can I have that too in FP2 systems? I'm done with the first set of Galaxy2. But also Galaxy1 needs updating then. I can send you a beta OXP or something like that. Then we can streamline FP2 and SR2.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

@Goran. That's one fantastic probe.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

lfnfan wrote:
Nope, the pr0n has indeed depth! (not a phrase you hear too often)

Cheyd, your planet looks fantastic with normal maps & shaders and everything! I think I'm going to print it as the cd cover for my copy of the MNSR!
Well, unless something even better comes along, of course! :P

And Griff, thanks a million, without your examples, I think all of us would still be scratching our collective heads on how to do this kind of cool stuff!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i shouldn't get any credit, the shader is a merging of Ahrumans normal map shader and the lights on/off code and textures i used come from Rendermonkey's Earth example, i just put it all together and luckily it worked :D
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

pagroove wrote:
@Cmd Cheyd
Wow can I have that too in FP2 systems? I'm done with the first set of Galaxy2. But also Galaxy1 needs updating then. I can send you a beta OXP or something like that. Then we can streamline FP2 and SR2.
You can, but you may want to wait for Ahruman to finish the code in trunk. Right now, that planet is really just a big round ship. You can shoot it once with a mil-laser and it blows up. It has no aegis. Nothing else that really MAKES it a planet in the game-sense. These are just mock-ups to play with right now. If you notice, none have atmospheres yet. That part hasn't been decided on how it'll be done. Really, you can start playing with it, but I wouldn't sink a great deal of time into it unless you have it to kill, or are dealing with "artist block" like I am on making new textures.

You'll need to make a diffuse map, a specular intensity map, a normal map, and lastly a "city lights" map for each planet. Use Griff's OXP up above (or a page back) and just replace the textures in it. The specular intensity goes in the alpha channel of the diffuse. City lights goes in the alpha of the normal map.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Griff's latest: The Moray, here is the GalCop Rescue variant:
Image Image
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

V. nice - did you sort your shader issues then?

I've spawned a couple of these (I changed the name of the role of the player variant and then used the spawning script from griff's thargoid oxp) and I don't seem to get the port-hole lights (I'll try and get a screenie - I was put off by the disappearing daddyhoggy last time) - although I get the camo/rolling sea effect (which is fab!)

But this hammers my frame-rate - considering this laptop is a Core 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz), with two 512MB SLI'd 9800GTs and 6GB RAM - I really didn't expect my fps to fall to < 30 fps (OK I'm running at 1920x1200) - wondering how this will perform on my lowly Athlon 2800+ with a 128MB 6600GT...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
V. nice - did you sort your shader issues then?
Not really, but Griff has been very kind and sent me a version without the camo-shader, which is what is depicted above. If I get the opportunity, I will try to pinpoint what exactly is in the camo that makes things go bad.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
But this hammers my frame-rate - considering this laptop is a Core 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz), with two 512MB SLI'd 9800GTs and 6GB RAM - I really didn't expect my fps to fall to < 30 fps (OK I'm running at 1920x1200) - wondering how this will perform on my lowly Athlon 2800+ with a 128MB 6600GT...
Isn't the problem with SLI that it's only being used under certain circumstances (game developed for it or the driver being provided with specific info for that game)? Thus I'd expect that a system with only one of those cards would reach exactly the same speed...

Screet
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Fantastic!!! I like the way the lights shine out of the window
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

@DH, the porthole lights change colour using an 'alertlevel' shader uniform, this is only available for the player, so i think the porthole lights aren't showing up because the ships are getting an altertlevel of 0 and the shader is set to switch the lights off when this happens - try spawning some of the NPC morays and hopefully you'll get the lights. I'm a bit worried that the frame rate is taking such a hit - the moray shader is really badly written by me, it's full of stuff like

Code: Select all

baseTex.a * 9.0 * reflectionMap * EnvironmentMapColor * vec4(camo, 1.0) + baseTex + vec4(camo * baseTex.a, 1.0); 
i.e, lots of texture maps getting combined with each other and multipled and fed into other texture maps, maybe it's just too much? i can't even remember what that line above is trying to do, make the camo effect control the reflection map or something :?: :!: :?: