Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Screenshots

Post by cbr »

Wow, gold and looking menacing ! .Image
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

its certainly what I had in mind, while gold is now easy enough to archive (for example specular_color = (1.0, 0.766, 0.336)) I am currently experimenting to add some painting as well :wink:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

No need for a scanner to plunder on that one, just that old good pirate spyglass! :)
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Food for thought... :mrgreen:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

@another_commander

Those screenshots are amazing, the golden massurana in particular. Could you give me any hints on making my Fer-de-lance 3G 'deluxOTank' look like that? I can supply shipdata and textures. At present, that model looks like: EDIT: arg, how does one embed screenshots? Link: https://app.box.com/s/bvpsi8vr5bcpnqypgbr3yrvbc5s18msp
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

@UK_Eliter: This is the recommended reading for the new materials system: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19881

For a quick summary regarding metals, you can construct a pure metallic surface by following these two simple rules:
1. Set diffuse color to black or really, really close to black (e.g. 0.02, 0.02, 0.02 rgb). Metals do not emit diffuse colors, they only reflect and this is one of their characteristic attributes.
2. Set specular color to the metal's characterisitic specular. Metals are the only materials in nature that can have tinted specular reflections; all other materials normally reflect white specular color under a white light source. The obvious question here is: what are the characteristic speculars of most common metals? The link I posted above contains also pointers to this information, but you can find a simpler materials table here too: https://learnopengl.com/PBR/Theory. Go down to about 3/4 of that page and find the table with the F0 values. You want to use the F0 (linear) as your specular color rgb triplet.

The way the Mussurana was done was really easy. I took the original Staer9 model and replaced its diffuse map with a pure black texture. Then I set the specular color in shipdata, materials section, to the color of gold. Bam, done. Of course you can mix dielectric (i.e. non-metal) and metal materials on the same ship model by judicious use of your diffuse and specular maps. Just remember to paint the metal parts black on the diffuse and use the metal's specular on the specmap for the areas you want to have appear metallic.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

UK_Eliter wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:37 am
UK_Eliter wrote:
EDIT: arg, how does one embed screenshots? Link: https://app.box.com/s/bvpsi8vr5bcpnqypgbr3yrvbc5s18msp
You should find a file hosting service that allows direct link to uploaded files.
For example if you quote my last post, you will see the following code

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/vZV82gbN/image.png[/img]
I actually uploaded to postimages.org an image file named GirlyMobileCase.png.
It seems that box.com does not allow that.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Thanks for trying to help, another_commander. What you wrote will be of use to those better at this colour malarkey than I. I tried and .. created something green that glowed brown. I had not realised glowing brown was a possible visual sensation, but it turns out that it is. I restored the OXP from a backup. My Ferdie is now back to its rather drab original Tron-like greenness. Never mind.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Latest nightly with Reshade enabled.

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

A sight seldom seen. Indeed almost an 'easter-egg'. It's a painting - or, er, something - on a back wall of a salvage gang! The person who made this did a nice job!

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Lovely composition shot phkb 8)

I think the gaphics in Oolite have come a long way as many of the recent posts here illustrate.
Whenever I find myself admiring one thing howwever, I'm drawn to comparing it to the rest of the image...
Cobra Mk III - great
Engine trails - come a long way since the 'bunsen burner' days
Planetary rings - check and with nice ambient light on the dark side too
Star field - well, we know we can up the count
The star itself?...

Maybe it's that particular corona or maybe it's that the image is still and in game it would be dynamic, but for me it's the weakpoint of this image.

Don't want to finish on a downer here so again, lovely shot, lovely graphics, lovely game. Thanks to all who make it so :)
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Seriously ? :o Even Coriolis Stations couldn't be trusted nowadays :lol:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

montana05 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:49 am
Even Coriolis Stations couldn't be trusted nowadays
What model Coriolis is that?
PS. (just in case you didn't know) To avoid the Windows frame and accoutrements, you could press "shift-8" (ie "*") to take a screenshot that ends up in the "snapshots" folder in your save game folder.