Realistic Shipyards Development Thread :)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Argh.

Post by Lestradae »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :shock:

GalCoOp: Incoming Message

*** WANTED ***

(Preferrably) Dead or Alive: Captain Hesperus (Big furry cat)

Last seen in: Deep Space Dredger "Dubious Profit II"

Warning: Armed (with 10+ billion furry little Trumbles) & more than Dangerous

We seek an exterminator. Captain Hesperus is a vicious pine-scented catlike bungler who permitted millions of cute furry little trumbles to eat the hair of thousands of unsuspecting, innocent mostly harmless space traders. The victim, the owner of a maxed-out specially outfitted Deep Space Dredger must be reduced to space dust somewhere out there in the eight galaxies. To ensure the final rest of the criminal, a certain oxp has to be finished ASAP, and 1 million credits shall be awarded about his personal introduction to the Archangel Ahruman who sits to the right side of the Lord Bell.

Message Ends
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

This topic has been removed to 'Bellites x Brabenites x Guilesites : Heresies Galore'
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

By the way, Lestradae: While writing OXPs, it generally doesn't hurt to inform yourself before you change the whole Ooniverse.

For instance it costs you nothing to casually stroll over to the Elite Wiki, or to be precise to its Oolite-section and browse through the list of ships, (or the ship subcategory) until you find the Leviathan, which even tells you in which OXP to find it.

Another approach would be to use the OXP-list as a starting point, which conveniently lists also the ships and stations that are included in each OXP.

People have compiled and uploaded all this information, so that you are able to use it before you release something that causes a naming- (or other) problem.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@Commander McLane

Post by Lestradae »

it generally doesn't hurt to inform yourself before you change the whole Ooniverse
Commander McLane ... let it rest. In the next version the ship will be called "Juggernaut".

EDIT ... PS:

By the way, perhaps this might be of interest you: From the next version(s) (1.08+) on, there will be a "strict" and an expanded version of the Realistic Shipyards.

The expanded version will go on adding all sorts of stuff one might want or not want to have / fit into one`s game, the other will ONLY change prices and tech level spans for ships appearing without putting anything else in.

As you mentioned the calculation and spans being a good idea, and the stuff not fitting for you, just saying.
Last edited by Lestradae on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@Cmdr. Maegil

Post by Lestradae »

This topic has been removed to 'Bellites x Brabenites x Guilesites : Heresies Galore'
He said Braben! Stone him! Stone him! :P
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Re: @Cmdr. Maegil

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Lestradae wrote:
He said Braben! Stone him! Stone him! :P
It reminds me of Brian...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

It reminds me of Brian...
CERTAIN parallels just might be in there somewhere ... 8)

Shall we remove a sandal each?

:P

L
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Or write "I shall not say 'Braben'" 100 times. On Frontier Development's wall, of course! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Could that be a modification to an advert board... :lol: :lol:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Once again, awesome oxp, did you change the size of the Deep Space Dredger? I just got 3000 kills, half way to elite. Now I can buy a wolf and a imp carrier :twisted:, I will stick to "The Graceful Sofia" (my pcc [named after my little sister]) for now. I rob Deep Space Dredger's all the time, so the cat is in for it :twisted:.

Don't panic: FSOneblin

PS Maegil, do peaple still do that anymore?

PSS WHAT!?!?!?!?! 2800 kills! Thats not 300 kills, I blame Jack Thomson!
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I'm sorry for the 'obscure' alusion... I was talking, of course, of Monty Python's Life of Brian.

However, and AFAIK, people are still stoned in certain parts of the world.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
I'm sorry for the 'obscure' alusion... I was talking, of course, of Monty Python's Life of Brian.

I knew about the stoning, I wish I dident. I was talking about the writing stuff on the chalkboard 100 times.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

FSOneblin wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:

I knew about the stoning, I wish I dident. I was talking about the writing stuff on the chalkboard 100 times.
Bart Simpson does. Write things on the board, I mean, not getting stoned.

Yet!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Or write "I shall not say 'Braben'" 100 times. On Frontier Development's wall, of course! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As in this example.
And as for stoning......

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: @Commander McLane

Post by Commander McLane »

Lestradae wrote:
By the way, perhaps this might be of interest you: From the next version(s) (1.08+) on, there will be a "strict" and an expanded version of the Realistic Shipyards.

The expanded version will go on adding all sorts of stuff one might want or not want to have / fit into one`s game, the other will ONLY change prices and tech level spans for ships appearing without putting anything else in.
Now, that's finally a really good idea! :D

As you certainly have figured out yourself :wink: , I have strong objections against the idea of making every ship buyable for the player. In my opinion there are a lot of ships that are simply not meant to be available on the open market, and so they should under no circumstances become available. (So even not with a super-high price-tag or a certain kill-requirement, or both.)

A very broad definition of those ships which are not meant to be available for the player would include all ships whose original authors haven't made them available. Just because I believe those authors had a good reason for not doing so.

Now that would be a really broad definition. Because you or I could as well have a good reason to differ from the original author.

So I have another, narrower definition for "ships which are not meant to be available". This includes all ships for which -- in a game-perspective! -- it simply makes no sense to have them available on the open market.

In my opinion, for instance all military and police ships fall under this category. Never ever would a player be able to buy one. Because I think it makes sense to assume that even 1000 years from now police vessels are exclusively for the police, and military vessels are exclusively for the military. And the player simply is neither police nor military. You could argue that all space pilots by definition belong to the reserve military, which is true. But even in the real world no reserve-navy-captain is allowed to purchase his own, private cruiser, destroyer, dreadnaught or carrier. And Maegil, whom we know to be on a boat, for sure was never offered to buy a military ship. It makes no sense, and it makes no sense in Oolite's world either. Therefore, to be frank, I think it's a big cheat to make military ships available.

In my opinion, also the Dredger falls under this category. After all, this ship is just a myth. :wink: Thanks to a friendly scripter we are able to encounter this old Elite myth for real in Oolite, but I think this is enough of an encounter. It shouldn't be possible to purchase one.

And there are for sure a couple of other ships, which, for simple reasons of in-game-logic, never should be available for the player.

So for me it is no good news that you made them available in your OXP. You won't be surprised to know that I wouldn't even consider to download realistic shipyards, let alone install it, as it is now in 1.07.

Actually this last weekend I had the idea that I could produce a stripped-off variant of it and upload it under a name like "realistic shipyards without cheating". It would contain only those ships which IMO make sense to have in a shipyard (oh, and before I forget: I would also delete the cloaking device from the available equipment; it is not meant to be buyable, you have to earn it; or else a certain mission in Galaxy 5 would stop making sense; and it's cheating as well).

So I am pleased to hear that you came up with essentially the same idea. :) I would consider installing an OXP which only brings a formula to the pricing of the existing ships.

Anything else would kill too much of the intrinsic logic, and therefore the fun of the game. Just my humble opinion.